PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic 101 course

gdsqdcr
04-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Question for the collective:

If you had the opportunity to teach a automotive class to 15 1/2 year old kids, what would it include?

Figure we have 4 hours. Class size of 6 students. There is no lift, only floor jacks.

I think a basic check of fluids. Check and the change tires. Basic mechanical instruction on how antilock brakes work, brakes in general. Basic laws around tinting and aftermarket parts and then effect they have when it comes to smog guidelines.

Thoughts?

EMAS
04-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Checking all fluids, changing a tire and inspecting brakes. The basics of how an engine works.

camelgrundle
04-08-2014, 11:30 PM
The basics of boost?

Blk Mamba
04-09-2014, 04:07 AM
When I went 50 years ago, they took the first part of the course in classroom to teach what tool was what, and where to use them. this was a very valuable part of the course.

fastblackmerc
04-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Don't ever bring up "fart cans".

Explain torque and why the Marauder's lug nuts have more torque than some imports.

fastblackmerc
04-09-2014, 04:30 AM
Question for the collective:

If you had the opportunity to teach a automotive class to 15 1/2 year old kids, what would it include?

Figure we have 4 hours. Class size of 6 students. There is no lift, only floor jacks.

I think a basic check of fluids. Check and the change tires. Basic mechanical instruction on how antilock brakes work, brakes in general. Basic laws around tinting and aftermarket parts and then effect they have when it comes to smog guidelines.

Thoughts?
I think your right on track. Start with the basics, most of all safety.

Use of the proper tools.

whitey
04-09-2014, 05:18 AM
Teach them safety, teach them the proper fluids and show them where it goes. Dont tell them that brake fluid will strip paint off the car in mere minutes, just say to be very careful.

lji372
04-09-2014, 06:10 AM
Teach them safety, teach them the proper fluids and show them where it goes. Dont tell them that brake fluid will strip paint off the car in mere minutes, just say to be very careful.

Really hehe j/k

Yesterday when we left a park tour there was a tundra parked up against my wife's front bumper (and before the do gooders question my parking I was 10-12 inches from my front line). I explained to the son how I had not followed my fathers advice of always to carry a little brake fluid and for him not to make the same mistake.
So I just gave the tundra a coke and a smile.

So yesterday's 101 for the son was to be respectful of others property and the consequences of not.

Joe Walsh
04-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Definitely teach them how an internal combustion engine works.

Most young people today have absolutely NO clue about cars, other than occasionally putting gas in the tank when their parents don't.

SpartaPerformance
04-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Changing a flat tire is a MUST!! Agreed on principal of ABS, most people have no clue how to use it properly. Then the importance of cleanliness, a vehicle needs clean air, fuel and fluids.

whitey
04-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Changing a flat tire is a MUST!!

+1 on that. If you know how to plug a tire, teach that too. In most cases ive been able to plug a tire faster than changing it, as long as the screw/nail is still there to see where its leaking from. Gross them out by using your spit to show that theres no more leaks.:D

gdmjoe
04-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Joe Walsh - Definitely teach them how an internal combustion engine works.
+1

In fact that was THE essay question on my high school auto shop final exam.

gdsqdcr
04-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Fixing a flat tire, great suggestion. I carry a tire patch kit in my truck, something about rock roads and not wanton to change a tire out there.

Tools, yeah, we see it as basic knowledge ... That would probably have bitten me.

Great suggestions! Thank you all for them. If you have more, send them. I will write a 'curriculum' this weekend and see if hey really want to do it.

fireandice9008
04-09-2014, 06:20 PM
You've got a good plan thusfar.

Tools. What fluids go where and how to check to check them (I.e. don't put p/s fluid if it calls for trans fluid). Maybe touch on doing repairs right the first time, emergency fixes being an exception of course.

And of course the basics, like the importance of pumice, how to cuss (although most probably have this down pat), and how to launch the tool you will inevitably need next into low earth orbit.