PDA

View Full Version : tail lights done-s55

88CuttyClassic
06-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Why in Gods name did they not do this from the factory!!! i love it! If anyone has marauder trunk panel let me know!!!any color will do. the tails used were the cvpi repro, not the marauder repros. no use spending the extra money when they will mostly be painted. the red on mine is also lightly smoked. my paint guy professionally does tail lights and has found the consistency for a dozen shades of smoked tails.

88CuttyClassic
06-01-2014, 10:47 AM
a few more

82dawgcrazy
06-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Looks outstanding! Great job.

Can't wait to try this on mine.

What product did you use. How many coats?

88CuttyClassic
06-01-2014, 10:54 AM
my paint guy used just regular automotive paint. he then cleared the whole light with a tinted clear. hes mastered how much black to put in the clear to get different shades of smoked. he will not use night shades. He does work on a lot of cars for the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates. I swear by his work and he was excited to do the work for me because he never did a marauder.

MERCURY 2003LSE
06-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Nice , Great look :beer:

whitey
06-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Just as a heads up on anybody looking to do this at home, like i originally did. I used standard rustoleum black, then clear coated them. Looked great for about a year, matched perfect, but it eventually turned to a darker gray. Also, when i clearcoated the one, it turned out perfect, the other had orange peel. Both done at the same time. When i asked my paint guy what happened he said its due to a lot of different factors, but i think the factor that played the biggest role is the amount of propellant left in the can. A can half full doesn't spray as well as a can that is full.

To the op, looks good! Glad i had mine redone professionally after it started fading.

WPG_Merc
06-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Looks great, You should do the back up lights to match.:beer:

slickster
06-01-2014, 12:56 PM
a few more

that rubber seal kinda sticks out maybe its faded. ill make sure to paint that when i doit

88CuttyClassic
06-01-2014, 01:01 PM
You cant really do it right and paint that rubber. It flexes. Automotive paint will crack. Its brand new rubber and just needs wiped with some kinda rubber product.

Im looking to get another rear panel before i do they backup lights so if anyone has one let me know.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

HotRaud90
06-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Looks amazing. Can't wait to get mine done. Your guy did a bang up job! Congrats!

Dave2
06-01-2014, 08:47 PM
He did an excellent job, they turned out great....:beer:

L.Mark
06-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Looks sweet!!! Wish it would show up on the DTR's as well as it does on the other colors...