PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of the cv525

PuntyMario
06-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Before i get into this topic i want to set something straight first. I am not trying to troll or have the intention to create a flame war or something stupid like that. I tried asking about it on cv.net and got ridiculed and was called a no name troll because, heaven forbid, talking about crown vics on a crown vic forum is a sin.

Anyway. While browsing youtube i noticed the word cv525 and with a little google search it turned up something about a recently disclosed secret that shelby had worked on a few of his own supercharged crown victorias. Cv525 meaning crown victoria with 525 HP. I tried digging for anything more than speculation and came up with nothing.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Im hoping that this does turn out to be real because well cmon a shelby vic? Hell yeah. If it isnt then at least there will be a thread debunking this nonsense so no one else will need to ask.

Again im genuinely interested in this. Being shamed for making related topics on the appropriate forum isnt exactly what id call fun.

Comin' in Hot
06-01-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm pretty sure its not real.

Spectragod
06-01-2014, 07:09 PM
But if it was, I'd like to drive it...

Mebot
06-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Tell us more about cv.net. give us juicy gossip

PuntyMario
06-01-2014, 07:24 PM
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=202127&Number=2838645#Post2838645

Thats the thread in all its negative glory. Honestly didnt expect such a backlash from what i thought was an interesting topic.

camelgrundle
06-01-2014, 07:55 PM
If you want to make them mad tell them to take our spares off their cars

PuntyMario
06-01-2014, 08:58 PM
If you want to make them mad tell them to take our spares off their cars

They do that!? Thats annoying.

MarauderCyclone
06-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I profess to be a Crown Victoria guy...as I've owned my share of them.

I'm not surprised at how you were treated on the other website...I'll just say that it was one of the many reasons I stopped using it.

Regarding a CV525....Can't say that I've ever heard of such a thing...but I know for fact that many have been modded to achieve some incredible horsepower firgures.

A few years back , back when the CV was the dominant Police Vehicle in this country, I saw a number of examples of Very High Output P71's with SuperChargers on display at the Charlotte Motor Speedway ( Then Lowe's Speedway) during the Spring Food Lion AutoFair. These cars came from the following sources.

(1) Mark Ray Motorsports
(2) Roush Industries
(3) Sean Hyland Motorsports

I don't recall who's was the highest horsepower example , but all were seeking contracts to modify New Fleet Clients vehicles in the Law Enforcement Community.

Prior to the Marauder coming on the scene , these were some pretty impressive machines , minus some of the luxury as you would reasonably expect from a Police Package.

PuntyMario
06-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Prior to the Marauder coming on the scene , these were some pretty impressive machines , minus some of the luxury as you would reasonably expect from a Police Package.

I just checked out the roush ones. holy christ what a machine. its a shame theres no way to confirm a shelby vic since shelby passed away. got my fingers crossed that itll at least partly be true.

RF Overlord
06-02-2014, 04:00 AM
The only thing I'm aware of that is even close are the 18 "Cobra Vics" that Rousch built for Bob Bondurant to use at his driving school to teach pursuit and defensive techniques, but those didn't have that kind of power. Every once in a great while one comes up for sale...

71cyclone
06-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Tell us more about cv.net. give us juicy gossip
" Dually noted" :flamer: //On Crown Vic.net I am" MERCAVIC ",and their web sight is informative ,but not as active as MM.net [Just Say in]

Merrill
06-02-2014, 05:31 AM
I beleive there is a Bondurant car on display at Griots Garage here in Tacoma.
Late 90's CV with DOHC motor, cobra intake, manual trans, 5 point harnesses for all seats and window nets. Looks pretty cool.

gdmjoe
06-02-2014, 06:27 AM
MarauderCyclone ... A few years back , back when the CV was the dominant Police Vehicle in this country, I saw a number of examples of Very High Output P71's with SuperChargers on display at the Charlotte Motor Speedway ( Then Lowe's Speedway) during the Spring Food Lion AutoFair. These cars came from the following sources.

