PDA

View Full Version : Fire!!!

gpfarrell
04-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Please forgive the length of this....

Logan's mis-adventures (see the Lounge) rekindled my feelings for fire extinguishers, and reminded me I need to put one in the Marauder.

While I don't think Squad 51 and Engine 51 together would have saved a smoldering that moving van, most car fires start small... they don't end that way.

I've been close to four of them.

The first was in the late 1980's... the floats stuck on my 4bbl carb, and flooded the 460's intake with gasoline. The fire started small, but grew fast. If it weren't for a fire extinguisher located just inside a nearby building, I wouldn't still have my first car. I got lucky.

The second was in the early 90's. A little Dodge was smoldering on the side of I-90 near Erie, PA. A truck driver and I each pulled over to help, but the fire had already been burning for a few minutes, the hood release had melted, and nothing we were going to do would save the car. The fire trucks were there in minutes, but it only took seconds to destroy the car. She didn't get lucky.

The third was a sub-zero day in Pittsburgh when starter fluid, stupidity, and impatience all conspired to warm-up my Mustang way too fast. Having learned from the first fire, I grabbed the fire extinguisher out of the trunk and the damage was limited to a few vacuum lines.

The fourth was my sister-in-law's 1984 Mustang GT convertible. It had been sitting for months & my brother and I tuned it up with fresh plugs, etc. I took it for a test drive. Ran great. Backed it in his driveway and we noticed little wisps of smoking puffing out of the grill. Bad valve cover gaskets had leaked months of oil onto the exhaust manifolds, and the heat from the test drive set them ablaze. Fortunately, my Mustang was parked next to it, and its fire extinguisher was only seconds away. That afternoon my brother replaced my fire extinguisher and bought a few for himself. It's a vivid first-hand lesson.

I'm not sure if I'm prone to bad luck or just dumb that all these fires have found me over the years, but Logan's story reminded me that my Marauder needs a fire extinguisher in the trunk, and I think your's deserves one too.

2003 MIB
04-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Your post really made me think. We post and postulate about modifications related to speed, looks, sound but, I don't think I recall one about safety equipment. Yes, driveshaft loops and bigger brakes are safety items but only exist to minimize the effects of the speed. You make a good point. :up:

gpfarrell
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
"Your post really made me think. We post and postulate about modifications related to speed, looks, sound but, I don't think I recall one about safety equipment... You make a good point"

Aw shucks....

Greg

ParkRanger
04-08-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure if I'm prone to bad luck .....

Dude, get rid of your propane tanks and quite smoking immediately!!!

PR

:bounce: :fire: :lol:

hitchhiker
04-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Every one of my cars has a fire extinguisher.

Always will!

Best Regards,

David

Ross
04-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Yep, that makes a heck of a lot of sense to me. My next mod will be a fire extinguisher. Make that two. My wife deserves one, too.

Gee, hitchhiker and I agree! :eek:

Fourth Horseman
04-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Very good point. I wonder if I could rig up some type of mount for one in the trunk. I'll have to give this some thought.

Paul T. Casey
04-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Always carried one in my car, probably volunteer firefighter training. Just always figured it'd be a lot easier getting the insurance folks to cough up $200 for cleaning up powder vs $5000 for fire damages if something did happen.

Ross
04-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Very good point. I wonder if I could rig up some type of mount for one in the trunk. I'll have to give this some thought.

We have a fire extinguisher at home near the kitchen. It came with a wall mount. If there is some structural member in the trunk that would hold a mount like that, it would be ideal.

tbore007
04-08-2004, 01:03 PM
im convinced..mines going in the trunk instead of the garage...

Paul T. Casey
04-08-2004, 01:09 PM
tbore007, they are cheap enough to buy 2. Ross, if you want to permanently mount, anyplace in the trunck is okay. Extinguishers are light, a couple sheet metal screws in the floor or wall near rear seats will hold it forever. Also, change them out every 3 or 4 years.

cyclone03
04-08-2004, 02:29 PM
tbore007, they are cheap enough to buy 2. Ross, if you want to permanently mount, anyplace in the trunck is okay. Extinguishers are light, a couple sheet metal screws in the floor or wall near rear seats will hold it forever. Also, change them out every 3 or 4 years.

Don't forget the gas tank is forward of the trunk.
Make sure you KNOW where the sharp end of that drill bit is going! :eek:

merc406
04-08-2004, 03:16 PM

The trunk is too far away, I keep mine behind the frt seat (2 dr).

martyo
04-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Combine this with the mods that we do. Get a chrome one and it'll look sweet!!