PDA

View Full Version : More for my '01 Century

ledzilla
06-11-2014, 09:05 AM
So, I got a check engine light on my Century, and the code says it's the cam position sensor. So, I bought a new sensor and went to swap it out, only to find that I can't quite seem to get the power steering pump out of the way, since the sensor is directly below it.

I've searched and searched, but I can't find any info on how to safely get the pump out from between the mounting bracket and rear fuel rail. The only thing I saw was from a slightly older model where things were shaped differently and it came right out. Does anyone know how to get it out?

Also, in my searching I discovered that the sensor may be just fine, but the magnets in the cam may have fallen out, so if I can get in there I'll be trying to take a look at that.

fastblackmerc
06-11-2014, 09:38 AM
So, I got a check engine light on my Century, and the code says it's the cam position sensor. So, I bought a new sensor and went to swap it out, only to find that I can't quite seem to get the power steering pump out of the way, since the sensor is directly below it.

I've searched and searched, but I can't find any info on how to safely get the pump out from between the mounting bracket and rear fuel rail. The only thing I saw was from a slightly older model where things were shaped differently and it came right out. Does anyone know how to get it out?

Also, in my searching I discovered that the sensor may be just fine, but the magnets in the cam may have fallen out, so if I can get in there I'll be trying to take a look at that.
How about testing it first??

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/3.1L-3.4L/how-to-test-the-cam-sensor-1

How to replace:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5640441_remove-buick-crankshaft-sensor.html

ledzilla
06-11-2014, 11:55 AM
That test looks nice and easy, and I have a digital multimeter to boot. I guess it couldn't hurt testing even though I already bought a replacement sensor.

However, the page providing replacment instructions is for the crank position sensor, not the cam position sensor. That's part of the problem I was having. Plenty on how to get to the crank sensor, not much on the cam sensor. The only instructions I found weren't helpful as they didn't take into account the power steering pump. They essentially said "unplug, remove bolt, pull out sensor, then reverse with new sensor". Not really helpful.