PDA

View Full Version : Might be moving, but one HUGE drawback....

IwantmyMMnow!
04-18-2014, 01:30 PM
My current lease ends 31 May; I like where I'm at...great landlord and the neighborhood is quiet, but have been looking occasionally for something that may be better.

Came across an ad for an apartment in downtown, which would be awesome, IMO. (Can walk to bars and such vs driving) Went and took a look at it earlier today. The rent is $300 more than what I'm paying now, but it includes all utilities and even comes with cable (which I haven't had for 3 years now). It's only 1 BR/BA, but the square footage is almost the same as where I'm at now (just 40 less sq ft), plus I'll have a 6' x 12' storage closet located in the building. The apartment is located on the 2nd floor of a 4 story building, each floor has 6 apartments/units.

The huge drawback is I would have to park my MM in the street. Asheville isn't known for mass acts of vandalism, but all it takes is one, ya know. The landlord told me if I wanted to get it, I would have to make a $500 'security' deposit by May 1st, even though it won't be available until mid-May (current tenant is moving out at end of this month).

I do have a couple weeks to think about it.....would like to get some opinions from y'all....

L.Mark
04-18-2014, 01:38 PM
If you still like where your at and don't "have to" leave and aren't sold on this new place then pass. A better one will beome available. Will you have peice of mind knowing that the Marauder is out in th eopen like that. Just weigh the pros and cons, which ever is heavier there's you sign...:)

Spectragod
04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
More $ and no garage............pass.

Mr. Man
04-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Is there a garage downtown where you could park the car when not using it and how much per month would that run?

The other thing I thought about was where will your kids stay when they come for a visit? Having an extra room to store them away at night might be a bigger plus than walking distance to a pub. :dunno:

Bluerauder
04-18-2014, 02:22 PM
I like where I'm at...great landlord and the neighborhood is quiet, but have been looking occasionally for something that may be better.....

You answered your own question ^^^^^^ here. The new place costs more, is slightly smaller, and comes with concerns about parking the MM. What you get is a little more convenience in walking to the neighborhood bar. Sounds like a "no brainer". Pass.

Besides, the timing of the move and associated costs and the $500.00 security deposit will probably screw up any of your possible plans to attend Carlisle too.

Jeffonebuck
04-18-2014, 02:36 PM
$300 more a month but utilities are paid plus cable, sounds like that evens out. Look around for somewhere close to store your MM

Sent from my Tapatalk using Morris Code

fireandice9008
04-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Your car can come stay with mine for free :cool:

Going off what you gave us, I would pass on it if I were in your shoes. Granted, you'll have your own reasons and pros/cons for each. The fact that you're nervous enough about putting the car on the street to say something about it, means (at least it would for me) that you'll be constantly be worrying about it.

whitey
04-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Stay where your at, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I hate parking on the street(parallel parking) because many people like to park by bumping others instead of gauging how much room they have. You should look into buying a house. Me and my wife rented for about 4-5 years. We moved into our house/ double wide trailer for the simple fact that when we move again, atleast we will have money by selling it, with an apartment, you move, you get nothing in return. 62' long, 28' wide, 3 bedrroms, 2.5 bathrooms, full size amenities, etc......dont let Hollywood fool you into thinking theyre only made for white trash. Plus, if you mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park:lol:

Pat
04-18-2014, 03:14 PM
All the above.
PASS on the new apartment.

lji372
04-18-2014, 03:20 PM
All the above.
PASS on the new apartment.

What they said :burnout:

Motorhead350
04-18-2014, 03:47 PM
I have parked mine in the street since 2008 in Chicago. I only had it hit twice in the past 7 years.

You will be fine.

Bigdogjim
04-18-2014, 04:34 PM
I would stay and save the money for a day when you could get yourself a house:up:

88CuttyClassic
04-18-2014, 05:15 PM
If being able to walk to a bar is even on the radar i hope you are are still under 25.

IwantmyMMnow!
04-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Yeah, you guys have already hit the nail on the head on what's been going through my mind since I posted. Being able to walk to a bar isn't a priority at all...guess I should've worded it as 'being able to walk to events going on downtown'. There's usually something cool going on Wed-Sat, it's just a pain in the arse driving downtown and finding parking.

I was pretty much caught up 'in the moment' of something new. My electric bills this winter have been almost twice as much as last winter, which is why the 'utilities included' caught my attention. I definitely would not have felt 100% comfortable parking my MM in the street, and paying extra $$$ for a parking garage would've been another 'con', as well as not having 'real' BRs for my kids.

And I hate to say this, Charlie, but I'm 99% certain I won't be making Carlisle this year....but not throwing in the towel until it's 100%. That May 5th deadline for the 'gate n go' is a killer, though...:depress:

Appreciate everyone's input and glad I had some time to think it through before I did something I would be stuck with for a year.

kernie
04-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Stay where your at, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I hate parking on the street(parallel parking) because many people like to park by bumping others instead of gauging how much room they have. You should look into buying a house. Me and my wife rented for about 4-5 years. We moved into our house/ double wide trailer for the simple fact that when we move again, atleast we will have money by selling it, with an apartment, you move, you get nothing in return. 62' long, 28' wide, 3 bedrroms, 2.5 bathrooms, full size amenities, etc......dont let Hollywood fool you into thinking theyre only made for white trash. Plus, if you mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park:lol:

Hey Ricky!

Say hi to Julien and Bubbles for me!

:beer:

slickster
04-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Hell no street parking in the sun

Bluerauder
04-19-2014, 03:47 AM
And I hate to say this, Charlie, but I'm 99% certain I won't be making Carlisle this year.....

Sorry to hear this; but I kinda suspected that it was leaning that way. :(

So you should probably vote "MAYBE" in the poll here >>>> http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92311