PDA

View Full Version : Cut off age for an older car?

Motorhead350
03-27-2014, 04:38 PM
100% serious. If you find a car with low miles... say around 20,000 ish, but it's 10 years old or older, can it still be dependable?

I know to look for the usual stuff like belts, hoses, tires, fluids and the battery. Say all of that stuff is good or replaced, can the car be used on a daily basis?

I am sure "it all depends" but I want to know from the experts of this board.

No I do not know anything about cars and no I did not find anything, but if I found a 98 Mark 8 with 15,000 miles from Florida, I'd like to use it as a DD is that was logical. Right now, I am not sure what is. Other than a car with zero miles will be the most dependable.

Thank you for your insight.

Chevyguy
03-27-2014, 04:47 PM
A mark VIII would be a PIA for a dailiy driver. 2 miles of wires, nothing but headaches

Bitchin cars though

I would say anything before the 2000's is not a great daily driver candidate. Second car you may drive a fair bit, but you need a better one as the main squeeze

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-27-2014, 04:49 PM
For the most part I would say it can be dependable... but the problem is our crap geographical location which ruins cars here with the harsh winters. Older cars didn't have the advancements new cars have regarding coatings and such for rust problems.. the older hoses and rubber parts may be already deteriorated of which will be sped up with these winters.. Newer cars are better altogether, for example my 93 towncar I loved as a daily but the stupid tie rod design back then was crap and the car would keep snapping tie rods because of the crappy Chicago streets. Have not had an issue with my '03 Grand marquis as they addressed the faulty design.

I would look for a good deal on a well kept car that is 6 years old or less. Better gas mileage, more dependability, less headaches..

L.Mark
03-27-2014, 04:52 PM
What I would be concerned with is the air bags on the air ride. Using it as a DD they won't be use to being pumped up and down. I see a very likely potential for leaking. Plus how have the 15,000 been put on it. gradually from new till now is the best. But if they are old miles and it has sat for a good length of time, I would be very leary of this car as a daily. Plus all the new bugs are still in the car that you would have to deal with...

Motorhead350
03-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Guys, I threw a mark 8 out there as an example.

I am no where near ready to buy. Just trying to gain some knowledge for when the time comes.

JoeBoomz
03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Dom go look at some new cars as well. The lower priced options are actually great value and cheap if you pay monthly on a 0% or low interest rate. Then you also have a warranty for the first few years as well.

We have always outright bought used, but last year we decided to look for a new dd that was good on gas. We settled on a Hyundai Elantra (FULLY LOADED including Bluetooth) that is silly cheap on gas and costs us about 250 a month. The gas savings alone made the car free for us compared to the used vehicles we would have instead bought for about half the price. And it's better than putting out 10K or more in one shot for something aged that may or may not have warranty.

Wags
03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Dom,

Everything depends on how well a car has been maintained and treated. I've seen many low low mileage cars that are not dependable at all while on the other side Ive seen many cars 10+ yrs old that are just as reliable as when new. My Exploder (12 yrs old) is a very dependable DD and is just about at 200K miles. Starts up when -40 and blows ice cold air when it's 100. Maintenance and how it was treated are the keys more than low mileage IMHO.

Wags

guspech750
03-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Dom, look for a 2006 or older "heavy duty" pickup, like an F-250 or Dodge 2500 for example. The are exempt from emissions and run forever.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Motorhead350
03-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

My Marauder is still DD worthy right now.

The comments and advice given is very helpful.

Mebot
03-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Maintenance and how it was treated are the keys more than low mileage IMHO.

Bingo.

Also as cars keep rolling off the assembly line, the harder it is to do "shadetree mechanic" stuff. Meaning a lot of cars now are controlled by computers and have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and flapjack machines in the trunk

You get a 10 or 20 yr old car without all those whiz bang parts and it becomes easier to maintain and repair.

L.Mark
03-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Bingo.

Also as cars keep rolling off the assembly line, the harder it is to do "shadetree mechanic" stuff. Meaning a lot of cars now are controlled by computers and have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and flapjack machines in the trunk

You get a 10 or 20 yr old car without all those whiz bang parts and it becomes easier to maintain and repair.

Yeah buddy!!! I'll take my 82 Cougar XR7 for a daily runner all day long...not that I would trade the Marauder in...:D

88CuttyClassic
03-27-2014, 07:06 PM
The only reason im still not driving my 97 lesabre as a daily is because ive always wanted a marauder. I plan on driving it for atleast the next 10 years. My dad DDs a 92 GM. Other than faded paint its stil like new with 180k on it! Old cars are old but they also have less stuff to break. I wish cars could be as simple as 80s gm b-bodies. I still see them on the road!

L.Mark
03-27-2014, 07:29 PM
My DD was my 92 LSC till the Marauder. I'm trying to go BACk to driving it daily...but I just LOVE driving the 'rauder...:D

martyo
03-27-2014, 07:41 PM
I daily drive a 1992 Caddy I picked up with less than 50,000 on the clock. Occasionally I do have to change the radio station and the oil.

Motorhead350
03-27-2014, 07:49 PM
I daily drive a 1992 Caddy I picked up with less than 50,000 on the clock. Occasionally I do have to change the radio station and the oil.

Would you trust it to drive a road trip up north?

martyo
03-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Would you trust it to drive a road trip up north?

I would drive it to California and back. I drive it to the ATL from Rednecktopia three days a week - I would drive it more but I work from home two days a week. I have put 4.000 mikes on it since I bought it on 1/1/14.

Motorhead350
03-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Lucky man!

boatmangc
03-28-2014, 03:29 AM
98 Mark 8'with 15000 miles on it will need in short order,
Blend door
Jmod, lots of 1-2 accumulator issues with both of mine. One bought new, one with 30000 miles on it.
Most likely air ride headaches.

Awesome car when you get them straight though.
I still miss mine.

99SVT
03-28-2014, 06:05 AM
It's a catch 22 for older cars with low miles. The ones with 0 options and nothing to break have been miled out by use as a dd for years. The low mileage cars are usually the higher priced luxury cars with lots of questionable older electronics.

Steer away from older fuel injection. Especially OBD1 stuff, so 96 and older unless you want to replace every sensor and vacuum line in the car.

For dd vehicles I buy cars that are roughly 3 years old. Can be found for half the new price, still have a bit of powertrain warranty and parts will be available from the dealership for the next 7 years or so. You just won't get a good interest rate if you finance, so have a down payment or trade in and pay new car payments or the max you can afford to keep the money away from the bank.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

RF Overlord
03-28-2014, 07:08 AM
I got my DD in July of '12 from a local used car dealer who also owns a cab company. 2000 Grand Marquis with 120,000 miles. None of the expensive-to-repair frills like ABS, EATC, TC, etc...the price was right and it's been an excellent car so far.