PDA

View Full Version : Retitling a vehicle?

License2Bill
08-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Hey everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has ever had to retitle/reapply for a title after the original is lost or damaged? I was browsing local Craigslist ads and happened upon the same make and model of motorcycle I've been after for quite some time. The issue being that the individual currently in possession of the bike does not have a title. He has the keys and the release papers from the auction. I've read situations where people register bikes out of state, such as Vermont in many cases and transfer it to their home states. Vermont doesn't require titles for bikes over 15 years old and under 500cc. This particular model is from 1986 but over 500 cc, from my understanding it will need to be VIN verified before I can pursue it.

I've done a bit of searching and it does appear to be possible, but still I am leery of it. Anybody have any experience in this department? (Titling/registering without prior title in hand)

TIA
-Bill

sailsmen
08-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Yes, I had to go a the State Police Office, sign some papers, and they gave me a punch set to punch a new vin # they assigned for title purposes.
But this was before the internet when reality was something you could wrap your hand around.

EMAS
08-19-2014, 04:10 PM
If the person has the paper work from buying it at a tow/impound vehicle auction you can go to the DMV and register it w/o an issue. You'll want to get a bill of sale from the person who's name is on that paper work. If the guy you are buying it from is not the person who's name is on the paper work then you might have a problem if you show up with a bill of sale with a name and signature that does not match the auction sale paper work.

Now if it is a lien sale, like a storage auction then you may be fine with that paper work or not, depends on the rules and regulations in your state and if the entity that sold it at auction is authorized to do a lien sale of a vehicle.

MyTMerc
08-19-2014, 05:45 PM
http://www.dmv.org/salvaged-vehicles.php

This site may help answer your question for your state.