PDA

View Full Version : MM v CV

Dan
04-13-2004, 07:58 PM
What is the out of the box top speed of the MM?

How does it's performance in speed, braking and handling compare to the CV sport/CVPI models?

I did do a search and did not find anything.

Thanks.

Best,

Dan

BlackHole
04-13-2004, 08:18 PM
This is a joke right I mean you can't be serious!!!

The MM is chipped for 117 MPH only due to CARB and to not pay a gas guzzeler tax on it. But any aftermarket chip should eleminate the Govt. and then 140 mph+ should be possable. The other 2 are about equal in handeling and are quit inferior in the acceleration department.

Dan
04-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the information. I wasn't joking. I did not know.

Best,

Dan

Sactown
04-13-2004, 09:28 PM
What is the out of the box top speed of the MM?

How does it's performance in speed, braking and handling compare to the CV sport/CVPI models?

I did do a search and did not find anything.

Thanks.

Best,

Dan

I don't have any numbers for you, but I test drove both a CV sport and a MM when deciding what to buy. The extra HP in the MM really shows through and the handling was more responsive.

junehhan
04-13-2004, 09:47 PM
I had an 2000 Crown Vic with the handling and performance package(still in the family actually). The 00 CV actually felt much torquier off the line than my Marauder, but the power on it feels like it fizzles right where the party starts on the Marauder. The Marauder doesn't seem to have as much low rpm torque, but it really lights up after 3500rpms!

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but before they revised the engine a bit for 01, the older version with the performance package made 285lb-ft of torque that peaked at very low rpms. That was pretty decent considering that the 2000 model year CV's with the performance and handling package came with 3.55's instead of 3.27's like the other years.

Marauder
04-14-2004, 05:58 AM
This is a joke right I mean you can't be serious!!!

The MM is chipped for 117 MPH only due to CARB and to not pay a gas guzzeler tax on it. But any aftermarket chip should eleminate the Govt. and then 140 mph+ should be possable. The other 2 are about equal in handeling and are quit inferior in the acceleration department.

Are you sure its 117? I thought it was 129 like the PI's. Mine is stock and I've gotten up to 120 and it didn't top out.

My old CV Sport topped out at 109 (felt the engine back off) before I got my chip...after that, I go it up to 120 once to test it out but that was it.

MAD-3R
04-14-2004, 06:53 AM
Are you sure its 117? I thought it was 129 like the PI's. Mine is stock and I've gotten up to 120 and it didn't top out.

My old CV Sport topped out at 109 (felt the engine back off) before I got my chip...after that, I go it up to 120 once to test it out but that was it.

AT WOT, it will spike to 124ish, but at anything less then WOT, it does bounce of 117. Did it a couple of times before my first round of mods.

Macon Marauder
04-14-2004, 07:01 AM
It must vary a bit from car to car. After all, it's a rev limiter, right? Not a governor?

I think I remember some very early posts, when we were all still trying to figure this thing out, some saying they topped out at 119, 123, and various other speeds. I've never been over 100 in either of my Marauders.

My brothers drive cop cars for a living. They've been *****ing for years about the rev limiters in their cars. One of them says the fastest cop car he ever had was a '98 CV - no rev limiter.

PS: according to the dyno computer at Team Ford, my old '03 300A with DR chip topped out a 142.

sailsmen
04-14-2004, 07:17 AM
I believe the MM has some suspension parts such as shocks that are not on the CV or GM.

It also has a steering rack that is not on the CV or GM.

HookedOnCV
04-14-2004, 11:20 AM
I believe the MM has some suspension parts such as shocks that are not on the CV or GM.

It also has a steering rack that is not on the CV or GM.

'03 and up Crown Vic's/Grand Marquis with the HPP (handling and performance package) option have the same steering and suspension setup except for the Tokiko shocks that the Marauder's have (just like sailsmen mentioned).

'01 and up CV/GM (all - not just the sport or Police Interceptors) have the PI (performance improved) heads which allow additional airflow through the engine and gain an additional 15 HP or so over the 2000 MY and older cars.

Top speed on CV PI's is speed limiter limited to 127 MPH, all others around 107 MPH. An aftermarket chip can resolve that issue though.

Two differnt motors in these cars guys...it's like comparing apples and oranges in terms of performance. The 4V heads flow a lot more air than even P&P 2V heads like mine do. That's why the Marauders can get into the mid 13's to mid 14's without any SIGNIFIGANT power adders like superchargers or even nitrous. They are a much better platform to build a fast car from vs. the Crown Vics.

I am hoping to get in the low 13's with my CV this summer with the stock exhaust, s/c, P&P heads, 3.27 gears, and drag radials. I ran a 13.8 last weekend on factory tires, and poor (cold) track conditions.

Todd

darebren
04-14-2004, 11:28 AM
with $2,000 in upgrades there is absolutely no comparison MM wins hands down.. over most other cars too

Paul T. Casey
04-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Theoretically, the MM should get to the 150ish area (based on hp, weight, drag, etc.). I saw the actual figures somewhere, but I can't remember where. I believe that this car is going to be very light and shakey at these speeds. Adding down-force (spoilers) also slows top speed, so we may never know. It's kinda frightening to think about though, 4000 lbs. travelling at 150, with 10 lbs ground weight on each tire. Hope you don't find a stone in the road!

TAF
04-14-2004, 11:37 AM
'03 and up Crown Vic's/Grand Marquis with the HPP (handling and performance package) option have the same steering and suspension setup except for the Tokiko shocks that the Marauder's have (just like sailsmen mentioned).

'01 and up CV/GM (all - not just the sport or Police Interceptors) have the PI (performance improved) heads which allow additional airflow through the engine and gain an additional 15 HP or so over the 2000 MY and older cars.

Top speed on CV PI's is speed limiter limited to 127 MPH, all others around 107 MPH. An aftermarket chip can resolve that issue though.

Two differnt motors in these cars guys...it's like comparing apples and oranges in terms of performance. The 4V heads flow a lot more air than even P&P 2V heads like mine do. That's why the Marauders can get into the mid 13's to mid 14's without any SIGNIFIGANT power adders like superchargers or even nitrous. They are a much better platform to build a fast car from vs. the Crown Vics.

I am hoping to get in the low 13's with my CV this summer with the stock exhaust, s/c, P&P heads, 3.27 gears, and drag radials. I ran a 13.8 last weekend on factory tires, and poor (cold) track conditions.

Todd
Well said, from someone who knows and understands the differences. *just added some + Rep. points for ya on this one.:up:

HookedOnCV
04-14-2004, 12:38 PM
with $2,000 in upgrades there is absolutely no comparison MM wins hands down.. over most other cars too

Keep in mind that your initial costs are higher over that of a Crown Vic. A 2003 CV Sport (closest thing to a 2003 Marauder) was maybe $6-7k less (list price).

I bought mine with 1350 miles on it as a 1 year old car for $19k and have $6k into performance upgrades so far. It is faster than a stock Marauder for less than a new stock Marauder (not by much). Thing is I bought my car when the Marauder was just coming out and at that time it was out of my reach in terms of $$$.

Now - in defense of the Crown Vic...I feel my car is also a little more unique than the Marauder as far as the LX-Sport package. I don't think there were more than 2000 LX-Sports made in 2001 (just my best guess - although I haven't seen more than a handlful of them over the past few years). I doubt that there is even 6000 CV with the Sport package in 2001 through 2004 MY.

If I had to do it all over again, I MIGHT still go the Crown Vic route, but a low mileage used 2003 Marauder would be very tempting as a starting point. New gears, headers, & chip puts you in something close to what I have for a lot less $$$ in aftermarket parts. You guys have had such an influx of aftermarket performance parts that we older (98-2002) Crown Vic owners can't use (headers for example).

After riding in Marauderer's Trilogy car, my CV with the s/c feels pretty weak...especially pulling through 2nd gear. For the money, you can't beat that combination.

Todd

Paul T. Casey
04-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Okay, I found it. 148.625mph. There's a neat little calculater over on the GTO site. I figure weight and aerodynamics are pretty close. It can br found at ultimategto.com/art29.htm. That's not a functioning link here, sorry, I was excited!

Paul T. Casey
04-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Rpm x 60x (inches of tire travel per 1 engine revolution) all that divided by 63360. Then multiply that number times co-efficient of drag. Then I forget how to do the weight calculation, just go to the GTO site…. :cry:

RCSignals
04-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Keep in mind that your initial costs are higher over that of a Crown Vic. A 2003 CV Sport (closest thing to a 2003 Marauder) was maybe $6-7k less (list price).

No where near that much difference in price. The MSRP on a 2003 CVLXSport was $32K plus.

The Marauder was a far better bargain. The only thing close to a Marauder with a Sport is the floor console. Different quality leather, different quality wheels, tires, etc etc.

Krytin
04-14-2004, 03:01 PM

Not to start trouble or stir up old arguments but, my 300A is still stock & I've had it up to 135 mph. I held it there for some time & didn't notice any vibration or indication of a rev limiter.

RCSignals
04-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by sailsmen

It also has a steering rack that is not on the CV or GM. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sailsmen is right, there are more differences between the Marauder suspension and the CV/GM suspension, even with HPP, than just the Tokico shocks.

junehhan
04-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Out of curiosity, what speed will 3rd gear top out at the 6000rpm redline? Providing a stock Marauder can top out 3rd gear, i'm going to assume a shift to 4th gear will put it too far out of the powerband to continue accelerating with that kind of drag, right?

Krytin
04-15-2004, 03:16 PM
135 mph in O/D @ approx. 4100 rpm. It felt like it would still accelerate - it got to 135 pretty quick.

Firedab
04-15-2004, 03:23 PM
I believe if you have the O/D off you actually get a higher top end than with it in the on position. I think there were posts here before about that. Can't remember numbers though!

norcag
04-15-2004, 07:33 PM
HookedonCV, I had about the same situtatiuon when you bought your CV. Purchased mine about 2 months before MM hit showroom floor. I have driven several MM's and love the way they handle. At this time I will stay with my CV, may later buy used Mustang Cobra, just what someone my age needs. See my profile for track times. Think I will improve time slightly next time out, hope to get in lower 14's.

HookedOnCV
04-20-2004, 01:16 AM
HookedonCV, I had about the same situtatiuon when you bought your CV. Purchased mine about 2 months before MM hit showroom floor. I have driven several MM's and love the way they handle. At this time I will stay with my CV, may later buy used Mustang Cobra, just what someone my age needs. See my profile for track times. Think I will improve time slightly next time out, hope to get in lower 14's.

Had to smile when I read your comment about the Cobra and your age, then looked at your profile - age 72. Damn...good for you!

I love the Marauder and am very jealous over Marauderer's Trilogy s/c making in excess of 440 RWHP (110 RWHP more than mine). It's a blast to ride in. I'm just saying that the CV LX-Sports are even more rare than the Marauders, and even though I may not be as fast, I still have one of the fastest Crown Vic's out there and I think it looks great too. :)

Todd

RCSignals
04-20-2004, 01:38 AM
I'm just saying that the CV LX-Sports are even more rare than the Marauders,
That's very true. As I recall there were only about 1500 sold for 2002.
I haven't seen a breakdown for 2003 but I don't doubt there were more Marauders sold.
Anyone in the market for a CV really should be looking closely at the LXSport, unless you just have to have a front bench seat.