PDA

View Full Version : Shelby GT500 and Marauder owners?

PHHHHTT
05-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Does anyone here own both a Shelby GT500 and a Marauder? If so, in your opinion, what are the strong points of either car that appeals to you over the other?

Spectragod
05-10-2014, 05:23 AM
My buddy has a new 14' gt500, it's a nice car, but if I were to be searching out a mustang, boss 302 would be my choice. The gt500 simply overpowers the tires in the first 3 gears, hard to believe that you can have "too much" power.

But it is a cool car, and everyone has a mustang, there were a limited number of marauders, when I go to a show, I am the only marauder, there are always 20+ mustangs, so I imagine, that would be the difference.

jsignorelli
05-10-2014, 06:13 AM
There is no such thing as "too much power"

My '93 Mustang has 620 HP at the rear wheels and I have no trouble with acceleration. You just have to buy very sticky tires......which by the way will wear out in 24,000 miles.

Joe Walsh
05-10-2014, 07:53 AM
My buddy has a new 14' gt500, it's a nice car, but if I were to be searching out a mustang, boss 302 would be my choice. The gt500 simply overpowers the tires in the first 3 gears, hard to believe that you can have "too much" power.

But it is a cool car, and everyone has a mustang, there were a limited number of marauders, when I go to a show, I am the only marauder, there are always 20+ mustangs, so I imagine, that would be the difference.

Don't own a GT500, but I would love to own one....except for, as Spectragod pointed out, GT500s are a dime a dozen.
At Ford Carlisle there are rows and rows and rows of GT500s.
Sad that a 662 HP Shelby Mustang can be so ordinary...:snore:

There is no such thing as "too much power"

My '93 Mustang has 620 HP at the rear wheels and I have no trouble with acceleration. You just have to buy very sticky tires......which by the way will wear out in 24,000 miles.

I call it: "Too little tire" syndrome.
My 427 Cobra has a severe power-to-tire ratio problem!
It'll easily spin the P295s when I hit 3rd at 80+ mph.....:burn:...... :eek:

jsignorelli
05-10-2014, 08:08 AM
My Factory Five Racing Cobra kit car has huge tires and grips fine, considering that it has 700 HP in a car weighing 2200 lbs.

MarauderCyclone
05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm kind of Dumb/Awe struck over what I am reading here.

GT500's being named in the same breath as "A Dime a Dozen" ?

Give me a break fella's . You were at a car show...sure enthusiasts are going to bring out their high dollar toys for such an event , that hardly makes them a "Dime a Dozen" by any reasonable stretch of the imagination.

A dime a dozen might apply to the old 4cyl Fox Body Mustangs in their day....or even the V-6 Mustang from 1994 to Present.

Maybe I'm just being overly loyal or more respecting of others choices , but I don't even think of V-8 Mustang GT's from 2005 to Present as being a dime a dozen. I see far more of the other less worthy brands sitting beside me at every stop light , and I consider my hometown to be one car savvy place.

Just my opinion.

lji372
05-11-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm kind of Dumb/Awe struck over what I am reading here.

GT500's being named in the same breath as "A Dime a Dozen" ?

Give me a break fella's . You were at a car show...sure enthusiasts are going to bring out their high dollar toys for such an event , that hardly makes them a "Dime a Dozen" by any reasonable stretch of the imagination.

A dime a dozen might apply to the old 4cyl Fox Body Mustangs in their day....or even the V-6 Mustang from 1994 to Present.

Maybe I'm just being overly loyal or more respecting of others choices , but I don't even think of V-8 Mustang GT's from 2005 to Present as being a dime a dozen. I see far more of the other less worthy brands sitting beside me at every stop light , and I consider my hometown to be one car savvy place.

Just my opinion.

Perhaps they should have said a dollar a dozen :dunno:

WPG_Merc
05-11-2014, 09:51 PM

The GT 500 is nice & costly & very common at events.

MarauderCyclone
05-11-2014, 09:59 PM
OK , A dollar a dozen gets'em off the hook for now. LOL

I would love to have a Shelby Mustang and it may be in the cards to own one at some point in the future. I just know if I had someone pop off and call it a Dime a Dozen after that outlay of dead presidents to buy one , his Name better be Trump or the Oracle of Omaha or he's gonna need a trip to the Dentist pretty quick.

It's one thing for people to Rag On the other Makes like GM or MoPar , but for FoMoCo Fans to be glazzing over a Shelby Mustang as if it were an event food Hot Dog or something just isn't right.

This reminds me of a young kid I know that works at a body shop as an apprentice. The Young Guy drives a complete beater of a car , shows up to work when his Buzz allows him too , but he's an expert on everything I need to do with my small collection of 60's and 70's Muscle Cars.

I had listened to this young man go on and on about what he'd do to this or that. I finally spoke up and said why don't you go out and get this or that and show us all what you can do. Needless to say , that shut him up farely quickly.

Some things are easier said than done for any number of reasons. His reason's being a complete irresponsible Pot Head and Mine is not having enough hours in a given day or garage space to handle anything else at present. Note...I never insulted his tin can car along the way. LOL :lol:

TORINO
05-12-2014, 09:57 AM
I LOVE MY MM'S BUT SORRY AFTER DRIVING MY GT500 EVERY THING ELSE DRIVES LIKE A TANK. I LOVE ROADS WITH CURVES AND THE GT500 IS LIKE A SLOT CAR AND YES THE LOWER GEARS ARE JUST TO REMOVE RUBBER FROM TIRES. TO MUCH POWER ?? YOU CAN'T HAVE TO MUCH JUST USE IT RIGHT.BUT IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE CAR THOUGH IT WOULD BE A MM ABSOLUTELY.

stevengerard
05-12-2014, 10:46 AM
I am not surprised at the lack of responses - how many people can afford both an MM and a GT500. I don't own a GT500 but would like to, or a Boss (my preference as well) but having 4 kids limits my vehicle choices. From the times I have driven a GT500 I think its a great car but as expected a complete different creature than an MM - not sure you can really compare the two. As a DD with family needs the MM wins, as a performance car the GT500 wins.

I wouldn't bash either, nor would I bash a Vette or a Camaro, I have my preferences but so do others. Cool cars are cool cars.

Joe Walsh
05-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Why is calling something a 'dime-a-dozen' such a put down?
The fact is...for a 662 HP Shelby Mustang, that is supposed to have an air of exclusivity, I see wayyyyyy too many of them driving around and at car shows.
Sorry if the truth offends you!

I'd still love to have one, but IMHO: The Marauder is a MUCH rarer car, and still garners lots of :2thumbs:...'OOH a Marauder!!'....and 'Cool Car!' comments.

88CuttyClassic
05-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Not much to see with modern muscle. Yes they are gorgeous and fast and everything else good but nothing to really seperate them from the one next to it. Now the old ones is a different story. Things like rare options , colors, pacakages, a unique story..etc.. i usually walk by most chevys and fords both modern and antique. Most cruises and shows are saturated with them. I tend to look for Olds, Buicks and Mopars. Since new ive always looked at marauders because i rarely see them.

Curless
05-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Rarity depends on the year of the GT500....up to 2010 almost 10,000 per year... they are not that rare, 2010's are pretty rare at 2000 being made total...Not worth the coin if you ask me but to each his or her own!

mnrauder
05-12-2014, 04:11 PM
I was thinking about trading my marauder for a parnelli mustang

L.Mark
05-12-2014, 05:32 PM
The way I see it, for me at least, when I go to a show and I see 30+ Mustangs(less than 5 years old), Camaros, Vettes, etc. And then see a rare model of one of these it deflates the rare model because of all the other ones. OK, fine, it has the most factory HP, can corner on a dime and stop on a penny. Alot of the 'normal' ones can do that at half the price so in the end the only thing that makes those cars special is the VIN...Oh and the extremely high price of the initial buy...Plus with the before mentioned cars it's a given someone will mod the hail out of it so therefore they are a dime a dozen...Marauders were never meant for that unlike the others...it's the equivilant of modding my 79 Mark to a 10 second car...That you just don't see...again, my opinion...

TORINO
05-12-2014, 11:46 PM
A NEW GT MUSTANG WITH ALL OPTIONS IS $40K+ A USED 07-09 GT500 WITH LESS THAN 5K MILES ON IT IS LOW $30'S THAT IS A DEAL IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY FOR A CAR THAT IS FOR PLAYING ONLY.OR YOU COULD GET A LOW MILE SPOTLESS MM FOR $18K AND GET TWO!!

PuntyMario
05-13-2014, 08:44 PM
A NEW GT MUSTANG WITH ALL OPTIONS IS $40K+ A USED 07-09 GT500 WITH LESS THAN 5K MILES ON IT IS LOW $30'S THAT IS A DEAL IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY FOR A CAR THAT IS FOR PLAYING ONLY.OR YOU COULD GET A LOW MILE SPOTLESS MM FOR $18K AND GET TWO!!

Ease off the caps lock mate.

TP Derrick D
05-14-2014, 04:36 PM
The '03/'04 Marauders are rare because they were only made 2 years due to not selling because of overpriced and being lumped in with CV's & GM's. If they were made for 50 years non stop like Mustangs & 7 years like GT500's they would be a "dime a dozen" or a "dollar a dozen" also. Had this same conversation with my neighbor last year only about Corvettes. They are a dime a dozen and I told my neighbor who has a uncle that has a base model and spent $8000 trying to make it look like a Z06 or ZR1 , I forgot. Its a 2011 or '12 I believe. Told him man, that kinda money on a Vette trying to make it look like them that still isn't a Z06 or ZR1 is crazy shoulda got the real deal and they would still be a dime a dozen. People just got the money to buy higher $$$ cars and the manufactures keep putting out just enough to keep them "limited" but more than enough so they aren't only a 1-2 times a year sighting. I want a GT500 Super Snake myself.

PHHHHTT
05-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Well, time for a little clarification on my part. On April 26th, I picked up a 2014 Grabber Blue GT500 with white stripes from Madison Ford in Wisconsin. I haven't driven it much yet, trying to protect the finish until I can put some sort of permanent protectant put on it. But it is quite a different animal from my Marauder. I have no intention of letting my Marauder go and will continue to improve it, although things will probably be a little slower to occur to the Marauder.

The Shelby, in my opinion, is like the last opportunity to get something like a Boss '9 before the breed changed to something different and it would be a very long time before it became anything else that I'd want. I had one opportunity to make it happen and I still can't believe the plan came together.

I'd like to thank "Torino" for his insights with his GT500. Many of the replies make it clear that GT500's are very common compared to the Marauder. I like to think I have a set of bookends representing two different, desirable performance automobiles (one gone, the other going away) that will be a wise choice to have obtained. With the new Mustangs being produced on a world platform, I think what ever it was that made Mustangs uniquely "American" will be discarded. While it may serve well to the rest of the world, I feel what made it special to the U.S. is being jeopardized. Think of the Mustang II. I'm not a hater of Mustang II's, they are great for their intended place in the market, but most performance enthusiast don't care for them. Hopefully I'm wrong, but history likes to repeat itself.

Anyway, dime-a-dozen or not, I will be enjoying both cars as much as I can.

TORINO
05-15-2014, 10:42 AM
You will love it and as for to much money?? 2014 $60k a mm in 2002 $38k close to same cost??
The handling and power will spoil you so much torque you don't have to work it at all to fly.no good in traffic i think it would be better / faster with an 8 speed auto. As you drive it you will not want to stop and start thinking dd??
then you will get in traffic and ok time for the mm.

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Personally I'd rather build up a 5.0 and customize as necessary. Built > Bought unless its an exotic of which you don't see everyday.

TORINO
05-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Yes you can build a more unique car but a new GT500 is a turn key race car 200mph off the show room with all the comforts.

LOWBUCKMM
05-15-2014, 03:04 PM
I was thinking about trading my marauder for a parnelli mustang

Funny you say that. As I was searching for a newer volvo I ran across this.

http://www.brianbemisvolvo.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=2007+Ford+Mus tang&redirectFromMissingVDP=true

MarauderCyclone
05-17-2014, 01:02 AM
I think the 2014 in Grabber Blue is just too cool for the room in my opinion. I like the old school colors.

I completely agree with your comments about how the 2015 Mustang being marketed to the world just might be a game changer as to how Mustangs are viewed from now on. This might not be a great thing for American Muscle Car fans , but this remains to be seen. Maybe the rest of the world isn't as ready to become westernized as some at Ford think? Time and Sales will tell. Regardless of which side of the pond you are on , one thing remains true , people vote with their wallets.

I see people in this thread on both ends of the Spectrum...and God Bless America for that. We have the Shelby Buyer on one end and the Mustang GT fans that want to mod them on the other. I say Bravo to both sides.

I guess what I'd really like to know is this. Do we have anyone out there that has bought a Roush Stage (Whatever) Mustang? ..and Saleen Owners hiding among us? How about a 2014 Holman and Moody 50th Anniversary Tour De France Mustang? They only built 500 of those...pretty elite/rare company at 50k plus a piece. :eek:

PuntyMario
05-17-2014, 01:46 AM
Ive always thought about what itd be like to have a gt500 but after seeing the new boss 302 everything changed. Id be more inclined to compare the 302 and the marauder. Those two will be incredibly valued in the years to come.

MarauderCyclone
05-17-2014, 02:56 AM
Ive always thought about what itd be like to have a gt500 but after seeing the new boss 302 everything changed. Id be more inclined to compare the 302 and the marauder. Those two will be incredibly valued in the years to come.

You Sir are Dead Balls Accurate in that statement. The Boss 302 will have a following and will retain value equal too or greater than just about any other limited edition Mustang mentioned thus far. I feel bad for for not listing that in my last post.

On the other side of the coin. I hope you are 100% correct about the Marauder doing as well in terms of value in the future. To many the Marauder is a complete Un-Known , to plenty it was an overpriced car with No era direct competition beyond the aging 94-96 Impala SS ( Not Implied to tick off Impala SS fans) Ford/Mercury in my opinion was just too late to the table with this , none the less I'm glad they showed up with it. Truly a case of better late than never for it truest fans , but too late to spur a true Brand Vs. Brand , Sales and Horsepower war either.

PuntyMario
05-17-2014, 05:07 AM
On the other side of the coin. I hope you are 100% correct about the Marauder doing as well in terms of value in the future. To many the Marauder is a complete Un-Known , to plenty it was an overpriced car with No era direct competition beyond the aging 94-96 Impala SS ( Not Implied to tick off Impala SS fans) Ford/Mercury in my opinion was just too late to the table with this , none the less I'm glad they showed up with it. Truly a case of better late than never for it truest fans , but too late to spur a true Brand Vs. Brand , Sales and Horsepower war either.

If not in value the marauder will surely hold up in iconic value. Im glad it came out when it did. Its sad actually that it didnt come out perhaps when the charger was rereleased. That could have created a competition. I mean there is a niche for performance sedans witjv8s as even chevy made that new ss. It was just an awkward timing.

I know ill be kicking myself later for not being able to buy a 302.

Vortech347
05-17-2014, 10:43 AM
They are two completely different cars built for two different purposes.

Sammich
05-18-2014, 01:37 PM
They are two completely different cars built for two different purposes.

They sure are. I'd rather have the Marauder, but not because of rarity. I just like it better; if all I wanted was a rare car, I could probably do better than 1/11000. I don't have one, but the Marauder is my dream car. I can't say the same about the GT500. I can definitely respect the performance of the car, and I will say that it is very cool (as is the Boss 302, mentioned earlier in this thread). But I wouldn't buy a car simply because it is a better performer (or better _______ ) than another, if I like a car that is technically worse more. If we all drove simply what is best rather than what we like, the majority of us would be driving the same car.

montyd
05-22-2014, 06:55 AM
I cant say I have owned or with own a gt500. if I were to buy a newer mustang it would be a boss all day. nothing like an orange boss with black stripes. but I will say I have owned (and still own) fox bodies, and s197 cars, my bro has 94 gt, ive driven terminators and mach ones, hell my dad has a cobra replica. when we all go to shows aside from my dads cobra(which is always going to catch attention) the marauder always has the biggest crowd around it. I parked next to a friends fully built 07 California special last year at a show. his car has every possible thing you could tastefully put on a mustang and still the mm had a crowd and he was mad because no one paid attention to his lol. I love my mm. wouldn't trade it for anything.

LSp8
01-01-2015, 05:10 PM
I cant say I have owned or with own a gt500. if I were to buy a newer mustang it would be a boss all day. nothing like an orange boss with black stripes. but I will say I have owned (and still own) fox bodies, and s197 cars, my bro has 94 gt, ive driven terminators and mach ones, hell my dad has a cobra replica. when we all go to shows aside from my dads cobra(which is always going to catch attention) the marauder always has the biggest crowd around it. I parked next to a friends fully built 07 California special last year at a show. his car has every possible thing you could tastefully put on a mustang and still the mm had a crowd and he was mad because no one paid attention to his lol. I love my mm. wouldn't trade it for anything.

Lately I've been off and on about trading my car in but due to the fact that it's as rare as it is I have this inner feeling that I can't ever part with it, especially with such high miles that is only going higher each day. Some days I think of the sucky factor that the MM is ONLY rare because Ford couldn't sell them worth a damn and the timing was just awful ( 94-96 or 2006+ would've been more appropriate ). Every other day I think of the fact that it's a car that most folks can't just buy and the fact that I stand out in the sea full of FWD. jelly beans to include all of Ford/Lincoln's current sedan lineup.