PDA

View Full Version : Hey Whitey!

justbob
03-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Remember back in your apprenticeship how they explained that Plumbers are first and have the right of way due to being the only trade that has pitched pipes?

What the hell happened to that theory? :)

I swear to god, the next time I am "told" by the GC that the "Fitters will be at 11'6 3/4" center of pipe" (or whatever elevation) and the trusses are at 12'0" with a finished ceiling height of 11'0" because "that's what their shop designed it at" can blow me! :D

They just decide to go right down the center of available dead space!

The current pre school I am at, I FINALLY bumped into the Fitters measuring guy (after I already beat him to the job and ran over 200' of roof drains :neener: ) and he was like "I think we might have an interference in only three areas"
Not even looking down to him from my lift I uttered "best bring some extra victaulic 45's and 90's.."

As he walked off I couldn't help but to laugh on the inside...!

Truth be told I spent WAY too much time print reading to steer clear from him and the tinner because I actually believe in getting along and not screwing the next guy, plus I sure as hell don't feel like moving my installed work..

But every job anymore to be told "that's the way the shop designed it" don't you guys do anything in the field as for layout? Or do you simply just put together someone else's puzzle? That would be boring as hell! When my boss sends me to a job, it's my baby from the start till the end. All design, all layout, all ordering, how many guys, job boxes, inspections, the whole shebang. Stressful? Most definitely. But way better than having precut/welded pipe delivered and a picture of where it all goes LOL!

Discuss fellow brother.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

whitey
03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Well, in my apprenticeship, i was never told that anybody has the right of way. I guess as long as people can take a dump before they burn, its all good:P. As for for the design, the designers do that, as for inspections, inspectors do that. We simply are putting together a puzzle on the job, and for the most part, we have to move around others work all the time....a lot of it is due to poor design from the designers, and when that happens we have to design for that aspect of installation. Keep in mind that we have codes to follow also, but its mainly sprinkler head spacing, and pipe hanger spacing. If you need to have a certain pitch, then thats it....we have to move our lines(as long as its a wet system).
Remember that were just the dumb plumbers, and we can bite our fingernails when we want. :neener:

justbob
03-08-2014, 02:13 PM
LOL Just busting your chops!

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

lji372
03-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Yep just a bunch of unedgumacated folk......

I sure miss my vocational classes........