PDA

View Full Version : Smog in CA

Donald
07-06-2014, 01:26 PM
A few years ago I sold my 1987 Thunderbird to a guy in AZ. He bought it for his nephew. Nephew put in a new interior, new suspension, new 4R70W trans and a Cobra motor. The nephew is now in CA.

How does this thing get smogged? Can't fall under 1987 rules since it is not really a 1987 T'Bird anymore. Or are the smog reqs based on engine only?

88LTDCV351
07-06-2014, 04:30 PM
California has strict laws on such things. However, I do think there are exceptions in the rules where you can go to special places and test your vehicle to show it emits less emissions than the original engine. But might cost money and lots of red tape.

RF Overlord
07-06-2014, 05:43 PM
I thought I read that CA says the emissions have to match the year of the motor, not the car, so as long as it will pass the tailpipe test for whatever year the motor is, you should be OK. Unless I'm wrong...

ARodmarauder
07-06-2014, 08:01 PM
I thought I read that CA says the emissions have to match the year of the motor, not the car, so as long as it will pass the tailpipe test for whatever year the motor is, you should be OK. Unless I'm wrong...

What he said. Everything emission piece from the cobra has to be on the car. After you need to take it to a certified gold smog station so that he can do all the tests required for smog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guspech750
07-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I just simply would not move to or live in Nazifornia.

Problem solved.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Donald
07-07-2014, 09:51 AM
He is leaving it registered in AZ.

88LTDCV351
07-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Yes, but you have to pass the visual inspection. Anything not original has to have a CARB Executive Order number on it. Although, I've heard some smog techs don't know what a Marauder engine looks like. I think Brian has looked into this further, so let's wait for him to chime in.

88LTDCV351
07-07-2014, 10:16 AM
CARB website: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Replacement EnginesEntire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original

If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes").

Engine ChangesEngine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450
After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

Marauderjack
07-07-2014, 02:30 PM
That's RIDICULOUS!!:mad2:

Mr. Man
07-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Are there places where you could take it for testing that are more performance oriented? They may have a more look the other way as long as it passes the sniff test.

88LTDCV351
07-07-2014, 03:16 PM
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
Hmmm. My old Crown Vic is a gas hog and pollutes a lot. Wonder if I could put a more modern fuel efficient/less emissions and more powerful motor in there with smog equipment and get it tuned and see a smog referee for a sniffer. Eco-boost? lol Smog and fuel efficiency has come a long way since the old dogs of the eighties and especially seventies (at least for some of the full size cars of that time). lol

88LTDCV351
07-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Are there places where you could take it for testing that are more performance oriented? They may have a more look the other way as long as it passes the sniff test.

I don't know. Brian might know. But I don't think so. I think you have to take a car to get it tuned at a performance shop and if they leave the smog equipment on but manage to pass the sniffer, then I think you are ok. But I don't think the performance shop can do the actual test for the DMV but they can probably do a pre-test while they are tuning it. Then you would have to go to an official station for the real test.

Mr. Man
07-08-2014, 05:59 AM
Do the CA DMV people read the engine code? How would they know the car didn't just come with the engine that's in it?

fastblackmerc
07-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Do the CA DMV people read the engine code? How would they know the car didn't just come with the engine that's in it?

I bet they don't know that the MM came with 4 cats either...........

ChiTownMaraud3r
07-08-2014, 06:48 AM
I just simply would not move to or live in Nazifornia.

Problem solved.

Rumor has it Illinois is trying to move towards California like standards regarding emissions. They might start mirroring and tail pipe sniffing. Another reason to move out of here.

guspech750
07-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Rumor has it Illinois is trying to move towards California like standards regarding emissions. They might start mirroring and tail pipe sniffing. Another reason to move out of here.

Yeah. I heard that too.
But I think with our state being so broke, they can't afford it.

Yet???

ChiTownMaraud3r
07-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah. I heard that too.
But I think with our state being so broke, they can't afford it.

Yet???

Wouldn't surprise me if the almighty Rahm would blame "gun violence" on automobile pollution and forces the entire state to abide by stricter smog regulations.

guspech750
07-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the almighty Rahm would blame "gun violence" on automobile pollution and forces the entire state to abide by stricter smog regulations.

Drives by's do create automobile pollution. :)

Motorhead350
07-08-2014, 12:28 PM
zoDe8a2Jtus

I cannot wait to move out there with headers and an IL tag! It will probably be switched to OH by then.