PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Ford Falcon

Haggis
07-25-2014, 02:59 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a 1964 Ford Falcon. $5000 OBO. It is a running car, but has a 6cyl eng. Underneath is all rusted. I was thinking of offering $3000 as a start,

Good Deal?

Mr. Man
07-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Get under it and really look at just how rusty it is. Might be more trouble or costly to fix than you want to deal with. Unless it's a special edition Falcon they aren't that hard to come by.

martyo
07-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Pictures?

Interior condition?

When you look at it, look carefully at the floor boards and the windshield cowl area. Those are the trouble spots on these cars.

They are great cars.

Report back!!!!

kirk
07-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Pictures?

Interior condition?

When you look at it, look carefully at the floor boards and the windshield cowl area. Those are the trouble spots on these cars.

They are great cars.

Report back!!!!

What he said.

WhatsUpDOHC
07-25-2014, 03:53 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a 1964 Ford Falcon. $5000 OBO. It is a running car, but has a 6cyl eng. Underneath is all rusted. I was thinking of offering $3000 as a start,

Good Deal?
Are you mechanically inclined?

Let's see some pics.

Shaijack
07-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Offer them $1,000.00 to keep it. Sounds like trouble....Could offer them some Black Death

MarauderCyclone
07-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Buyer Beware....Falcon's , Mustangs and any of the 60's Intermediates can hide problems that will literally bankrupt the average guy if they aren't properly chosen.

I have two 1968 Torino GT's and a 1968 Mercury Cyclone and a 1972 Mach 1. Those cars took years to get....weeding through the garbage to get to something good to work with takes time , money and a lot of luck sometimes. Patience was something I learned in all this , thankfully at the expense of other would be car enthusiasts.

I would hate to think of how many cars I looked at before I bought my 1st Torino , The 2nd one was just a gift from heaven and the Cyclone was living proof that lightning can strike twice. I just had to do a lot of negotiating and driving to get it from out of state. Junk Torino's I can find...Cyclone's are an entirely different thing. Most of what you do see on Craig's List is junk regarding the Cyclone , if and when you see them to begin with. These cars by design and buying patterns of the 1960's Customers were NOT made to last. Anying other than the garage kept jewel is going to cost way beyond the initial purchase price....Bank On IT.

Even under what you would call optimum conditions , Gremlins can present themselves in a very rude and awakening way. Last month a co-worker posted a 1964 Falcon Based Ranchero for sale on the bulletin board. The car/truck was a so so 50 Footer...but in reality it was a basket case. If I'm going to build something starting out as only a VIN Plate and an Oil Stain , it's not going to be something as blah as that.

Cowl Areas , Torque Boxes can be costly.

5k sounds like a lot for a project car....just make dang sure it's more car than project to start with ...unless you are blessed with sheet metal skills , mechanical skills and a very liberal budget.

Good Luck....I hope you do a Resto-Mod and build a nice streetable Falcon V-8 Rally Car. Light Weight and some generous V-8 Pop to go along with it. Holman Moody built some real screamers back in those days. I always liked the V-8 Falcon Sprint. The 260 wasn't all that...but a nicely built 302 in it place can be a real hoss in that car , and nobody would be much the wiser unless you told them or they know casting numbers.

71cyclone
07-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Pictures?

Interior condition?

They are great cars.

Report back!!!!

Yes Sir , the 64 sprint is the car ,a one off beauty,- great car line overall .[ 2door , drop top, wagon ,etc ]

Bigdogjim
07-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Just buy it for a tax write off :lol:

CoreyM75
07-28-2014, 07:43 PM
If there already is rust showing, there is a metric ton of additional rust hiding where you can't see it. Pass on the car and find a rust free west coast car. The cost to fix rust on a falcon will out pace your wallet. Unless it's the first falcon made or Jimmy Hoffa is in the trunk, pass on the car.

Haggis
07-29-2014, 05:18 AM
I am not going to buy it. Thanks for all your help.

martyo
07-29-2014, 05:20 AM
I am not going to buy it. Thanks for all your help.

Sissy!!!!

Mr. Man
07-29-2014, 05:21 AM
Good choice on the pass. I see you driving a hollowed out log with stone wheels anyways :P

MarauderCyclone
07-31-2014, 02:46 AM
Good choice on the pass. I see you driving a hollowed out log with stone wheels anyways :P

It'll damn sure have fewer corrosion issues. :burnout:

fastblackmerc
07-31-2014, 04:12 AM
It'll damn sure have fewer corrosion issues. :burnout:

Until the termites find it.

MarauderCyclone
07-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Until the termites find it.

Termites are preventable to a high degree.....Rust Never Sleeps.