(1) Mark Ray Motorsports
(2) Roush Industries
(3) Sean Hyland Motorsports
Not sure if was part of any Marauder development, however, in 1998 at the Mustang 35th anniversay celebration at Charlotte Motor Speedway, ROUSH had a lowered, tricked-out, black, 32V, Crown Victoria in one of the display areas.

I was in the infield when I heard it start-up and went see where the throaty rumble was coming from.

Sure do miss those Food Lion AutoFairs and the Southern Performance Ford Club gatherings.

PuntyMario
06-02-2014, 04:26 PM
I beleive there is a Bondurant car on display at Griots Garage here in Tacoma.
Late 90's CV with DOHC motor, cobra intake, manual trans, 5 point harnesses for all seats and window nets. Looks pretty cool.

I can confirm that. I was at griotts a few weeks ago and saw it on display along with another vic and police Foxbody mustang.

http://i.imgur.com/ZpjRC3Kl.jpg

MarauderCyclone
06-05-2014, 12:56 AM
Not sure if was part of any Marauder development, however, in 1998 at the Mustang 35th anniversay celebration at Charlotte Motor Speedway, ROUSH had a lowered, tricked-out, black, 32V, Crown Victoria in one of the display areas.

I was in the infield when I heard it start-up and went see where the throaty rumble was coming from.

Sure do miss those Food Lion AutoFairs and the Southern Performance Ford Club gatherings.

I honestly don't know what spawned the Mercury Marauder or the Crown Victoria Sport? ( Not Directly Comparing an Apple to an Orange BTW ) ...but it surfices to say that I'm not going to look the gift horse in the mouth as they say. I'm just happy it happened.

My guess on the Spawning Idea is mixed. Somebody at Ford/Mercury took notice of the people modding Newer and Older Crown Vic's (1992-2002) and said Eureka...we have a market , limited , but a market none the less.

I confident in saying that the end of the day price tag squelched some of that market , thus the lower production numbers especially in the 2004 Model year. Let's face it , it wasn't a cheap car by any stretch during that time period.

I don't recall seeing any Marauders setting around waiting to be bought in 2003 in my area , as most if not all were spoken for before they even arrived. I know my corner Mercury Dealership's (RIP) 1st unit was Sold to the Service Manager before it even hit the property , and yes he was getting offers on it from day one.

IMHO....Ford/Mercury missed the boat by not having a Marauder/Crown Vic Sport ready to compete head to head with the 1994-1996 Impala SS at the same time....some have said they thought the Marauder fell short of their hopes in regards to Horsepower in it's final offering versus the end game price. Reading what people do and have done with some of thier cars on this website tends to make me think they were right.

PuntyMario
06-05-2014, 01:31 AM
I honestly don't know what spawned the Mercury Marauder or the Crown Victoria Sport? ( Not Directly Comparing an Apple to an Orange BTW ) ...but it surfices to say that I'm not going to look the gift horse in the mouth as they say. I'm just happy it happened.

My guess on the Spawning Idea is mixed. Somebody at Ford/Mercury took notice of the people modding Newer and Older Crown Vic's (1992-2002) and said Eureka...we have a market , limited , but a market none the less.

I confident in saying that the end of the day price tag squelched some of that market , thus the lower production numbers especially in the 2004 Model year. Let's face it , it wasn't a cheap car by any stretch during that time period.

I don't recall seeing any Marauders setting around waiting to be bought in 2003 in my area , as most if not all were spoken for before they even arrived. I know my corner Mercury Dealership's (RIP) 1st unit was Sold to the Service Manager before it even hit the property , and yes he was getting offers on it from day one.

IMHO....Ford/Mercury missed the boat by not having a Marauder/Crown Vic Sport ready to compete head to head with the 1994-1996 Impala SS at the same time....some have said they thought the Marauder fell short of their hopes in regards to Horsepower in it's final offering versus the end game price. Reading what people do and have done with some of thier cars on this website tends to make me think they were right.

what the marauder needed was a low end torque engine not a high revving one. reworked 5.4L anyone? had it been released in the same time frame as the the impala then it would have sold more competitively and then they could have released the updated ver we have now with the torque improved 3 valve 4.6L as a direct competitor to the dodge charger and Chrysler 300c.

MarauderCyclone
06-05-2014, 01:45 AM
My feelings exactly....Too Little and way too late.

The Marauder does make a nice collector car....can't say that everyone has one.

Marauderjack
06-05-2014, 04:34 AM
I think the Marauder was originally gonna be a Crown Victoria "Blackhawk"...see here:

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0101_ford_crown_victoria_b lackhawk/

Krytin
06-05-2014, 04:42 AM
I think the Marauder was originally gonna be a Crown Victoria "Blackhawk"...see here:

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0101_ford_crown_victoria_b lackhawk/

From the article above:

Strangely, the Crown Vic Blackhawk will compete with Ford's own Mercury Grand Marquis Marauder, a 5.4L V-8-equipped big sedan originally scheduled for production this year. The Marauder will now appear in showrooms after the Blackhawk debuts.

Marauderjack
06-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Saw that but things changed.....the Blackhawk never came out to my knowledge and the Marauder did!!:cool:

PuntyMario
06-05-2014, 04:54 AM
From the article above:

Strangely, the Crown Vic Blackhawk will compete with Ford's own Mercury Grand Marquis Marauder, a 5.4L V-8-equipped big sedan originally scheduled for production this year. The Marauder will now appear in showrooms after the Blackhawk debuts.

I knew it. shoulda had a 5.4L

Krytin
06-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Saw that but things changed.....the Blackhawk never came out to my knowledge and the Marauder did!!:cool:
The CV LX Sport was as close as they got - and was released before the Marauder. I remember seeing an '02 Sport before the Marauders showed up that had tailpipes like the Megs on it.

gdmjoe
06-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Krytin - The CV LX Sport was as close as they got - and was released before the Marauder. I remember seeing an '02 Sport before the Marauders showed up that had tailpipes like the Megs on it
The Sport 1st showed-up in 2001 as a mid-year option for the LX and was known as Five Passenger Sport Appearance Package.
http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/documents/lxsport/2001sap01-s.jpg

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/documents/lxsport/2001sap02-s.jpg
Document: Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport (http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/documents/lxsport/lxsport.html) ллл -click-
The ROUSH DOHC 4.6L Crown Victoria that I saw in 1998 at the Mustang 35th anniversay in Charlotte, NC led to the fleet of ROUSH prepared 1999 Cobra Vics (used by Bondurant).
http://www.gdmjoe.com/marauder/1999roushcobravic.jpg

ncmm
06-05-2014, 07:27 PM
hmmmmm. . .
http://www.autospies.com/news/Secret-facts-about-the-Ford-Shelby-CV525-81316/

L.Mark
06-05-2014, 11:54 PM
I thought the Sport came out several years before that...like the 95 design. I saw some that had the lace rims like the Mark VII LSC and had dual exhaust...although I think they called it the Handling Performance Package(HPP) then not Sport...but definitely the precursor to the Sport...

gdmjoe
06-06-2014, 07:25 AM
L.Mark - I thought the Sport came out several years before that...like the 95 design. I saw some that had the lace rims like the Mark VII LSC and had dual exhaust...although I think they called it the Handling Performance Package(HPP) then not Sport...but definitely the precursor to the Sport...
Using that logic, any 1950s+ dual exhausted FLM was ALSO the precursor to the Sport.

HPP (Handling and Performance Package) was an option that was 1st offered in 1992 (?). It included: Dual exhaust (good for 10HP (NPI) | 15HP (PI))
Revised springs & shocks, larger rear swaybar (21mm), rear air springs
Power steering fluid cooler
"Touring" tires
Cast aluminum wheels - lacy spoke (<2003) / 5-spoke (2003+)
Steeper non-locker gears (3.27 for most years, 3.55 for a short time in 2000-2001)HPP was ... standard with (and a part of) the LX Sport option (2001-2008)
not available on the base (P73) after 2002.
was an option on the LX (P74).
was never an option on the police|fleet (P71|P72).The LX Sport option included: Revised springs, shocks, and stabilizer bars (HPP***).
17" alloy 5-spoke wheels.
Rear air suspension (HPP***).
Leather seating.
Front bucket seats. *Never previously available on any previous Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis.
Monochromatic exterior treatment.
Center console with floor shift. *Never previously available on any previous Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis.
3.27 rear axle ratio - open differential. (HPP)
Dual exhaust. (HPP)

***note: The rear stabilizer bar and RAS were not HPP spec'ed.

EMAS
06-06-2014, 10:06 AM
I thought the Sport came out several years before that...like the 95 design. I saw some that had the lace rims like the Mark VII LSC and had dual exhaust...although I think they called it the Handling Performance Package(HPP) then not Sport...but definitely the precursor to the Sport...

The real predecessor would be the 1992 CV touring sedan (P75). It came with the HPP package, touring sedan script on the front fenders, two tone paint and ebony fake wood on the dash and door panels instead of the fake walnut as used on the regular cars and a few other unique interior details. Performance wise it was all the same as an LX with the HPP package. They did not sell very well and were not offered in 1993.

Here are pics from one that was for sale. http://www.mcsmk8.com/92-P75/92-P75.HTM Personally I'd love to have one to add to my collection of Panthers as I think the 6 window with the aero nose is one of the best looking Panthers ever made and the touring sedan has to be one of the rarest Panthers of all, though that title may belong to the GM LS-E

gdmjoe
06-06-2014, 06:28 PM
EMAS ... the rarest Panthers of all, though that title may belong to the GM LS-E
Not sure of the 2005 production #s for the LS-E (though that year is the lowest of the LS-E), however, the production #s for the 2008 Crown Victoria LX Sport (LX Premium Sport Handling and Performance Package) is ~909.

vegasmarauder
06-06-2014, 07:42 PM
The Bondurant cars were continously (errorously?) referred to as "Cobra Vics" in print and by CV enthusists.

At MMV-I in Texas in 2003 There was a Q & A about the Marauder and it was said that Rousch did contract work for Mercury on the Marauder because Ford-SVT did not want to do a heavy car and an automatic equipped car, They had their hands full with their own projects.

2 Impala SS's were secretly purchased and deconstructed to reverse engineer with the goal of the Marauder to be at least 25% better in every catagory. Marauder was desired to have the 5.4 Lighting engine, but Ford corporate decreed that no changes be made to the cowl and sheet metal, AC system, etc to keep costs down. The supercharger was axed just before production because they could not get consistant engine mileage durability numbers.

A lot of people (on CV.net) seem to thing the MM is a Marquis with CVPI parts. Not a lot of the parts were crossed over, despite them ending up on the MM over the years a cheaper service parts. However some of the parts were crossed over from other Ford lines much like Shelby did with using 57 Ranchero 9" rears in his 65 GT-350's.

And Shelby never had a hand in any of the MM development. He was strictly with the Mustangs.

All of this should be in the MM.net archives becuase this was hashed out numerous times since 2003..lol..

gdmjoe
06-07-2014, 07:53 AM
vegasmarauder - The Bondurant cars were continously (errorously?) referred to as "Cobra Vics" in print and by CV enthusists.
The term "Cobra Vics" was used rather than "Cobra powered Crown Victorias" . *Which sounds way more cooler than "Made for Bondurant Vic". :D

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

A lot of people (on CV.net) seem to thing the MM is a Marquis with CVPI parts. Not a lot of the parts were crossed over, despite them ending up on the MM over the years a cheaper service parts. ...
Know what you mean and no dis', however ... there are FAR MORE parts from the Crown Victoria (and not just the P71) bin(s) on the Marauder than those that are unique-only-to the Marauder.

...And Shelby never had a hand in any of the MM development. He was strictly with the Mustangs.
And MAYBE(?) the Crown Victoria - CV525 (http://www.autospies.com/news/Secret-facts-about-the-Ford-Shelby-CV525-81316/)

All of this should be in the MM.net archives becuase this was hashed out numerous times since 2003.
And that's the job of us o/d-timers ... Remind 'em. http://www.gdmjoe.com/evil.gif