PDA

View Full Version : nVidia 6800 Unleashed !!!

MENINBLK
04-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Read about it here at Gamespot.com...

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6093452/index.html

I can't wait to see what ATI releases that spanks nVidia for good...

junehhan
04-14-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm just so sad that the company that invented 3D acceleration in the consumer enthusiast market, is no more. 3DFX will always be remembered as the pioneer of 3D accleration in PC gaming applications.......

Now that they are gone, at least nVidia keeps things rolling with pieces of art like this. This will probably be the graphics card i'll use when I build my new Athlon based computer in a month or two.

Fourth Horseman
04-15-2004, 12:40 AM
I agree. I remember when I brought home my 3Dfx voodoo card (the original) back before any of my friends even knew what 3D accelleration was. I couldn't believe how good Quake looked at 640x480. :)

It's interesting to note that the new nVidia card still doesn't seem to be able to match the image quality of the ATI chips. Perhaps that'll change as the drivers for the NV40 mature, though.

Personally, I'm sitting on my two ATI 9800 pros (one in my Mac and one in my PC) until we have PCI Express. Then I'll upgrade systems and video cards at all once. That is, unless Doom 3 doesn't play well on these cards, then all bets are off. :)

junehhan
04-15-2004, 09:19 AM
What struck me when I bought the original Voodoo card for $400, was the image quality, and the insane frame rates that 3D accelleration made possible. Then I upgraded to the dual Voodoo 2 SLI setup, and am just running the Voodoo 3 right now on my outdated system. To be honest, as long as the difference in image quality isn't of epic proportions, frame rates I feel is more important. Now of course, if the difference in image quality is very noticeable, then that does become an issue.

*sigh*

If 3DFX was still around, no telling what crazy thing we may have seen from them. I'm a bit pissed at them still, because I was a stockholder when they went out of buisness.............

darebren
04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
anyone have any updates on the new Doom game? I guess I could go and look, but if it is on the tip of someone's tounge, go ahead and post an update.

also, I really like Battlefield 1942, any one get theirnew vietnam game?

p.s. I'm a half-life wiz... when I go in the computer room, and the sounds of gun fire start reverberating through the wall, my wife just shakes her head...

Fourth Horseman
04-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Word is that Doom3 development is wrapping up now. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing we'll see the game in the June / July time frame.

While we wait for Doom3 I'd suggest looking into FarCry and PainKiller. Both have excellent graphics and great game play.

Jeff
04-15-2004, 10:05 AM
All they lack is finishing up. :baaa:

the fat bastid
04-15-2004, 10:06 AM
i just bought my 9800xt for $500 like a month ago too :(

awh well, what can ya do?

i'm glad to see a new and subtanital upgrade instead of the crappy 'slighty more mhz' upgrades we have been seeing. this is a bigger step then tnt->geforce.

i loved 3dfx but they dropped the ball for 6 months. that killed them. nvidia was in 3dfx's position before this card and could have easily just done the same thing but it looks like they learned and planned and are now kings again instead of going under.

and BF:vietnam feels more like a mod for 1942 then a full game. it is deffiently not a sequel but i guess thats why its not at full game prices. its more of the same...same fun, same problems, exatcly.

this post wasnt spell checked....i gotta get back to work!

SouLRioT
04-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Personally, I'm sitting on my two ATI 9800 pros (one in my Mac and one in my PC) until we have PCI Express. Then I'll upgrade systems and video cards at all once. That is, unless Doom 3 doesn't play well on these cards, then all bets are off. :)

I am with you on that one. Not upgrading untill the next wave of real improvments. PCI express and serial ATA drives on everything.

junehhan
04-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Doom 3 is the sole and only reason why i'm going to be building myself a new computer system shortly. I'm also looking foward to Unreal 2, and a few other games as well.

Dr Caleb
04-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Word is that Doom3 development is wrapping up now. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing we'll see the game in the June / July time frame.

While we wait for Doom3 I'd suggest looking into FarCry and PainKiller. Both have excellent graphics and great game play.

I just got Unreal Tournament 2004, playing on a P4 2Ghz/512m/Raedon 9800 128m @ 1152X864X32bit - HOLEEE ****ZLE!

Remember the difference between Quake 2 and Quake 3? Same deal. Stunning graphics, not a frame drop. I'll have to get really caffineated and play again tonight.

Fourth Horseman
04-16-2004, 08:52 AM
I just got Unreal Tournament 2004, playing on a P4 2Ghz/512m/Raedon 9800 128m @ 1152X864X32bit - HOLEEE ****ZLE!

Remember the difference between Quake 2 and Quake 3? Same deal. Stunning graphics, not a frame drop. I'll have to get really caffineated and play again tonight.

Yeah, not only is that game way pretty, but it's suprisingly fast, as well. On my G4 PowerMac I can run it at my Cinema Display's native resolution of 1920x1200 and still maintain a playable frame rate. It drops into the high 20s on the big outdoor levels, but otherwise is still quite fast. Amazing.

MikesMerc
04-16-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm waiting for the ATI 420 based cards to come out before I decide what upgrade I might want to do if any.

Far Cry and Pain Killer are both great games. Very nice graphics. It takes some horsepower to run them with the eye candy cranked up at high resolutions, but its worth it if you can do it.

My current system is a P4 3.2 Extreme Edition overclocked and phase changed cooled to 4Ghz, 1 Gig of ram, 9800XT water cooled, and two 74G Raptors in RAID 0. Right now my system can run the newest DX9b games with buttery smoothness, so I may even skip over the first round and go for the fall vid card releases.

BTW, I also have BF1942 Vietnam and it rocks. I tend to disagree that it feels like a 1942 mod though. The AI is better, as is the entirely new engine that drives the game. The "action" is of course similar. But the dynamics are much improve.