PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Ford

clmrt
05-18-2014, 06:57 AM
I started out driving a 1978 Ford Fiesta, red on black. I loved that car. Now that the Fiesta ST is here, I got the itch to try a small car again, craving the handling that earlier car had but matched up with 200 hp instead of 65. My wife's Mazda3 reminded me what it was like to have a car that actually handled and the Marauder is quite poor in comparison, mostly due to the seats. ( I have the dead pedal.)

There's one (1) Fiesta ST in the Twin Cities as of yesterday, at Freeway Ford. It's black-on-black with a couple of options I wouldn't want. It was available to test and while we were out, their sales manager took the MM out for evaluation. Might as well get numbers on it. It was very strange to watch someone else take my baby out of the lot and I told the sales guy I was working with to zip it so we could listen to my car burble by and then open up a little as he pulled away. I noticed that every sales guy was watching it.

Now, just know that I was interested in a nostalgic comparison and out for a little joy ride. But, I had also just dropped $72 into the tank of the MM and frankly that's starting to sting a little bit...

The Fiesta was a little tight, to be sure. I'm 6'2 @ 230, and the guy I was with was only slightly shorter. We fit, but there wasn't room left for a fart. The MK1 seemed larger, probably due to the fact that everything on the new model seems to have "swelled" - the dash, seats, everything is so much thicker today. The windows of old made you feel like you were in a fishbowl, but the new, higher beltline, tall seats, rear head restraints all conspire to suffocate the light and box you in.

Anyway, after rolling a mile on surface streets, it's time to jump on the highway for some turbo action. As we approached the on-ramp, I noticed a wrench light was on inside the speedo - uh-oh. Sales guy of course didn't know what to make of it, it was his first time inside the 44-mile old ST. Anyway, up the ramp we go, 2nd gear, WOT...and nothing much happened. It felt like the Fiesta of old, slowly winding up...come on...come on...

So I guess the turbo was not operating due to some CEL. Or I hope it wasn't, because if it was, what crap is this? Handles great, but WTF, where's the second squirrel?

Back to the dealer. Sales manager really really really liked my car, except for the paint (HA!). Papers handed over showing the financials of a deal.

ST = $24,000 after tax and all rebates
Marauder - $4500

:shake:

Shook hands, said goodbye, and as I chirped 2nd on the way out of the dealership I had a huge grin and a new respect for my thirsty, paid-for, roomy, leather filled, V8 powered monster with that killer presence.

Curiosity satisfied.

justbob
05-18-2014, 07:31 AM
I had a tan '78 myself..

Next time you think about trading in, think about this.. Have you ever bragged about the '78? Exactly. To make it even worse. Would you brag about what you traded in on yet your second Fiesta??

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Merrill
05-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Love reading your stuff. Well written, keep it up.

HotRaud90
05-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Good car story. If I ever need a reason to love my Marauder even more, maybe I'll go test drive a prius or somethin. That should do the trick.

MarauderCyclone
05-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Hell's Fire....if your MM was in Primer and reading 200k on the clock , It should bring more than any piddly $4500.00 Offer. You did the right thing....leaving them in a cloud of dust.