PDA

View Full Version : things to look for at the 10k check up?

the fat bastid
04-08-2004, 10:17 AM
i'm going in for my 10,000 mile check up.
what are they gonna try to screw me on?
what should i make sure is done?
any other advise?

i fear the dealer.

2003 MIB
04-08-2004, 11:17 AM
i'm going in for my 10,000 mile check up.
what are they gonna try to screw me on?
any other advise?

i fear the dealer.

No expert but expect:
Tire rotation.
Fluid level top off. Oil change pressure if you haven't done it lately.
Shouldn't be a big deal.
Things to watch out for "Summer readiness maintainence package". "Severe Duty maintainence package". Basically anything with package in the name needs to be examined.
That being said, I'm having them service the transmission- partly because I have over a dozen 1/4 mile passes on this fluid and partly to see if there's any metal in the pan or maybe a retaining clip. :)

Dr Caleb
04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Take pictures of your front quarters before, just in case there are new marks you weren't expecting after.

CRUZTAKER
04-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Air filter for sure.

L/M has a maintainence chart...usually posted on a wall somewhere in the service area. It explains maintainence schedules for all general, and LEO vehicles and trucks.

2003 MIB
04-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Take pictures of your front quarters before, just in case there are new marks you weren't expecting after.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TripleTransAm
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM

The way things are going lately, you might want to have them check the underbody for embedded Honda parts... ;)

drobin
04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Dump the fuel filter if you haven't already by changing it yourself and save some money!

Donald
"drobin"

mcb26
04-08-2004, 01:05 PM
WARNING WARNINGWARNING
Check with the tire manuf on tire rotation. Some BF goodrich are directional (I call up customer service at BF goodrich)and cannot be swaped side to side without removing the tires from the rim. The alternative is to just have them ballanced.

Fourth Horseman
04-08-2004, 01:42 PM
The way things are going lately, you might want to have them check the underbody for embedded Honda parts... ;)

No wonder my quarter mile times suck, I'm hauling around half a civic with me!
:lol:

drobin
04-08-2004, 01:54 PM
WARNING WARNINGWARNING
Check with the tire manuf on tire rotation. Some BF goodrich are directional (I call up customer service at BF goodrich)and cannot be swaped side to side without removing the tires from the rim. The alternative is to just have them ballanced.

Please explain what is meant by "some BF Goodrich are directional and cannot be swaped". How do we determine if this applies to us? What is the customer service number for BF Goodrich is case I decide to call them.

Thanks,

Donald
"drobin"

Marauderjack
04-08-2004, 02:00 PM
The OEM BFG's are OK to swap side to side.....not uni-directional but they do have an inside tread and an outside tread that won't be effected by a side to side swap!! :)

I'm gonna put some new rears on soon and I think the fronts will outlast the rears 3:1......unless the OEM rears are soft crappy compound??!! :down:

Marauderjack :cool:

mcb26
04-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Here is the number for BFGoodrich

customer support is open between 8:30am and 6pm ET.

United States:
1-877-788-8899

RF Overlord
04-08-2004, 03:08 PM
fat:

There really is nothing specific that "should" be done at 10k...it might be a good time to swap the tires side-to-side...maybe a transmission fluid/filter change, too...just don't let them try to sell you an injector cleaning... :nono: :shake:

junehhan
04-08-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm approaching close to 8000 miles now on my Marauder, but this is what I was planning to do at or around 10k miles.
1. oil and filter change
2. a bottle of techron concentrate
3. transmission flush with new tranny filter, convert to synthetic ATF
4. change power steering fluid to synthetic as well
5. change rear differential fluid with synthetic Amsoil 75w90 gear lube, unless anyone recommends 75w140 better???
6. probably have the tires balanced since they sure feel like they went out of balance just recently..........

I'm probably going to do a set of 4.10's this summer, so i'm gonna also use the fluid change as an excuse to check out the differential and see how healthy the gears are.

FordNut
04-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Check the inside edges of the front tires for excessive wear. Could indicate an alignment is needed. If so, make sure they have the correct adapters for the wheels and do not damage the wheels. The free alignment under warranty is only good for 12000 mi., after that you gotta pay for it.