PDA

View Full Version : battery issue again? Need advice

jerrym3
03-23-2014, 06:20 AM
I replaced the original bettery on my 03 TBird in Jan, 2013.

Dec, 2013, new battery goes dead. (No lights or anything else were left on. Car's not a daily driver (I do try to use her at least once per week), but when in the garage, she's not even locked.

Dealer replaces the battery, and checks the charging system. Everything passes.

Haven't used the car much this winter due to the snow/salt, but I did have it out about two weeks ago. Started right up.

Today, went to start her.

Cranked a while, didn't start, and then the lights started flashing and the horn started honking.

Turned the key off, tried again, started right up.

Ideas??

Thanks.

PS, I don't have the knowledge and/or tools to trouble shoot her myself, but I'm hoping that somebody has had a similar problem with their Marauder.

massacre
03-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Does it have remote start?

fastblackmerc
03-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Make sure all the battery connections (+ & - )are clean and tight.

rayjay
03-23-2014, 09:56 AM
We have 02 LS8, same car, different body. If ours sits more than 2 days it goes dead. Right now its parked in the garage due to being broken, again. :mad: I have to disconnect he battery or something is draining it down to zero. Seneca is pretty familiar with this family of Ford/Jag franken cars. Maybe he knows.

Jim, battery is in the trunk.

Glenn
03-23-2014, 10:27 AM
I replaced the original bettery on my 03 TBird in Jan, 2013.

Dec, 2013, new battery goes dead. (No lights or anything else were left on. Car's not a daily driver (I do try to use her at least once per week), but when in the garage, she's not even locked.

Dealer replaces the battery, and checks the charging system. Everything passes.

Haven't used the car much this winter due to the snow/salt, but I did have it out about two weeks ago. Started right up.

Today, went to start her.

Cranked a while, didn't start, and then the lights started flashing and the horn started honking.

Turned the key off, tried again, started right up.

Ideas??

Thanks.

PS, I don't have the knowledge and/or tools to trouble shoot her myself, but I'm hoping that somebody has had a similar problem with their Marauder.

You have a drain on the battery somewhere. Easiest solution is to go to a car parts store and buy a "Battery Tender" to trickle charge the battery while it is in the garage. I use one and it works great.

Glenn

fastblackmerc
03-23-2014, 10:54 AM
We have 02 LS8, same car, different body. If ours sits more than 2 days it goes dead. Right now its parked in the garage due to being broken, again. :mad: I have to disconnect he battery or something is draining it down to zero. Seneca is pretty familiar with this family of Ford/Jag franken cars. Maybe he knows.

Jim, battery is in the trunk.

How to find what is draining the battery:

Disconnect the negative battery terminal
Disconnect the positive battery terminal
Reconnect the negative terminal
Connect a 12v test light between the positive battery terminal and the positive battery terminal clamp
The test light should be lit
Start pulling fuses, when the light goes out something on that circuit is causing the drain
Replace the fuse
Disconnect each component on the circuit until the light goes out again
What ever is disconnected is causing the drain

NOTE: you should disconnect the negative battery terminal first so you don't cause any sparks. Same with jump starting... always connect to the positive terminal first, then the negative terminal.

Ray - there should be a positive connecting point somewhere in the engine compartment.

rayjay
03-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks Jim, I'll look into it when I have it back on the road. I have too much $$$ into it to just dump it, plus its momma's and she loves the thing. :rolleyes: