PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback on a Ford Fusion

stevengerard
03-30-2014, 11:41 AM
My great wife suggested it is time to replace the Marauder, although it needs work I am more than happy with it. Most likely I'd lean towards a used CTS-V or Shelby 500 or a new Mustang GT.

After much thought I think I'll keep the MM and fix her up, keep the Suburban for the kids to drive (safe,big, slow and old) and get my wife a new/newer car. She likes the Ford Fusion. Seems like a good car. She wants a Hybrid so its either that or a Volt, I do not want an all electric car (I'd take a Tesla as a 5th car but...)

Anyone have a Fusion, any suggestions, warnings etc? Better years to look at. Living in Chicago do I look for a AWD, front wheel should be good enough as we can use the Suburban in high snow. Thanks.

Joe Walsh
03-30-2014, 11:49 AM
I just test drove a new Fusion as part of the Ford $50 debit card Test Drive promo.
It is a really nice car, and I love the new styling.

As with any new car, the option packages add on to the MSRP very quickly!

It most likely will be our next car, as my Ranger is approaching 200,000 miles and I am approaching my maximum tolerance for the crappy gas mileage, crappy performance and crappy pick-up truck ride of the Ranger!!

(We didn't drive a Hybird as most of our driving is highway.)

loud2004marquis
03-30-2014, 12:01 PM
My wife loves her 2011 Fusion. She has the 3.0 V6, but no AWD. Goes through the snow just fine though. Four doors and a surprising amount of trunk space. It's been a good car to us. I would recommend checking one out.

justbob
03-30-2014, 12:36 PM
I know it's not technically a Fusion (same exact thing though) but my wife really loves her 2013 Edge limited AWD. It's been a great car with zero complaints. I have yet to meet anyone with a Fusion or edge for that matter that had anything bad to say.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

stevengerard
03-30-2014, 12:46 PM
thanks, yep I like the Edge too but after the Suburban my wife would like a "car" though that's a great idea, I think I'll have her try an Edge too but there is no hybrid from what I remember.

Mebot
03-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Our 2010 Fusion is the "family" go to vehicle for my wife and I. She daily drives it to and from work and we use it for long weekend trips or when the weather is bad and I don't want to use the Marauder.

Con is there is an issue with the throttle body on this year fusion (not sure about other year's Fusions). I'm not sure if it's a recall yet but I did research on the issue online. But it was covered by Ford ESP.

2nd issue which doesn't really affect me is the blower control unit makes a high pitch sound that my wife can hear. It's annoying and we replaced it once under warranty but the noise is coming back. After reading some stuff online, it appears that this is a somewhat common occurrence and it's a high pitch frequency that women mostly hear, not men.

So long story short, my wife is getting fed up with it & looking for a new car. I'll get the "hand me" down and it will be my daily driver.

larryo340
03-30-2014, 01:18 PM
At work we have quite a few fusions in our fleet of taxis, and they've surprised me. We typically get 250K to 300K out of them with virtually no engine issues on both the four and six cylinder models, but have seen transmission problems crop up from 150K and up. Keep in mind these cars are taxis, and driven hard almost nonstop.
In fact I recommended it to a friend out in Arizona and he last year bought one...trading in an Altima, and loves the Fusion.

SpartaPerformance
03-30-2014, 01:34 PM
From experience of owning and servicing the 10-12's are very reliable especially if you overlook the 3.0L V-6. You can't go wrong even if you decide on Hybrid.

whitey
03-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Its always good to look at what the taxi drivers are using, they wouldn't be using them if the car broke down a lot.

bobsawyer7
03-30-2014, 02:31 PM
2012 Fusion has been great. Have the small 6. Haven't had any problems since I bought it. Glad I got leather seats ...good, solid support for my 6' 240lb frame.

HammerDown
03-30-2014, 08:01 PM
We have a 2010 "Sport" model and so far we have had no problems with it--still love it!!!! Has about 52,000 miles.....

Hg M75
04-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Can't speak for newer ones, but I bought my wife an 2008 MKZ and we love it. We have every option except AWD.

MM2004
04-01-2014, 07:33 AM
'08 Fusion owner here, and couldn't be more pleased with it!

;)

Mike.

michael ward
04-01-2014, 08:20 AM
My Dad Just Bought a 2014 Fusion 2.0 se with spot app pkg loves it and I bought his 2008 fusion sport 3.0 problem free car rides and handles great lots of room not bad on gas:)

Showroom
04-01-2014, 08:32 AM
:)My wife's car is a 2009 fully loaded Milan v6 prem.with 95k on it. Best car I ever owned.only oil changes and 1 set of tires. I'm so happy with it I picked-up a 2010 MKZ with low miles CPO CERTIFIED in November last year. LOVE IT:banana2:

stevengerard
04-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll start looking for one, my wife would like the hybrid and we will keep the Suburban as an additional car for the kids to use and as a work horse when needed. I never felt inclined to get a hybrid but at 47/47 mpg vs 12 mpg the difference in cost is now starting to be worth it.

As good of a car as I have heard it is I kind of was hoping you would all bonk it, then I could look for a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger. Oh well, Fusion it is, makes sense as a family car.

2,4shofast
04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
From experience of owning and servicing the 10-12's are very reliable especially if you overlook the 3.0L V-6. You can't go wrong even if you decide on Hybrid.

We had a '13 Fusion Hybrid...over a one year period it was in the shop about 7 times and 3 times for warranty/recall work. I would highly suggest agaist it!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll start looking for one, my wife would like the hybrid and we will keep the Suburban as an additional car for the kids to use and as a work horse when needed. I never felt inclined to get a hybrid but at 47/47 mpg vs 12 mpg the difference in cost is now starting to be worth it.

As good of a car as I have heard it is I kind of was hoping you would all bonk it, then I could look for a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger. Oh well, Fusion it is, makes sense as a family car.

In our 2013 Fusion Hybrid the best MPG average was 38.5 MPG. The car was very nice and comfortable but it does not perform as advertised. I would suggest a Ecoboost Fusion if you are still interested in one. I ditched the hybrid at the first chance I got!

Jolly Roger
04-01-2014, 01:53 PM
We've got the 2013 Fusion Titanium package with AWD and love it.
We got the Ruby Red color option which cost extra.
Love the mileage and the handling and the styling.
We got the 2.0 ltr. turbo.
(Warning) we only use premium gas because we both agreed that the car is lazy when using regular gas.
If I had it to do again I'd take a close look at the Lincoln MKZ.
Might look at one for my self anyway,
if I can get used to that grill. LOL.;)

SpartaPerformance
04-03-2014, 05:23 PM
We had a '13 Fusion Hybrid...over a one year period it was in the shop about 7 times and 3 times for warranty/recall work. I would highly suggest agaist it!

In our 2013 Fusion Hybrid the best MPG average was 38.5 MPG. The car was very nice and comfortable but it does not perform as advertised. I would suggest a Ecoboost Fusion if you are still interested in one. I ditched the hybrid at the first chance I got!

Listen you can get bum ones. All my Hybrid customer avg over 40mpg and on Long Island, that's fantastic!!

jsignorelli
04-03-2014, 06:38 PM
My wife has the 2010 Fusion Sport. The car has a 305 HP V-6 (3.5 liter). The car rides like it is on rails. The mileage on the highway is near 35 MPG, with about 28 in town.

One major problem: The heater controls modules are constantly failing. I have the premium extended warranty from when I purchased it so it has been their problem. I swear that they are using the same parts as the LCM in my Marauder! The car has had four major replacemets in the past six months. I picked it up today, after they had it for two weeks. The defroster still doesn't work, the auto headlights now don't work, and the temp sensor says that it is -40 outside. It was 62 today.

Chayton
04-03-2014, 06:43 PM
I know it's not technically a Fusion (same exact thing though) but my wife really loves her 2013 Edge limited AWD. It's been a great car with zero complaints. I have yet to meet anyone with a Fusion or edge for that matter that had anything bad to say.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

my friends has an AWD Edge Sport. I dont understand how an SUV can handle like that. Superb.

Donald
04-03-2014, 08:26 PM
I have a 2006 Fusion SEL with over 150,000 miles on it. I was driving 110 miles a workday from when I bought it until March last year. The only problem I had was a leak in the steering. They replaced the steering system under warranty. I have done 1 plug change. You have to remove the back side manifold to get to the plugs. I plan to drive this puppy into the ground so the Marauder has a longer life. :)

stevengerard
04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
great feedback, thanks everyone. I'll have to go try a few. I am hearing a few folks who are saying stick with the ecoboost as you get great mpg and less hassles than the hybrid but we do so much driving 1 - 3 miles at a time I think a hybrid could be beneficial.

VMARAUDER
04-04-2014, 04:41 AM
We have a 12 sel v6 in the house and it is a fantastic car. No issues at all. It is a good choice
Make sure you get the "My Ford Touch".

Mr. Man
04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
I drove a 'Sport' a few years ago and thought it was pretty nice.

ctrlraven
04-04-2014, 11:09 AM
My wife has the 2010 Fusion Sport. The car has a 305 HP V-6 (3.5 liter). The car rides like it is on rails. The mileage on the highway is near 35 MPG, with about 28 in town.

One major problem: The heater controls modules are constantly failing. I have the premium extended warranty from when I purchased it so it has been their problem. I swear that they are using the same parts as the LCM in my Marauder! The car has had four major replacemets in the past six months. I picked it up today, after they had it for two weeks. The defroster still doesn't work, the auto headlights now don't work, and the temp sensor says that it is -40 outside. It was 62 today.
2010 Fusion Sport 3.5L motor only has 263hp and 249tq.

Mr. Man
04-04-2014, 02:30 PM
2010 Fusion Sport 3.5L motor only has 263hp and 249tq.Jim's probably 'got a go fast guy'.

2,4shofast
04-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Listen you can get bum ones. All my Hybrid customer avg over 40mpg and on Long Island, that's fantastic!!

Could be true, check the forums and realize it isn't just me. For 36k I wouldn't do it again nor recommened it to anyone.

White Knuckles
04-04-2014, 05:40 PM
I've rented a few (Hertz, a great way to test drive a "user")
I found it to very comfortable ( I'm 6'6" and my company pencil pushers are cheap bastards) in the intermediate size. I mostly get ricers these days, and find it a good day when I luck out with an American ride.

jsignorelli
04-04-2014, 06:37 PM
You are correct....The 2010 Fusion Sport has 263 HP, if you leave it stock.

What is stock????? Who leaves anything stock?

Thomas C Potter
04-06-2014, 06:29 PM
All I can say is my son's 2012 4cyl 2wd is an excellent car. Solid, smooth, trans shifts very nice. It does eat tail light bulbs. I have not driven a 2013/14 to see if the next gen feels different.

TP

Bradley G
04-08-2014, 07:13 AM
We rented an 2014 SE 2.0 for a couple months .
Fun to drive ! 27 mpg all around and 30+ high way
I like the select shift button on the shifter.
Go turbo so it will be the king in your fleet!
I wanna' try a 1.6 turbo with shut off!

EMAS
04-08-2014, 10:16 PM
If you make lots of short trips you don't really want a Hybrid unless it is the Energi model.

The way the hybrid system works is that once the engine starts it won't shut down until the engine has reached a minimum operating temp. That means no automatic shutdown or EV mode so MPG suffers greatly. The MPG is also greatly affected by colder temps. It takes longer for it to reach min operating temp. The heater also sucks the heat out of the engine quickly so the engine will often start up to maintain the min temp.

We have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. In the summer time it averages around 41 MPG with mixed driving say 40% city and 60% freeway though some of that freeway can be in slow rush hour. In the winter it can drop to around 36 MPG doing the same driving. If I work at it I can get 45 MPG or so on local trips when we go out after the wife gets home from work. Taking the same trip when the car has sat overnight and it will get 37 MPG.