PDA

View Full Version : CVT transmission

Marylandrauder
03-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Looking at several 2014 cars with CVT-opinions??

Mr. Man
03-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Personally hate them. To me the CVT just makes the car more of an appliance. There is no feeling of life just the boring drone as the car moves along. With the new 8 speed transmissions coming online, which is overkill to me as well, but at least the car shifts. JM2cents.:)

fastblackmerc
03-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Most cars with CVT's get poor ratings.

Personally I don't like them. Have driven many different models and they all s**ked.

whitey
03-23-2014, 12:23 PM
My scooter has a cvt tranny:)

Joe Walsh
03-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Yep....Any car that won't let me run through the gears is b-o-r-i-n-g.....:snore:

Besides.....I don't trust a chain getting squeezed between 2 metal plates that are being spun by any substantial amount of torque and horsepower.

lji372
03-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Don't walk RUN AWAY!!!

RUN FASTER!!!!!

Roadwarrior
03-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Long term reliability would be my concern with CVT's.

88LTDCV351
03-23-2014, 03:02 PM
My Versa seems just fine to me.

Joe Walsh
03-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Besides.....I don't trust a chain getting squeezed between 2 metal plates that are being spun by any substantial amount of torque and horsepower.

My Versa seems just fine to me.

Like I said.....LOL

dohc324ci
03-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Well my 2007 GTI has a dual clutch trans and is fun to drive! Rev matched shifts, I can place in sport mode and it does a better job than me manually shifting via paddles. Dsg equipped cars shift faster and provide better performance than manual versions.

lji372
03-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Like I said.....LOL
:high5:

Next subject :lol:

JoeBoomz
03-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I love the technology and can't wait for it to mature further. Shifting gears is so inefficient.

When you mash the pedal a CVT can get you the most power out of your engine no matter what speed you are at. Traditional gears rarely put your RPM's in the engine's prime power band.

If there was a solid cvt option I could consider for my Marauder I would seriously look at it.

wannaMM
03-25-2014, 01:48 PM
With being "In Excess" of 200000 miles on my Escape Hybrid (With a CVT) I can honestly say that I'm impressed with the concept...I bought my Marauder to sideline the Escape,but can't bring myself to sell it ,as its been the most reliable,cost efficient car I've ever owned......Still getting 30+ MPG and NEVER been in for ANYTHING other than recalls (2)....

RF Overlord
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
The company I work for uses Escape Hybrids and I haven't heard of one failure with the CVT yet...many of them are 6 years old and are not well cared for.

With that said, I drove a colleagues' Escape once and it was the most gutless car I've driven in the last 30 years. My 2001 Safari AWD tonka-toy van would pass it like it was on jacks.

For the record, THE most gutless was a 1982 Chevy Luv automatic...oh, the horror....

Curless
03-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Take a look at the FORD, yes I said FORD Freestyle...what a complete pile of S--t! They are all done at 70,000 miles, there are no parts available at all, the only two places you can get a replacement from are FORD and Transtar.....they are only $4000 at my cost to buy the unit, then you have to put it in...CVT? Not a chance in HELL.

88LTDCV351
05-16-2016, 09:05 AM
About a week ago my Versa started making this whirring noise. And Saturday we were going to drive it two hours to Fort Ross (the old Russian fort) and as I got through a toll booth, the car would not accelerate. Then it would finally accelerate but very slowly. Once we get to highway speeds, we are ok. But as soon as traffic stops, its hard to accelerate again. We managed to get back home. Now car won't move.

The 2012 Nissan Versa S has the CVT. We have 98,000+ miles.

Is the CVT transmission fried?

96gt4.6
05-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Just for some clarification, the Ford eCVT found in the Hybrids, is NOT the same as the CVT's found in the Freestyle and Five Hundreds. They are nowhere near the same whatsoever.

The CVT's in the Five Hundreds and Freestyle's were notorious for failure, and as stated, no parts available and if you can source them, big $$ to fix.

On the Hybrid side of things, little to no failure rate whatsoever. But again, mechanically speaking they are night/day apart internally and not even the same concept on how they function other than being continuously variable. One uses a chain between two adjustable hubs ran by a high pressure oil system, the other a single planet assembly with a generator/starter motor, traction motor and input shaft from gas engine.

johnnyrauder
05-16-2016, 11:08 AM
my son had a 02 altima they wanted $3200. to bad the rest of the car was good. A nice commuter. he sold it eventually.

BUCKWHEAT
05-16-2016, 11:54 AM
About a week ago my Versa started making this whirring noise. And Saturday we were going to drive it two hours to Fort Ross (the old Russian fort) and as I got through a toll booth, the car would not accelerate. Then it would finally accelerate but very slowly. Once we get to highway speeds, we are ok. But as soon as traffic stops, its hard to accelerate again. We managed to get back home. Now car won't move.

The 2012 Nissan Versa S has the CVT. We have 98,000+ miles.

Is the CVT transmission fried?

A friend bought two Nissans with CVT. She didn't learn the first time. Each made it to 125k miles & crapped out. Worse, the replacements only come thru Nissan, at $4,200 ea, before install.
Don't know anything about the new Fords, but Freestyle was a POS.

96gt4.6
05-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Don't know anything about the new Fords, but Freestyle was a POS.

Unfortunately, the Freestyle and Five Hundred's with the CVT are indeed not something I would want to personally own.

In fact, the only other trans they offer in them is the AISIN 6-speed, which has valve body issues above 100k miles. No parts serviced internally except for the valve body.

In general, Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle, I wouldn't want to chance with over 100k, or at all honestly.

The only new Ford with a CVT are the Hybrids, which would be Fusion and C-MAX, and are completely different transmissions with a proven track record of rarely an issue.

The 6F35 and PowerShift 6 speed in the Fusion/Escape and Fiesta/Focus however, are a different story.....for another day and thread.

Fastbob
05-16-2016, 02:48 PM
When considering vehicles if the word CVT comes up I move on. Too many issues with them.

BLACKMARAUDER04
05-16-2016, 05:07 PM
My Lincoln MKS w/ Ecoboost (Taurus SHO ) have the CVT.
No problems. I can paddle shift if I want to.

LIGHTNIN1
05-16-2016, 05:31 PM
I own a Nissan with one. Will not own another.Too many of them fail.Manufacturers are using them in their low end cars and suvs. Better to do like we did and buy a slightly used higher end car for same as a car with the CVT.

Gryphonzus
05-17-2016, 03:38 AM
Stay away from the Focus too. My son and my niece both have one and they are in the shop almost as much as they drive them. All for transmission problems.

DrZ
05-17-2016, 03:54 AM
A CVT is a Crappy Vehicle Transmission :argue: in a 2013 Honda Accord. Just an opinion and a short lived relationship.

GoldPanther
05-17-2016, 04:38 AM
Just try to stay away from CVT transmissions.

JustRight
05-19-2016, 10:26 AM
I was a little concerned about the CVT when we bought our new Outback because I'm old school and like to feel a crisp shift and had read about some of the manufacturers having problems with theirs.

After owning it for 2 years now, I can positively say it works quite well in this four cylinder car. We no longer have that annoying downshift with the engine revving up real high going up steep inclines. If you want to feel the shift, you can use the paddle shifters. With the CVT, the car has consistently gotten over 32 MPG average. 31 1/2 MPG in the winter due to warm ups and 33.1 to 33.4 MPG in the summer.

The Japanese did a good job with the Subaru CVT. My wife doesn't ever want any other car but a Subi now. They built this car with the mechanic in mind. And, it is the only car I've ever owned in my life that I don't have to jack up to change the oil. :D

NXSBOB
05-19-2016, 10:48 AM
One gear away from being a powerglide.

JustRight
05-19-2016, 08:05 PM
One gear away from being a powerglide.

So true.:D

88LTDCV351
05-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Just got the call from Nissan. New CVT transmission is needed for $3,900. Will take them about a week to replace it.

lji372
05-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Burn any cvt tansmission car with fire.......the end