PDA

View Full Version : Not your typical gas gauge issue... *confused

Motorhead350
09-15-2014, 01:34 PM
My gas gauge in my van has given me an issue and I did research before posting up.

Last time it was completely filled, the gauge would not drop below full. At times it would drop 1/8th or 1/4, but now it's full all the time EXCEPT upon start up. It will sit off with 3/4 reading (when turned off) and upon start up the gauge will drop to an actual reading... I think. It went from 3/4 to 5/8ths and as I have been driving it and the gas is being used up, the gauge keeps dropping upon start up. As if I can do a quick check for the actual reading when I start it.

I looked under for it for lose wires and could not find ANY wires. I think the fuel pump and the wiring for the fuel reading are above the tank and will need to drop if I need to replace anything.

It seems like it's a lose wire and it only reads properly before the fuel pump fully kicks on. If this is the case, I do not care and am fine with start up as my fuel check, but could it be more serious than this. Could the fuel pump be next as far as having an electrical issue?

Why would it only work upon start up? IF this is "working"?

Once running it will go back to full, while it's turning over for start up, it will drop to what I believe is an accurate reading.

Thanks in advance!

Motorhead350
09-16-2014, 10:27 AM
If anyone knows what is going on please chime in. I posted this days ago on www.ford-truck.com and got one useless answer.

I did some research and it seems like the issue is the receiver. The gauge still goes up and down upon start up and running. If the gauge was bad I do not think it would move at all. If it was an electric issue it would be stuck on full. So that rules out the gauge and a bad ground. The receiver going bad seems to be the only answer and might simply need to be cleaned.

Does this make sense to anyone?

whitey
09-16-2014, 12:16 PM
The receiver for the gas gauge is bad. It receives an electronic signal from the float, translates it into what the gauge should read. Where its at? I haven't got a clue. Thats what im getting from the response.

Motorhead350
09-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks man!

Looks like I have to remove the tank to fix this. It doesn't seem bad, but these straps are something else.

fastblackmerc
09-16-2014, 01:40 PM
If anyone knows what is going on please chime in. I posted this days ago on www.ford-truck.com and got one useless answer.

I did some research and it seems like the issue is the receiver. The gauge still goes up and down upon start up and running. If the gauge was bad I do not think it would move at all. If it was an electric issue it would be stuck on full. So that rules out the gauge and a bad ground. The receiver going bad seems to be the only answer and might simply need to be cleaned.

Does this make sense to anyone?

The receiver for the gas gauge is bad. It receives an electronic signal from the float, translates it into what the gauge should read. Where its at? I haven't got a clue. Thats what im getting from the response.

The "receiver" is the gauge. The "sender", which is in the tank, translates the movement of the float to electrical impulses via a rheostat that make the gauge needle go up and down when the float goes up and down.

fastblackmerc
09-16-2014, 01:45 PM
First check the connections at the tank, make sure none are broken or disconnected. If they are fix them.

If that still doesn't work, then get the tank as near to empty as you can in case you need to drop the tank. Once you get the sender out you can move the float while watching the gauge, if it doesn't move you need to replace the "sending unit".

MAKE SURE THERE IS NO OPEN FLAME OR ANY OTHER IGNITION SOURCE NEAR THE TANK IF YOU NEED TO TAKE IT DOWN......... INCLUDING A TROUBLE LIGHT!

fastblackmerc
09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Can probably get a new sender from Rock Auto.

Motorhead350
09-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks Jim.

Your stuff ships out tomorrow btw.