PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Wireless security camera you can view remotely?

Zack
03-22-2014, 07:01 AM
I'm trying to buy a single camera to watch the dogs when we are gone.
There is a lot of confusion in the descriptions of these cameras.

A lot of cameras are 'in-network' only, which means you can only view them in the range of your wifi router.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions for me?
Thanks

Limited360
03-22-2014, 07:02 AM
costco sells some decent multi camera systems... and if your not happy return... I know you said single.. but... always nice to have extra views...

We set up my dad's shop with an 8 camera system from their... worked like a champ! He is 64 and can sort out how to watch on his android phone!

Zack
03-22-2014, 07:05 AM
I am installing an 8 camera system this spring/summer, but want something right now.
Looking for a stand alone unit.

lji372
03-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Radio shack has one you can maneuver remotely from your phone

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=26702686

Limited360
03-22-2014, 07:09 AM
I am installing an 8 camera system this spring/summer, but want something right now.
Looking for a stand alone unit.

Understood... no help their... sorry!

kmastl
03-22-2014, 07:37 AM
For less than $100 you can pick up a Foscam WiFi camera. They call these IP cameras. If you want to allow this traffic past your router/firewall all you have to do is forward the port to allow the video stream outside your lan and then configure your clients aka phones or whatever you use. I have setup several of these systems and the Foscam IP cameras seem to be hit or miss, make sure you have the latest firmware. All IP cctv cameras work on the same principle and use your lan to communicate.

If you plan on using multiple wireless IP cameras I strongly recommend using separate APs for that traffic than you use for laptops etc.

Are you planning on going with an all-in-one setup on your 8 camera system? Using IP cameras can get much more complex than an out of the box all-in-one setup.

Zack
03-22-2014, 07:40 AM
For less than $100 you can pick up a Foscam WiFi camera. They call these IP cameras. If you want to allow this traffic past your router/firewall all you have to do is forward the port to allow the video stream outside your lan and then configure your clients aka phones or whatever you use. I have setup several of these systems and the Foscam IP cameras seem to be hit or miss, make sure you have the latest firmware. All IP cctv cameras work on the same principle and use your lan to communicate.

If you plan on using multiple wireless IP cameras I strongly recommend using separate APs for that traffic than you use for laptops etc.

Are you planning on going with an all-in-one setup on your 8 camera system? Using IP cameras can get much more complex than an out of the box all-in-one setup.

I was planning on buying a system from cctvhotdeals.com.

I want the single camera for watching the dogs right now.

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-22-2014, 09:20 AM
The nightowl stuff is pretty good. They have remote viewing from smartphone, and their DVR system is pretty easy to use.

http://nightowlsp.com/products/analog-security-systems/8-channel.html

They also have these on specials at Fry's in Downers Grove all the time.

Mike M
03-22-2014, 09:36 AM
I use Foscams at home and my business and view on my IPhone. Ipad or any p.c. 2 way sound is cool too.
As with any I.P. Camera they are a ***** to set up. But once they are configured they are great.

Option #2 is just get a cheap camera that wifi to your local computer. Then get Logmein , free download but I upgraded to the 39 dollar version and be anywhere on the planet and log into the PC at home and see your screen.

Nothing like laying on the beach in Hawaii and watching who is doing what at my shop and seeing what is happening at my house (teenagers).

fastblackmerc
03-22-2014, 10:09 AM
You want an IP camera.

http://www.ipcamera.biz/categories/Outdoor-IP-Network-Cameras/

Zack
03-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Im thinking about these 2:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W-Network-Camera-Two-Way/dp/B006ZP8UOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395508918&sr=1-1&keywords=ip+camera+wireless
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CL8F98W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

MyBlackBeasts
03-22-2014, 03:14 PM

A lot of cameras are 'in-network' only, which means you can only view them in the range of your wifi router.

Thanks

Zach, this is a simple plug & play unit that you can view on a smart phone.

https://www.dropcam.com/

Donald
03-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Zack,

I use Foscam IP cameras. Check my cams at

The ones looking outside have the IR function turned off. The inside image one (lower right) has it on so you can 'see' in the dark.

This is a page I set up to access the cams from outside my network. The cameras have built in web server for setup purposes. With correct authority you can pan and tilt the cams and turn the IR on and off remotely. There is an app for IOS that allows you to remotely control the cams. There also may be an Android app.

FWIW, Dropcam uses your wi-fi to send the images to their site and then to your IOS device.

Thanks

Mike M
03-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Zack,

I use Foscam IP cameras. Check my cams at
http://www.ibmjunkman.com/cameras.htm

The ones looking outside have the IR function turned off. The inside image one (lower right) has it on so you can 'see' in the dark.

This is a page I set up to access the cams from outside my network. The cameras have built in web server for setup purposes. With correct authority you can pan and tilt the cams and turn the IR on and off remotely. There is an app for IOS that allows you to remotely control the cams. There also may be an Android app.

FWIW, Dropcam uses your wi-fi to send the images to their site and then to your IOS device.

I use Foscams as well, are you recording yours to hardrive?

Donald
03-24-2014, 05:27 AM
That is the plan. I built a PC to serve up MP3s and to use as a recorder using Blue Iris software.

These are indoor cams but I had one mounted in my covered entrance. I liked the email with pics I got at work when the UPS guy dropped off a package. I am thinking of upgrading to the HD cams.

But then again I am now retired. The empty house time has dropped significantly. :)

I use Foscams as well, are you recording yours to hardrive?

Zack
03-24-2014, 05:41 AM
I ordered the Foscam. Thanks guys.

Donald
03-24-2014, 06:43 AM
PM me if you need help with the setup.

I ordered the Foscam. Thanks guys.

JBeezy
06-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I may order Foscams. I need something quick and Radio Shack doesn't have any in stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk