PDA

View Full Version : $300 deal of the year

Motorhead350
06-18-2014, 10:51 AM
That's right $300 got me this RUNNING and DRIVING 1993 Ford Econoline with 131,000 miles!

I got a 3rd job and saved up. This thing was good to go after fresh gas and a fresh battery, it started right up. It has the inline 6 engine, which I was told is dependable as rust.

It comes complete with mismatched taillights and door damage to keep thieves away. Everything works except the horn and A/C, but I will fix those.

This is for my band and will be my winter beater.

Plans include different doors with windows, a second row bench seat for my crew and moving the cage back to the middle of the body.

$300 can still get you a running, driving vehicle these days. Unbelievable.

Motorhead350
06-18-2014, 10:55 AM
More pictures....

JBeezy
06-18-2014, 11:10 AM
That's pretty cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Zack
06-18-2014, 12:37 PM
The condition of your vehicle is a direct representation of where you are in life.

Bigdogjim
06-18-2014, 12:40 PM
The color looks like dark wedgewood blue. Nice find!

RF Overlord
06-18-2014, 12:49 PM
It has the inline 6 engine, which I was told is dependable as rust.The 4.9L six was one of the best engines Ford ever built. I don't think even YOU can kill it... ;)

Motorhead350
06-18-2014, 01:00 PM
The condition of your vehicle is a direct representation of where you are in life.

Going somewhere? Yup!

Just got a call to jump on the fall U.S. tour with the Misfits!

Your cars? Never happy with them, never complete... like your life.

Lots of people do not have cars and are alive. Your argument is invalid.

Not even you can make me upset. Hehehe

kernie
06-18-2014, 01:10 PM
The only reason you couldn't get it cheaper was because the crusher would pay that or near that. Not many people want a 21 year old van with a hard 131k on it.

That said, i hope it serves you well.

:beer:

tbone
06-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Good luck with it.

justbob
06-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Just wait till maintenance comes around.. BTW I can tell you now it will average 8-10 MPG and chew front and rear brake pads every 15,000 or less. Oh, did I mention tires?? Good deal regardless, just be prepared to invest.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Mebot
06-18-2014, 02:42 PM
You're touring with the misfits? That's awesome. I hear they are doing a show down in Texas at gas monkey bar & grill

martyo
06-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Congrats, now go paint "FREE CANDY" on the sides!!!

whitey
06-18-2014, 03:37 PM

Lmao! Come on now, it was a good deal! Congratulations Dom!

Bigdogjim
06-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Thing is it is a step in right direction. The 21 year old v an will haul band members and gear, marauder need a trailer. Repairs on the van can done almost anywhere, marauder parts are sometimes hard to find.

Good luck with the tour.

L.Mark
06-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Yeah, not sure I completely agree with this one...

Good find Dom, hope it serves it purpose well...

Motorhead350
06-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Just wait till maintenance comes around.. BTW I can tell you now it will average 8-10 MPG and chew front and rear brake pads every 15,000 or less. Oh, did I mention tires?? Good deal regardless, just be prepared to invest.

"Since 2004"

The tires are like new and the master cylinder isn't even dirty. Whoever had this before the last owner must have spent $1,000 on brakes and tires. It stops like a new car.

You're touring with the misfits? That's awesome. I hear they are doing a show down in Texas at gas monkey bar & grill

Yes sir. Working on details.

Yeah, not sure I completely agree with this one...

Good find Dom, hope it serves it purpose well...

All Zack wants to do is give me a hard time on-line because he is not happy with life.

Bigdogjim
06-18-2014, 07:41 PM
The only reason you couldn't get it cheaper was because the crusher would pay that or near that. Not many people want a 21 year old van with a hard 131k on it.

That said, i hope it serves you well.

131K in 21 years is about 6200 miles a year,not hard miles, the van was local. At 12,000 miles per year avg. it should have 252K on the clock.

kernie
06-18-2014, 07:56 PM
131K in 21 years is about 6200 miles a year,not hard miles, the van was local. At 12,000 miles per year avg. it should have 252K on the clock.

I guess i'm thinking of my younger years as a sheet metal apprentice. There were 5 or so company vans, young folks like myself drove/abused them. Perhaps this "electrical" company had more responsible drivers. In general, local miles in a contractors van would qualify as hard miles. IMO, only.

EMAS
06-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Congrats on the gig!

Great score on the Econoline that is less than you can get for it at the local scale. There is a reason that the Econoline has enjoyed over 50% market share for more than a decade. That is because commercial users know that they are far and away the overall most economical and durable choice out there.

Motorhead350
06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
It's an old electricians van. I am pretty sure the guy was self employed and took care of his own van. The guy I bought it from (who is not an electrician) crashed it 5 years ago and got a DUI. That's why the doors are damaged. The guy never bothered to get his license back or fix the van. So it sat for 4 or 5 years.

I drove it all day today. ZERO issues. The brakes are one of the best sets I have ever used. It goes straight and starts on the first crank every time.

This thing is a beast.

kernie
06-18-2014, 09:45 PM
It's an old electricians van. I am pretty sure the guy was self employed and took care of his own van. The guy I bought it from (who is not an electrician) crashed it 5 years ago and got a DUI. That's why the doors are damaged. The guy never bothered to get his license back or fix the van. So it sat for 4 or 5 years.

I drove it all day today. ZERO issues. The brakes are one of the best sets I have ever used. It goes straight and starts on the first crank every time.

This thing is a beast.

Don't get me wrong, i wish you the best of luck.

J-MAN
06-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Leave the light bulb on the side. In case someone gets an idea.

Bigdogjim
06-19-2014, 03:49 AM
I guess i'm thinking of my younger years as a sheet metal apprentice. There were 5 or so company vans, young folks like myself drove/abused them. Perhaps this "electrical" company had more responsible drivers. In general, local miles in a contractors van would qualify as hard miles. IMO, only.

I know what you mean as far as abuse to say Company vehicles. It was owned by the one guy self employed so I would be willing to bet he worked a 75-100 miles from home?

Anyway Dom needs to start somewhere so this is as good as any.(IMHO)

71cyclone
06-19-2014, 04:17 AM
The 4.9L six was one of the best engines Ford ever built. I don't think even YOU can kill it... ;)
Yes Sir ,back in my FoMOCo days, old f150 buyers would order the Inline 6 over the 302 because of longevity and the HP wasn't much difference [ early 80's]:banana2:

justbob
06-19-2014, 04:17 AM
Hey Dom, check the door sticker for the GVW rating. You may just love why I'm asking.. :)

And you are right about it being a beast. As you know, I drive an '05 E250 every day so I should know.. I was given this one two years ago w/73,000, already at 105,000 now. I wish I had the 5.4 or the straight six as this ones 4.6 is a total dog.. These are also known to run past 300,000 miles if you keep up on the maintenance.

"Since 2004"

IwantmyMMnow!
06-19-2014, 05:42 AM
My Dad owned two of these vans and put over 150k on both of them, including road trips from NC to WI, NC to TX, and NC to Halifax, Nova Scotia. I remember him complaining about having to buy tires more often, but don't remember either of those vans having any major issues.

Good find and good luck Dom.

Bigdogjim
06-19-2014, 07:48 AM
I was given this one two years ago w/73,000, already at 105,000 now. I wish I had the 5.4 or the straight six as this ones 4.6 is a total dog.. These are also known to run past 300,000 miles if you keep up on the maintenance.
Way back in '99 I took a job with a Company that deliver tropical fish to about 350 Wal-Mart's in 14 States we ran the whole thing out of Ewing, NJ (Trenton) After about 1 1/2 years I talked the Boss into getting new vans (the fleet was at 16 then) anyway after 2 more years I got all the beat up junk (Ford, Chevy, & Dodge) out the door, replaced them with Ford E-350 extended vans. (23 with I left 10 years later) After that I got 500,000 off the 5.4L and had one diesel, and 3 V-10's used to junk the old one prior to me getting there but, I sold the high mileage van with 4-6 thousand! It is all about following a plan do you PM's on either time or mileage. I had engine hour gauge installed after market to keep an eye on idling excess.
I know your's is used but say on the up keep and it will serve you well!

LOWBUCKMM
06-21-2014, 04:17 PM
IS THAT A CAR PHONE I SEE?!? And that's a good buy of a van. With that motor it will run for a long time. Me and my cousin tried to blow up his old f-250 with the straight six. We could not do it short of running it low of oil and cutting the belts.

Motorhead350
06-21-2014, 05:42 PM
We tore it apart today. I finally found the right tail light. It's 92-94 only. It was needed or the turning signal would not flash. The mismatched right side does not have the hole for a flasher!

We got out the shelving, cage and latter racks. All for sale. Going up on CL tonight or tomorrow. I might have this van pay for itself!

With a little WD-40, we got the second row doors to open too. That circle lock is gold. We have two of them. Mounting the cage in the middle soon, finding a good bench seat, get a muffler, old change and it's good to go! ordered a new mirror insert today.

It needs a few little things, but they are little.

J-MAN
06-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Going somewhere? Yup!

Just got a call to jump on the fall U.S. tour with the Misfits!

Your cars? Never happy with them, never complete... like your life.

Lots of people do not have cars and are alive. Your argument is invalid.

Not even you can make me upset. Hehehe

How did I miss this? :confused:

Not sure what this exactly means.

Enlighten me. What were the previously unknown/unsuccessful bands that went on tour with the misfits and that are now well known/successful? Just those in the last two decades would be fine. Thanks!

Motorhead350
06-21-2014, 08:01 PM
How did I miss this? :confused:

Not sure what this exactly means.

Enlighten me. What were the previously unknown/unsuccessful bands that went on tour with the misfits and that are now well known/successful? Just those in the last two decades would be fine. Thanks!

The Eagles, The Doors, Boston, The Kinks, N.W.A., Weezer, Creed, Pinhead Gunpowder, The Black Keys, One Direction and Paul Anka.

J-MAN
06-21-2014, 08:24 PM
The Eagles, The Doors, Boston, The Kinks, N.W.A., Weezer, Creed, Pinhead Gunpowder, The Black Keys, One Direction and Paul Anka.

Never would have known that those bands were unknown/unsuccessful until touring? with the misfits. I've got goose bumps all over!
Last two decades? Doors disbanded in '73 after Morrisons death. Eagles broke up in 1980, when they reunited unlikely they toured with anyone they would have been a solo act. Nice try! :D

Too bad no work in the windy city on a Saturday night. Seems so appropriate.

justbob
06-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Post 25

"Since 2004"

Motorhead350
06-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Post 25

"Since 2004"

8,550. I cannot figure out the towing rating no matter how much I Google it. Turns out this is actually an E-250.

The Misfits has also toured with Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, a The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, and Lady Gaga.

justbob
06-22-2014, 01:54 AM
8,550. I cannot figure out the towing rating no matter how much I Google it. Turns out this is actually an E-250.

The Misfits has also toured with Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, a The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, and Lady Gaga.

Besides the year alone getting you out of having to do emissions, you are also above 8,500 #s which ALSO exempts you from having too.. Congrats!

"Since 2004"

J-MAN
06-22-2014, 02:33 AM

Ha great story! Good luck on the "fantasy" tour. :sing: