PDA

View Full Version : Grill light install with pictures

cobrakid
08-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Ok I will not be showing everything because I don't want to tear apart the interior again but you would be able to get it. Hopefully

First we got the light off ebay for about 7 bucks including shipping it was a flexible blue led strip with 24 LEDs is came with about a foot of wire already attached we got some random wire not sure what size. We attached it with zip ties to a brace of some sort right under the grill and faced it toward the radiator.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/vuhy2a3u.jpg

We got a simple toggle switch to mount under the steering column we also had a fuze laying around which is highly recommended.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/hyvyrymu.jpg

You have to thread the wire through a grommet near where the floor pan meets the firewall behind the brake petal a coat ganger works best with a hook on one end. I could not get any pictures. for one I did not want to tear into the interior again and you have to feel for the grommet anyway if you don't want to peel back allot of the rug and insulation. it will come out near the bottom of the inner fender well. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/adetehy5.jpg

We attached the wires to the battery with a connecter that I don't know the proper name for.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/qa9ase2u.jpg

If there are any other details that you would like to know let me know and I might be able to fill in some blanks

cobrakid
08-10-2014, 07:48 PM
The finished product http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/ugapaja5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/raja3y2u.jpg

Spectragod
08-10-2014, 07:53 PM
A couple of things.......

Blue, while pretty, will get you pulled over, and most likely ticketed.

The fuse for the switch needs to be at your power source, i.e. the battery, not at the switch.

Use a black wire for ground, makes troubleshooting much easier later on down the road.

Not nit picking, just don't want a fellow Marauder owner in trouble with the law, or their car burnt to the ground.

cobrakid
08-10-2014, 07:59 PM

The fuse for the switch needs to be at your power source, i.e. the battery, not at the switch.

Use a black wire for ground, makes troubleshooting much easier later on down the road.

Not nit picking, just don't want a fellow Marauder owner in trouble with the law, or their car burnt to the ground.

We are well aware that I will get you thrown in jail for impersonation and it is only used for shows it also has more of a purple tinge to it. That wire it is on goes straight to the battery wouldn't that be fine?

RubberCtyRauder
08-10-2014, 08:05 PM
And some green corrosion on the + battery side and some loose ring terminals. Just helping stop any potential electrical issues .

Spectragod
08-10-2014, 08:18 PM
We are well aware that I will get you thrown in jail for impersonation and it is only used for shows it also has more of a purple tinge to it. That wire it is on goes straight to the battery wouldn't that be fine?

The law will vary from state to state, and, if someone decides that after seeing your blue/purple lights at a show, decides to call the police, or if a LEO is at the show, and then sees your car out, they very well may possibly stop you. Sometimes it is best not to make yourself a target for such actions, just sayin'.

Here in Ohio, purple is reserved for funeral home service, use that color and it's good for a stop, Blue is used for police, same result as purple. And, it doesn't have to be turned on, only has to be able to be activated when the vehicle is in motion. But, that is Ohio, your state may be more lax than here.

As far as the power wire..... if that wire shorts out to ground between the battery and the fuse holder, guess what will happen...... fire, if the fuse is at the battery and the power wire shorts out, it will blow the fuse and no fire will ensue. Of course, feel free to do as you please. I just wanted to offer some advice.

cobrakid
08-10-2014, 08:22 PM
The law will vary from state to state, and, if someone decides that after seeing your blue/purple lights at a show, decides to call the police, or if a LEO is at the show, and then sees your car out, they very well may possibly stop you. Sometimes it is best not to make yourself a target for such actions, just sayin'.

Here in Ohio, purple is reserved for funeral home service, use that color and it's good for a stop, Blue is used for police, same result as purple. And, it doesn't have to be turned on, only has to be able to be activated when the vehicle is in motion. But, that is Ohio, your state may be more lax than here.

As far as the power wire..... if that wire shorts out to ground between the battery and the fuse holder, guess what will happen...... fire, if the fuse is at the battery and the power wire shorts out, it will blow the fuse and no fire will ensue. Of course, feel free to do as you please. I just wanted to offer some advice.

Thank you for letting me know I will have to be more careful and might have to move the fuse.

Zack
08-10-2014, 08:52 PM
That looks awful

massacre
08-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Did Technoweenie move to Maine? From the pickup it looks like one of Devkonk's buddies

jwibbity
08-11-2014, 05:40 AM
From what I experienced Ohio laws are pretty lax in the cleveland area at least. I had blue underbody lights and an emblem that that was blue then turned red when you hit the brakes and I drove past plenty of cops and never once got pulled over.

I'm remember reading somewhere that as long as the lights are not flashing while the car is in motion then you are good.

Looks good cobrakid!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOO to ZACK!!!!!:flamer:

Blackened300a
08-11-2014, 06:02 AM
I've seen similar setups at local meets, but I like to make people remember and talk about my car after they see it.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/8A475597-DF35-49B6-B7AB-E47D86352118_zpsirzvck2y.jpg

MOTOWN
08-11-2014, 06:08 AM

Exactly what I thought when I looked at the pics! would have to see it in person to give an honest opinion.

lji372
08-11-2014, 06:52 AM
i would never want to give law enforcement a reason to pull me over. just my opinion....

crownvic05
08-11-2014, 07:06 AM
I've seen similar setups at local meets, but I like to make people remember and talk about my car after they see it.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/8A475597-DF35-49B6-B7AB-E47D86352118_zpsirzvck2y.jpg

Very nice. Whats that set up you have for the engine lighting? How is it holding up with the heat?

Blackened300a
08-11-2014, 07:28 AM
I've had the kit installed for over 3yrs now and no heat issues at all. None of the pods deformed or melted and the harness is the same as when I installed it. The heat probably helps the pods stay on because I haven't had one fall off or move.

Spectragod
08-11-2014, 07:34 AM
From what I experienced Ohio laws are pretty lax in the cleveland area at least. I had blue underbody lights and an emblem that that was blue then turned red when you hit the brakes and I drove past plenty of cops and never once got pulled over.

I'm remember reading somewhere that as long as the lights are not flashing while the car is in motion then you are good.

Looks good cobrakid!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOO to ZACK!!!!!:flamer:

That law has changed, for this very reason, the car cannot be equipped as it reads now......

I would have stopped you for the lights changing colors, if for nothing else a FI, and to make it aware to other departments...... we all talk to each other, unless your ATF, DEA or FBI, then they don't tell you squat.

jwibbity
08-11-2014, 08:41 AM
come on guys, its not like the OP is going to be driving around with the lights on, its obviously a show thing.

Spectragod I have never heard of them being able to stop you for having it hooked up but off, if that was the case every ricer with the aftermarket strobes and flashing lights at car shows would be ticketed....

Spectragod
08-11-2014, 11:36 AM
come on guys, its not like the OP is going to be driving around with the lights on, its obviously a show thing.

Spectragod I have never heard of them being able to stop you for having it hooked up but off, if that was the case every ricer with the aftermarket strobes and flashing lights at car shows would be ticketed....

All LE needs is a complaint saying someone saw them on or personal knowledge that the vehicle is equipped. Do what you want, I was only offering a opinion. But I'll lmao when the next post starts with " I got pulled over".

Also, because you never heard of it is not sound legal advice, just sayin'.

Bigdogjim
08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Why invite trouble?

cobrakid
08-11-2014, 11:54 AM
That law has changed, for this very reason, the car cannot be equipped as it reads now......

I would have stopped you for the lights changing colors, if for nothing else a FI, and to make it aware to other departments...... we all talk to each other, unless your ATF, DEA or FBI, then they don't tell you squat.

What about TSA

jwibbity
08-11-2014, 12:03 PM
All LE needs is a complaint saying someone saw them on or personal knowledge that the vehicle is equipped. Do what you want, I was only offering a opinion. But I'll lmao when the next post starts with " I got pulled over".

Also, because you never heard of it is not sound legal advice, just sayin'.

So if I'm understanding this correctly if I go to a car show in Ohio and report the cars there for having illegal lights (strobes, underbody, etc.) even though they weren't driving when I saw the lights, technically they can still get tickets from the the local law enforcement??

:confused::confused:

tmwlch1
08-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Be careful in New York also. Living in Ohio now but was a LEO in Saratoga county in NY. NY V&T Says white or amber facing front and red or amber facing rear, any other color and they can ticket you. One Sargent I worked with would even stop tractor trailers and make them change the colored side lights. Also in NY if you have the shaded light covers and you get in a accident after dark your insurance company does not have to cover the accident.

champ1173
08-11-2014, 03:22 PM

I gotta say, I really like the Gods head shining in front. Looks bad ass!

Spectragod
08-11-2014, 05:29 PM
So if I'm understanding this correctly if I go to a car show in Ohio and report the cars there for having illegal lights (strobes, underbody, etc.) even though they weren't driving when I saw the lights, technically they can still get tickets from the the local law enforcement??

:confused::confused:

It sounds like you have an axe to grind........

If a citizen reports a parked car with lights strobes etc., nothing will probably happen, if the same citizen reports that same car driving on the roadway with them on, there would be a better chance of police involvement.

Now, it is completely different if a LEO witness's some stupid antics and reports it, it has weight with the court system as we have arrest powers, if you really want legal advice, contact an attorney, they will tell you what you can and can't do, usually 100-150 and hour for that advice though.

But really, why would you want to invite the chance of getting stopped? I have a buddy that stops cars with 8k-10k blue HID lights on them, if they can't fix it right there, he tows and impounds them, the price of looking cool will get you jammed up in a lot of jurisdictions.

jwibbity
08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
It sounds like you have an axe to grind........

If a citizen reports a parked car with lights strobes etc., nothing will probably happen, if the same citizen reports that same car driving on the roadway with them on, there would be a better chance of police involvement.

Now, it is completely different if a LEO witness's some stupid antics and reports it, it has weight with the court system as we have arrest powers, if you really want legal advice, contact an attorney, they will tell you what you can and can't do, usually 100-150 and hour for that advice though.

But really, why would you want to invite the chance of getting stopped? I have a buddy that stops cars with 8k-10k blue HID lights on them, if they can't fix it right there, he tows and impounds them, the price of looking cool will get you jammed up in a lot of jurisdictions.

I just dont get why everybody is jumping all over the thread saying cop this, LEO that, when the OP obviously knows using this while driving is illegal. Even if I had a million LED's all over my car, I'm not "inviting" cops to stop me or attracting attention to myself. Now if I have them flashing all types of colors and distracting other drivers on the road now that's a different story.

No hard feelings to anybody just wanted clarification for myself and possibly the OP. I plan on doing this also to my car (in red) but I didn't want either myself or the OP getting pulled over for illegal lights that we weren't using.

Spectragod
08-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Let me help you out with the Ohio Revised code........

Link........ http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501:2-1-09

4501:2-1-09 Motor vehicle equipment standards for lighting.

Sections (C) & (I)

Period, end of story, want to press your luck, go ahead.

cat in the hat
08-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Well then, Ohio is certainly full of spoil-sports . . . :hide:

;)

Spectragod
08-12-2014, 04:02 AM

;)

And I guess the collective that was defending this crap didn't know as much as they thought they did. Where's the witty responses on how no one is acting like a LEO, impersonating was never brought up by anyone but those defending having blue lights on their cars.

jwibbity
08-15-2014, 07:29 PM
And I guess the collective that was defending this crap didn't know as much as they thought they did. Where's the witty responses on how no one is acting like a LEO, impersonating was never brought up by anyone but those defending having blue lights on their cars.

No you just made it seem like the lights were a magnet for cops when in fact the car presents no more attention than another marauder without the light.

as long as its off while driving....

cat in the hat
08-15-2014, 07:59 PM

;)

Hey, you'll never hear me question something like this - there are so many motor vehicle regulations, you can pull over any car on the street if you follow it for two minutes.

Ms. Denmark
08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Nice to see you and dad trying something new with the car, Forrest, and I like purple! :cool:

Spectragod
08-15-2014, 10:06 PM
No you just made it seem like the lights were a magnet for cops when in fact the car presents no more attention than another marauder without the light.

as long as its off while driving....

Yep your right, you have learned more about Ohio law and life than I ever will. Fwiw, the last 2 days at Woodward we have seen plenty of show cars, driving up the road with their grill and underbody lights on that are only for shows.

The op can do what he wants, his car, his life, his choice. I only advised him of the law within the state that he resides, I really don't care one way or the other.

STEPS
08-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Blue is going to cost you time and money.
just my opinion

Ms. Denmark
08-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Spectragod
08-16-2014, 06:19 PM
It's purple, Steve...:D Just saw CobraKid up in New Hampshire at the Budweiser Car Show, but his dad couldn't make it with the Marauder. Would like to see this in person.

Post #1 the OP says they are blue, they look blue to me, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck........ It's probably a duck.

lji372
08-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Shut the duck up!

:lol:

Haha carry on

Oh blue for TMFW!

:run:

cobrakid
08-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Nice to see you and dad trying something new with the car, Forrest, and I like purple! :cool:

This was on the car in Carlisle but we never got to turn it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STEPS
08-17-2014, 07:30 PM
purple is cool

a_d_a_m
08-18-2014, 12:26 AM
The finished product http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/ugapaja5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/raja3y2u.jpg

Domestic rice.

Mr. Man
08-18-2014, 02:25 AM
This was on the car in Carlisle but we never got to turn it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk There's always next year. :cool: