PDA

View Full Version : 98 mustang gt, knocking/ticking.

Chayton
08-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Hey guys!

havent posted in a while as ive been super busy working. Couple months ago I got hired as a dealership photographer! exciting, but thats a different story. Reason im posting is recently my friend bought a 98 mustang gt. Long story short, the previous owner failed to mention to him that it burned oil, and/or had barely any oil in it. When he got the car he checked the oil and added 4 quarts. Last night it developed a knock. This was after he had been getting on it. Immediately stopped driving the car and checked the oil. There was barely a drop. He was 5 quarts low. :shake: put 5 quarts in, and while the knock is gone, there is a significant tick after 2000RPM. How :censor: is he? best case scenario/worst? Really sucks because hes been going through alot of crap lately and this kinda tops it all, Hes really beating himself up over it. What are his options? Thanks.

RF Overlord
08-08-2014, 12:49 PM
It sounds like he bought a lemon. He should probably refrain from beating on it.

A leakdown test will tell if it's got upper end or lower end issues. Bad valve seals aren't too bad to replace, but if it's got broken ring lands or some such, then he should prolly look at finding another motor unless he has Zack-level skills.

Chayton
08-08-2014, 01:01 PM
It sounds like he bought a lemon. He should probably refrain from beating on it.

A leakdown test will tell if it's got upper end or lower end issues. Bad valve seals aren't too bad to replace, but if it's got broken ring lands or some such, then he should prolly look at finding another motor unless he has Zack-level skills.

Yeah I told him not to beat on it till he gets it diagnosed. Any idea what a shop would charge labor wise to test that?

RF Overlord
08-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Sorry, I don't...I do those kinds of things myself. Shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 at the most, so it depends on the labour rate in your buddy's area.

Chayton
08-08-2014, 07:32 PM
its looking like rod bearing...not good. Anyone got an extra 2V lying around? haha

RF Overlord
08-08-2014, 07:45 PM
its looking like rod bearing...That can happen when you run it out of oil...twice.

Marauderjack
08-09-2014, 02:22 AM
If it lost 5 quarts of oil in a short period of time he's got more than a knockin' rod bearing to worry about!!:eek:

It either leaks like crazy or smokes like it's on fire.....maybe both!!??:confused:

Chayton
08-09-2014, 01:50 PM
If it lost 5 quarts of oil in a short period of time he's got more than a knockin' rod bearing to worry about!!:eek:

It either leaks like crazy or smokes like it's on fire.....maybe both!!??:confused:

in 6 thousand miles it lost 5 quarts.... either way its toast haha. On the bright side hes going with a PI 4.6 and some other goodies.

RF Overlord
08-09-2014, 01:57 PM
He drove an unknown car 6,000 miles and never checked the oil once? Boy's a fool to hisself... :shake:

Chayton
08-10-2014, 01:56 AM
He drove an unknown car 6,000 miles and never checked the oil once? Boy's a fool to hisself... :shake:

actually he checked it and so did I on a few occasions. When he first got it it seemed low. Added 4 quarts and nothing showed on the dipstick, which should have been his first warning sign. Either way, it burned it fast and he probably should have checked it more. Unfortunately I cant maintain his car along with 2 of my own 24/7. Sucky situation for him. Cant do much but SMH :shake:

Marauderjack
08-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Sounds like he hasn't a clue and shouldn't even own a car!!:shake:

How hard is it to check the oil weekly, especially when he knew it was so far down once??:confused:

Chayton
08-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Sounds like he hasn't a clue and shouldn't even own a car!!:shake:

How hard is it to check the oil weekly, especially when he knew it was so far down once??:confused:

he deserves nothing!!!