PDA

View Full Version : ~~Our Great American Road Trip ~~ (Apr 25-May 3)

Mebot
03-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Great American Road Trip

As mentioned in the CAM forum: (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92071), my wife and I will be relocating from Northern Virginia to Seattle, Washington. We are taking advantage of the relocation to drive across country. We’ll be taking the northern route to see some family in Detroit and then Wisconsin. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I wanted to post this up to see if anyone might be along the route we can try to say hi or catch lunch/dinner or maybe just point out some interesting/unique attractions to hit up.

We’ll be leaving o/a April 25 and will head north from Virginia to Detroit to see some of my family. We will probably head to Chicago the next day because I don’t think the ferry across Lake Michigan to Green Bay is going to be operational. After Chicago we head up to Mosinee, WI to see some of Michelle’s family.

Day 3 we plan to leave Wisconsin and plan to drive to I-90 to Sioux Falls, SD

The next couple of days will be along the I-90 corridor. We’d like to stop at some National Parks (if they’re open):
· Mt. Rushmore
· Badlands National Park
· Thunder Basin National Grassland
· Devil’s Tower
· Yellowstone/Grand Teton (not sure if Yellowstone is open…)

Ending our trip with a stopover in Coeur D’Alene, ID for the night then keeping on I-90 to Seattle. We would like to wrap up by Saturday May 3. I think this gives us ample time to see some sights and enjoy the open road.
It would be great to catch up with any MM.net owners along the way. Again, we'll be finalizing the trip in the next couple weeks and I should have a better idea of where exactly we'll be. But hopefully this will help give a rough estimate of our plans.

Also for the folks in Chicago, I’m going to see if we might be able to catch a baseball game while we’re there.

Thanks for reading! Hope to see you along the way!
-Ryan

Mebot
03-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Also, before anyone asks, Not sure if we're driving the Marauder or my wife's Fusion just yet..

Still debating

Motorhead350
03-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Stop by.

Feel free to crash if you want. I have an extra bedroom.

WhatsUpDOHC
03-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Subscribing!!!
A Cross country trip has always has been a dream of mine!!
Enjoy the trip and the journey.

Motorhead350
03-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Subscribing!!!

I highly recommend. It beats therapy. The places you go, the people you meet, the sites you see and it's even better if you do not have any set plans or time limit.

lji372
03-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Did you say detroit??

:woohoo:

Bonus visit from Ryan and his better half!!!

L.Mark
03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Did you say detroit??

:woohoo:

Bonus visit from Ryan and his better half!!!

Be gentle Jerry, it won't be like hot tub time machine...

Haggis
03-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Be gentle Jerry, it won't be like hot tub time machine...

No more like The Hangover Part II.

lji372
03-27-2014, 05:04 AM
No more like The Hangover Part II.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Dang it Gordon! :lol:

Mebot
03-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Stop by.

Feel free to crash if you want. I have an extra bedroom.

Thanks, we'll see what our itinerary looks like as it gets firmed up

Subscribing!!!

Yes me too. A cross country trip has always been something I wanted to do. In fact when my friends talk about backpacking in Europe or traveling OCONUS, I say I'd rather see my own country first. I wasn't sure when I would be able to do this, and I honestly was thinking when we have kids it would be great when they're a little older to take them across the country.

Did you say detroit??

Technically Canton, MI is where my cousin lives so yeah, nearby.

Mebot
04-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Update

We leave next Wednesday Apr 23
4/23: Pittsburgh, PA - hope to see some Pirate action at PNC Park!
4/24: Detroit, MI (Canton) - hope to arrive early for the 1pm Tiger game at Comerica park!
4/25: Chicago, IL - hope we can make White Sox game at US Cellular!
4/26: Mosinee, WI
4/27: Sioux Falls, SD
4/28: Rapid City, SD - Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Devils Tower, Thunder Basin National Grassland, Grand Teton, etc..
4/29: TBA, Yellowstone National Park (if accessible)
4/30: TBA, Yellowstone National Park (if accessible)
5/1: Couer D'Alene, ID
5/2 or 5/3: Arrive Seattle, WA

If you will be near any of those location on or around those dates and would like to meet up, let me know! send me a PM with contact info. We will do our best to accommodate you!

Mebot
04-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Also, before anyone asks, Not sure if we're driving the Marauder or my wife's Fusion just yet..

Still debating

Debate settled. We'll be taking the Fusion. Michelle will need to start work in Everett so she will need a vehicle to get to work when we arrive.

Motorhead350
04-17-2014, 02:32 PM
See you soon. I have a spare bedroom and a pullout couch.

Let me know.

WhatsUpDOHC
04-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Debate settled. We'll be taking the Fusion. Michelle will need to start work in Everett so she will need a vehicle to get to work when we arrive.

DANG. I was looking forward to some Marauder pics with backgrounds from the journey. Bon voyage!

Mebot
04-18-2014, 03:12 AM
There's the distinct possibility I may drive across country later in May/June for my final move, but not sure yet..

1Marauder
04-24-2014, 10:29 PM
When you do drive the Marauder... Please get a pic of the MM and the Devils Tower... Always a dream of mine to see it.

1Marauder
04-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Drive safe and have fun!

Curless
04-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the phone call yesterday, hope to see you this afternoon!

Motorhead350
04-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Tonight you're getting a deep dish.

lji372
04-25-2014, 07:28 AM
it was great having dinner and drinks with you guys last night :beer:

drive safe

HammerDown
04-25-2014, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=Mebot;1375119]

Yes me too. A cross country trip has always been something I wanted to do. In fact when my friends talk about backpacking in Europe or traveling OCONUS, I say I'd rather see my own country first. I wasn't sure when I would be able to do this, and I honestly was thinking when we have kids it would be great when they're a little older to take them across the country.

QUOTE]
My Dad did this one summer--took all 4 weeks of vacation at once (us kids were 17, 15 & 11) and we drove across country & back (Pennsylvania to California)--it was a great trip with lots of memories and places we saw.

You & Michelle enjoy the trip and be safe!!! Looking forward to some pics when you can post.

Ken
04-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Great seeing you two Wednesday night, Didn't have the heart to tell you that you overshot Pittsburgh by two and a half hours. Good Choice! :D

8UWITH6
04-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Heard Tagalong ate a chubby today...............do tell, LOL

Motorhead350
04-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Heard Tagalong ate a chubby today...............do tell, LOL

He paid for a cubby and I got a ****.... that's chicken for those of you who do not know livestock.

lji372
04-27-2014, 03:19 AM
He paid for a cubby and I got a ****.... that's chicken for those of you who do not know livestock.

Oh I know what livestock is!!! :D

8UWITH6
04-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks for taking her out to lunch Ryan and Dom.

Motorhead350
04-27-2014, 11:16 AM
No problem man.

Mebot
04-28-2014, 07:47 AM
Yeah no worries it was just kind of funny that Kelly was in Chicago same time as us. Glad we all got to meet up. Dom, that record store is awesome! Wish I could have spent more time in there!