PDA

View Full Version : Leased car in accident, repair strategy?

chief455
06-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Someone with a leased car intending to return it and re lease, gets into an at fault minor damage accident.
No report - drives away, other car doesn't care (unharmed).

Fix the damage, have the paint to like new and trade it in, off the grid?

File insurance claim (rates go up), pay deductible, get reported claim repair (which will lower end of lease value)?
Do the dealers really look at the returned lease cars more than a visual anyway - like if a fender get's replaced? VIN stickers on panels?

I had a lease years ago that got a bumper bruise before and fixed/traded it in no issue. But it's a new day, and this guy asking isn't a car guy...anyone deal with leases? I can have my body guy fix him up, but don't want to steer him wrong.

71cyclone
06-27-2014, 04:14 AM
Someone with a leased car intending to return it and re lease, gets into an at fault minor damage accident.
No report - drives away, other car doesn't care (unharmed).

Fix the damage, have the paint to like new and trade it in, off the grid?

File insurance claim (rates go up), pay deductible, get reported claim repair (which will lower end of lease value)?
Do the dealers really look at the returned lease cars more than a visual anyway - like if a fender get's replaced? VIN stickers on panels?

I had a lease years ago that got a bumper bruise before and fixed/traded it in no issue. But it's a new day, and this guy asking isn't a car guy...anyone deal with leases? I can have my body guy fix him up, but don't want to steer him wrong.
Well Today- Your Factory Leases ,Go over the cars thoroughly and most leases make you responsible for incurred damage and will bill you ,because the car has to be returned in reasonably good condition sanz depreciation or normal wear. Now if you have the option to buy the vehicle after lease ,you may have some air space. If you have a reputable repair facility that can make the repairs get it done [out of the pocket no report ] and be done with it. Some years back I bought a Car with a clean car fax ,maintained by dealer ,however I found later that the bumper [plastic] was re shot and another spot was painted, I don't know if it was done before new car delivery or after ? ..:bandit: