PDA

View Full Version : Q: what is the best head gasket for boosted application

Loco1234
05-05-2014, 04:17 PM
I value & appreciate the knowledge base available here on MM.net
Thus I am curious to get an opinion from MM.net

What is the best head gasket for boosted application(s)
I am about to mate a BUILT cast iron bottom end to an Esslinger D-port aluminum Head (roller). Motor is a BUILT ford 2.3L stroked to 2.5L billet crank & billet I-beam rods, JE piston & will be running 10-1 compression & 21PSI. I intend to use ARP stepped washers in the AL head to prevent head STUD from loosening it clamping load...
Given that info who do you think makes the best head gasket...?

fyi. 1 person directed me this company...
http://scegaskets.com/products/

Esslinger themselves have lead me towards the system they use in their salt flat top speed car(s) they state as follows:
O-Ring block (.039" music wire, just outside of fire ring, up .005" to .008".) -Ring BlockThe reason for O-Ringing the block is simple: "Contain" the stamped steel fire ring of the head gasket. The fire ring will adequately seal against combustion leakage. But failure will occur if the fire ring begins to move because of excess pressure caused by higher compression, better airflow, bigger cams and increased engine speeds. The O-Rings need to be outside the fire ring and will nearly touch each other between cylinders
I have never used O-ring'd block before... & would need a machinist to do extra work...

MOTOWN
05-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Oem Ford,Felpro, or Cometic

Loco1234
05-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Oem Ford,Felpro, or Cometic

soo you think stay away from the O-ring shat too?

until Esslinger gave me instructions for music wire & o-ring & was planning to use a cometic...

TP Derrick D
05-05-2014, 04:52 PM
go with Cometic

MOTOWN
05-05-2014, 04:57 PM
soo you think stay away from the O-ring shat too?

until Esslinger gave me instructions for music wire & o-ring & was planning to use a cometic...

i would use Oem Ford, or Cometic either are good gaskets, i havent O ringed a set of heads/block since my Stage II Buick build, good stuff, but not necessary on the mod motor.

ctrlraven
05-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Cometic is what I have used on a previous boosted car.

justbob
05-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Just a hair over 20#s boost on an 8.5:1 Cobra block and stage 2 blower cams here. I used OEM cobra gaskets and sprayed both sides with a good coat of copper spray and used OEM head bolts per Zack's instructions and everything is tip top perfect 7,000 miles later. With me driving..

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Loco1234
05-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Yes I have never had a problem with 20# boost on mod motor either

& the 2.3L turbo was running 21psi & 8.5-1 compression on stock gaskets...
I have simply upgraded to 10-1 compression w/ same 21psi - intercooler will go from, air-air to an air-water similar to marauders setup..

with all done to make motor bullet proof I wanna ensure best head gasketing being used.. (within reason...) ARP studs & ARP stepped head washers will be used for sure... has anyone use these:

ICS TITAN HEAD GASKETS

http://scegaskets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ics-titan.pngPatented Integral Combustion Seals perform the function of O-ringed blocks and heads without the added machining costs. They also provide extra sealing in high combustion pressure environments where rules prohibit O-ringing. The ICS Titan features stainless steel O-ring wire inserted into the gasket body around the cylinder bore, with combustion pressure forcing the flanges against the head and block for a self-energized secondary seal. Coolant and oil seals also included.

Joe Walsh
05-05-2014, 06:23 PM
10-1 CR with 21 psi boost on a good flowing head like the Esslinger is a bunch of cylinder pressure.

I'd 'O' ring it, or let blown head gaskets be your safety 'fuse'.

A blown head gasket does let you know that you're pushing it a little too much, but does not mean major $$$ to fix.

massacre
05-05-2014, 07:06 PM
I agree ^^^.
I was thinking about copper gaskets with an o-ringed block, 10 to 1 with 21lb of boost is kind of a lot if you're going to revving it, which with a 4cyl is kind of a given.

The top fuel and funny cars run copper gaskets and think of the boost pressures they run, if it can hold those pressures I'm sure it will handle yours.
And Joe Walsh brought up a good point also about letting stock gaskets being your safety. It sucks to change a head gasket but head gaskets are cheap compared to pistons, rods, block, etc. lmao.

Loco1234
05-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately on the ford 2.3L turbo a blown head gasket can get in the water & oil pass's... Hence why doing it to run right once is my desire... bullet proof...

Loco1234
05-07-2014, 01:28 AM
Bump:
has anyone used these?
ICS TITAN HEAD GASKETS

Loco1234
05-09-2014, 03:34 AM
10-1 CR with 21 psi boost on a good flowing head like the Esslinger is a bunch of cylinder pressure.

I'd 'O' ring it, or let blown head gaskets be your safety 'fuse'.

A blown head gasket does let you know that you're pushing it a little too much, but does not mean major $$$ to fix.

You are right about the Esslinger AL 2.3L D-port Turbo head... The one I will using was Ported & polished by Esslinger & below is the head info directly from Esslinger The Esslinger porting & polishing on the AL D-port even more flow is found...
I got the full setup, completehttp://vidsaver-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://www.85xr.com/85xr_old/esslinger.htm#) with big valves, dual valve springs, ported/polished head, and a roller cam setup. I had my choice of 4 cams developed by esslinger:

Part #

Dur@.050

Int/Exh Lift

Adv. Dur.

Ctr. Line

Application (http://www.85xr.com/85xr_old/esslinger.htm#)

CAM = E2276

Stock/Street

CAM = E2277

241/219

489/443

Street/Strip

The other 2 available cams were for drag race & top end performance only...

Per the recommendation of Esslinger for my use as a track/autoX car, I chose the E2277 Street/Strip cam. I'm not only building this car for HP, I'm building it for long term bullet proof performance, so I think I will be happy with this choice.

MOTOWN
05-09-2014, 08:32 AM
That head looks great, looking at the number of head bolts on each cylinder i would O ring it for sure.