PDA

View Full Version : Aint none of y'all put a 6.2 in a Marauder?

SIZEMOREMK
09-17-2014, 06:15 PM
The frustration of riding in my buddies modded 04 GTO is starting to give me some crazy ideas. Our HP numbers are with 75-50 HP or so, but the torque and weight a far apart. That LS is something to get jealous about.

I am curious why there has been no discussion, or none that I could find, of fitting a 6.2 from a raptor or SuperDuty in a marauder?

Seems like a 6.2 with a whipple or even a centri would have plenty of tourque to get this barge moving.

Anyone have any notes on the physical dimensions of the 6.2? Or know what kind of tranny/bolt pattern they have?

I see some pretty decent deals on the 6.2 with a quick look at ebay...

jnobles06
09-17-2014, 06:34 PM
sounds way more expensive and way more trouble than it's worth. you could save some money and build the 4.6L. if you're really wanting a 6.2, i would buy a nice used crown vic with engine problems and go from there, and not molest a rare car like a marauder. if you are really wanting to do this swap; i definitely wouldn't buy a used 6.2 unless i was going to get it rebuilt. most of those came out of work trucks and fleet trucks, which means that they were dogged out and probably not maintained well, hence the reason they are on ebay. not to mention all the wiring/ ecu headaches, motor mount, hood clearance, transmission bolt pattern issues you might encounter in this swap

a nice stall converter and 3.73 gears would probably would probably make up most if not all of the difference between you and your buddies car and you wouldn't even have to yank the motor.

03 mach 1 (same engine as the marauder) picked up 30whp on a stock engine by just running e85 with a custom tune.

massacre
09-17-2014, 06:56 PM
4.6 will make over 1000 RWHP that should be plenty?

Logizyme
09-17-2014, 07:08 PM
6.2 is a garbage motor. A step in the wrong direction for Ford. You'd be better off with a 6.8L Modular V10.

If your jealous of the LS then swap in an LS - if I was not such a Ford guy I'd do it myself - honestly its easier to build power with than the Modular.

jwibbity
09-17-2014, 07:11 PM
The frustration of riding in my buddies modded 04 GTO is starting to give me some crazy ideas. Our HP numbers are with 25-50 HP or so, but the torque and weight a far apart. That LS is something to get jealous about.

I am curious why there has been no discussion, or none that I could find, of fitting a 6.2 from a raptor or SuperDuty in a marauder?

Seems like a 6.2 with a whipple or even a centri would have plenty of tourque to get this barge moving.

Anyone have any notes on the physical dimensions of the 6.2? Or know what kind of tranny/bolt pattern they have?

for the cost of all the fab work, custom brackets, engine, labor and whatever else custom **** you need, you can buy a built 4.6 with a power adder that can make as much HP as you want.....

88CuttyClassic
09-17-2014, 07:21 PM
LS motor are fast but everyone and their mother is using them. Ur buddies GTO also looks like a grandprix. Lame! Just enjoy the marauder because they arent everywhere!! Im NOT ...NOT a ford guy but i had to have the marauder.

SIZEMOREMK
09-17-2014, 07:24 PM
I get you on the stall converter, mine is still stock but I do have 4.10s. This thing just feels slow to me from a dead stop or even a slow roll. Converter is the next thing I'm doing, but the wife's mustang is taking all my time and money in the short term. I will then be focused on doing some upgrades to the Marauder. Just thinking out loud on what I will end up doing.

I did already have it in my head that If I end up doing anything too off the wall, a worn out cop car is likely to be the guinea pig.

4.6, even stroked to 5.0 just don't compare with the LS. Show me a 4.6 making 500/500 HP/TQ to the ground without insane boost levels and alky injection and aint runing the ragged edge.

The whipple'd 6.2 seem to be getting that and more with very conservative boost numbers, with a pretty flat torque curve that comes on low in the band.

The most impressive vehicle I've ridden in have always had some displacement.

I'm really surprised that this hasn't been hashed out a few times here already.

sailsmen
09-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Th MM engine yields high power with a S/C.

I have a Vortech "T" trim and WOT under ~40mph on the street hits the rev limiter.

lji372
09-17-2014, 07:29 PM
I get you on the stall converter, mine is still stock but I do have 4.10s. This thing just feels slow to me from a dead stop or even a slow roll. Converter is the next thing I'm doing, but the wife's mustang is taking all my time and money in the short term. I will then be focused on doing some upgrades to the Marauder. Just thinking out loud on what I will end up doing.

I did already have it in my head that If I end up doing anything too off the wall, a worn out cop car is likely to be the guinea pig.

4.6, even stroked to 5.0 just don't compare with the LS. Show me a 4.6 making 500/500 HP/TQ to the ground without insane boost levels and alky injection and aint runing the ragged edge.

The whipple'd 6.2 seem to be getting that and more with very conservative boost numbers, with a pretty flat torque curve that comes on low in the band.

The most impressive vehicle I've ridden in have always had some displacement.

I'm really surprised that this hasn't been hashed out a few times here already.

Define insane boost?

SIZEMOREMK
09-17-2014, 07:37 PM
6.2 is a garbage motor. A step in the wrong direction for Ford. You'd be better off with a 6.8L Modular V10.

If your jealous of the LS then swap in an LS - if I was not such a Ford guy I'd do it myself - honestly its easier to build power with than the Modular.

6.2 junk motor? Just curious what detail you may have? I only know a few folks with Raptors, and they seem to love em.

I'm a Ford guy as well, but can't really explain why anymore... I don't think I could bring myself to go with an LS. I hate that the thought has even entered my mind.

Seriously though, I am quite interested in what issues there are with the 6.2?

I've really been hoping that Ford might come up with something to compete with this new 700HP hellcat. Its gonna take alot more than 300 cubes to do it. Of course that would only happen if they decided it would increase sales.

jnobles06
09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
6.2 junk motor? Just curious what detail you may have? I only know a few folks with Raptors, and they seem to love em.

I'm a Ford guy as well, but can't really explain why anymore... I don't think I could bring myself to go with an LS. I hate that the thought has ever entered my mind.

Seriously though, I am quite interested in what issues there are with the 6.2?

I've really been hoping that Ford might come up with something to compete with this new 700HP hellcat. Its gonna take alot more than 300 cubes to do it. Of course that would only happen if they decided it would increase sales.

yeah it always boggled my mind why someone would buy a ford and put in a different make motor. i really hate seeing all the old 30's fords with chevy motors. its sacrilege! lol.

i just spent $3.5k on building my 4.6 and that is with forged rods/ 11:1 flat top pistons, stock crank turned, rotating assembly balanced, valve job on the heads, 98 cobra intake cams (degreed), all new gaskets, new hardware, and all new timing gear. **** adds up quick, about $1.25K of that was just in machine work and assembly.

i will be running e85. so with the cam's and the compression, bump, combined with e85 i am hoping to make at least 60-75hp over stock. great thing about it is the engine bay will still look bone stock since the car has no bolt-ons, and the engine is built so i can add some spray with no worries. its going to be a sleeper.

jnobles06
09-17-2014, 08:05 PM
plus you might want to stay with a smaller high revving v8 since you are running the auto with 4.10's. whats your top speed right now with 4.10 and the 4r70w, like 130?

MOTOWN
09-17-2014, 08:10 PM
The frustration of riding in my buddies modded 04 GTO is starting to give me some crazy ideas. Our HP numbers are with 25-50 HP or so, but the torque and weight a far apart. That LS is something to get jealous about.

How much powaa do you really need:confused: the mod motors make great power especially considering its only a 281ci motor.

sailsmen
09-17-2014, 08:17 PM
541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
Kooks Headers & X Pipe
GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
Art Carr Built Trans , Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87
300A, Build 2002, 78 of 7839

95,000 Miles - Ford Cobra Reman
180,000 Miles & 300+ Runs Down the 1,320’
1.667 7.360@92.70 11.542@121.19
Top Speed 160+MPH
Out ran 1 day at the track;
Mustang Cobra Convertible – 12.47
Mustang Coyote – 12.03
Chevelle 454 – 11.67
Corvette – 11.975
Corvette Z06 – 12.48*
Camaro SS – 11.87
Corvette – 11.57.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90621

sailsmen
09-17-2014, 08:21 PM
There is a street Marauder with 800RWHP and a full cage for sale. Might get it for ~$25K!

88CuttyClassic
09-17-2014, 08:57 PM
My buddy just built a 88 notch fox with a TT 6.0 LS... 8.6 @163 on the 2nd set of shakedown runs. 25k total investment. And its street driven. I think they are around 24lbs of boost

SIZEMOREMK
09-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Define insane boost?

Well, more than 12-15 lbs is getting on up there. Seems like it takes 18ish lbs+ to get 600 to the wheels with these motors.... But usually with a lower torque number that doesn't even start to come up until 3-4K.

I'm jealous of the cubes, not the bowtie.

For example, my buddies N/A LS whatever stroked to 416 or something along in there... Motor was built and cammed for screw blower by the guy that built it but never put a blower on it before my buddy bought it. I was there at the dyno (Mustang dyno) when it put down just over 450/450 HP/TQ with a very flat torque curve. That car is in a completely different league than mine.

My Marauder put down 424 and 367 (dynojet) with 12lbs centri.

Another buddy has an LS1 with a healthy cam being the only mod to the motor (still using cast iron manifolds) in his 78 vette. He hasn't dyno'd the car, but it feels a good bit stronger than my Marauder, particularly in the low end.

I know both cars are way lighter and I have a crappy stock converter, but its kinda disappointing that even with 12lbs of boost, my 4.6 is way behind the power curve.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Realistically, it sounds like you need a roots style blower to get the feel you are looking for. Positive displacement forced induction helps get a heavy car like the marauder moving at lower engine speeds with the small 281.

Loco1234
09-17-2014, 09:36 PM
remember BOOST is only 1 part of the equation for total intake air... U can run a larger centri such as a JT-trim or YSI-trim at a lower boost but it supplies far more total CFM...
& total CFM is the truely important factor... not boost. & less boost means less heat into intake system...

take the stock motor rebuild it to 5.0L & put a JT-trim on it... with the fuel mods needs to produce 600+ rwhp & 600+rwTq because you will make that...

& it's alot simpler to accomplish this in the marauder in this manner then putting motors in it that aren't design'd for car...

Oh & when 600RW hp & TQ isnt enough... simply change ur pulley & increase the boost... now u @ 700+rwHP &TQ... THIS IS FACT...

MOTOWN
09-17-2014, 09:38 PM
remember BOOST is only 1 part of the equation for total intake air... U can run a larger centri such as a JT-trim or YSI-trim at a lower boost but it supplies far more total CFM...
& total CFM is the truely important factor... not boost. & less boost means less heat into intake system...

take the stock motor rebuild it to 5.0L & put a JT-trim on it... with the fuel mods needs to produce 600+ rwhp & 600+rwTq because you will make that...

& it's alot simpler to accomplish this in the marauder in this manner then putting motors in it that aren't design'd for car...

Oh & when 600RW hp & TQ isnt enough... simply change ur pulley & increase the boost... now u @ 700+rwHP &TQ... THIS IS FACT...

MVP post right here!:bows:

RubberCtyRauder
09-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Here's my dyno with on a roots blower. PSI is up to maybe 15 max, not all the time. I have torque right from the getgo and freshly tuned in June of this year. It has 455 rwhp and 442TQ. And ask Marty O how well he likes how this car drives. He knows, he drove it and wanted me to stall to come get it cause he really liked it. And we tuned it down a slight notch as I didnt want a car on the edge of the tune capacity, fuel needs, injector duty cycle etc. I was told they had it up to 470 rwhp. I'm happy where it is at. Maybe you need a ride in Zack's turbo Marauder, or Justbob's 6 speed marauder, Or Chris's Whipple Marauder or....

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu92/mdnos/dyno_zps8a4e728c.png

massacre
09-17-2014, 11:37 PM
World's fastest Marauder is BBC powered, just throwing that out there.

lji372
09-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Go roots-
I currently have a ported blower-added headers-stock rear end
413hp 9.5lbs will probably go down a pulley here shortly and feel completely safe.

Sounds way easier that a swap imho

Not saying a Chevy motor isn't good. Just saying there's an easier way to achieve your goal.

TooManyFords
09-18-2014, 05:43 AM

I think you're confused what the term "boost" really is. When you read a boost gauge, it is only measuring the pressure of an inefficient intake system. This is a result of the other variables, not an actual variable itself. Simply put, it is the measure of what you cannot force into the cylinders at any given time.

CFM, now that is one of the variables.

sailsmen
09-18-2014, 05:43 AM
I don't know why you think ~18psi is "insane"?

I have a DD with ~18psi that is occasionally driven by other family members including one when learning how to drive, albeit in a parking lot.

I have driven it daily putting 85K with the current set up getting better mpg than the Honda Pilot.

I beat stock Z06s and ZL1s at the track.

Old Myths from the days of carburetors, points and vacuum controlled trans are still around.

sailsmen
09-18-2014, 05:50 AM
.....................I was there at the dyno (Mustang dyno) when it put down just over 450/450 HP/TQ with a very flat torque curve. That car is in a completely different league than mine.

My Marauder put down 424 and 367 (dynojet) with 12lbs centri.

................. but its kinda disappointing that even with 12lbs of boost, my 4.6 is way behind the power curve.

The typical Mustang Dyno, unlike DynoJet, has numerous operator adjustments that can yield almost any result he wants.

Assuming you are IC your 424 and 367 is very low. Get another tuner. At 10 psi I was 447/379.

MMBLUE
09-18-2014, 06:13 AM

He already has a MMR 600 in it.

The best way you can get to where you want to be Mike is; JT trim, bigger injectors, stall and pulley. If you do those few things, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Remember, you already have the centri setup. Buy a new/used rebuilt blower and sell the one you have. Lots of demand for a NOVI 1200.

Limited360
09-18-2014, 07:51 AM
Go roots-
I currently have a ported blower-added headers-stock rear end
413hp 9.5lbs will probably go down a pulley here shortly and feel completely safe.

Sounds way easier that a swap imho

Not saying a Chevy motor isn't good. Just saying there's an easier way to achieve your goal.

hmmm more boost... I thought we talked about this! :violin:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10574463_10152165990521784_192 748287232569628_n.jpg?oh=f5836 eeabd78e8132eaebd8a9a530388&oe=54C80A4E&__gda__=1418406769_b14c46ce56a 244bad907fa9a73f45373

SIZEMOREMK
09-18-2014, 08:08 AM
I appreciate all the inputs, I have owned roots and centri, even turbos if ecoboost really counts. I have not owned large displacement. I know there are tons ways to cram extra air in a 4.6.

I'm investigatig the displacement option at this point. If I'm going to end up spending 15-20K to get a 4.6 and the rest of the car to reliably handle ~20lbs of screw blower... Might as well investigate the feasibility of significant increase in displacement.

So I'd like to direct the discussion back towards the 6.2 questions I had in the beginning. Does anyone have any input on the 6.2 or its demensions, tranny options? Or details of what makes it a junk motor?

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Sorry I don't have anything to add to your question on the Ford 6.2 but for all the effort, might be worth just getting a Pontiac G8 and leave the work you've done on the Marauder be. G8s look good, almost as rare as a marauder, and come with the 6.0 or 6.2...there are even some manuals out there if you're lucky to find one.

I would mention the new SS but they're almost $50k.

SIZEMOREMK
09-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Sorry I don't have anything to add to your question on the Ford 6.2 but for all the effort, might be worth just getting a Pontiac G8 and leave the work you've done on the Marauder be. G8s look good, almost as rare as a marauder, and come with the 6.0 or 6.2...there are even some manuals out there if you're lucky to find one.

I would mention the new SS but they're almost $50k.

I agree with 88CuttyClassic, those newer GTOs (and I'll include G8s) look like Grand AMs...

In fact I call my buddies GTO a sport compact, but that only invites more ridicule about my lack of torque :bigcry:

The Marauder is the right car for me, no question. Before this, I actually had the 03 CV "Sport" with interior very simmilar to the MM. Should have kept that one for a spare like I had kinda planned. But a really nice 66 F100 came available from an old lady that needed a reliable vehicle, so we traded CV for F100. The F100 will be my sons first vehicle.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-18-2014, 10:06 AM
I know what you mean they all have that pontiac look, but its subjective. People think the Marauder body is basically a crown vic and or grand marquis, which it really is minus the custom bumpers, whereas those Pontiacs actually have their own body parts. These are all enthusiast cars, if you like it, who cares what people think.

Good luck with the search for more displacement.

ctrlraven
09-18-2014, 11:07 AM
No one talks about doing a Ford 6.2 because no one thinks the cost of getting it to actually work will be worth the gains.

The Ford 6.2 will fit, cowl will have to be trimmed or removed, something would have to be figured up with exhaust manifolds or short headers, steering shaft may be in the way, 4R70/5 trans should bolt up. Then you have to figure out a way for engine management with a 2v sohc vct motor.

If you want more displacement out of the modular 4.6 your options are 4.75 (stroked), 5.0 (Boss50 block, Teksid block bored or stroked), 5.1 (Boss50 block bored, Teksid block bored) and 5.3 (Boss50 or Teksid bored and stroked). The Coyote 5.0 is also an option BUT no one has done it yet there are much easier and less costly options.

Putting a GM motor will net more hp per ci if a 6.0 or 6.2 is put and then throwing some boost on that.

Some stuff is just not cost effective if the person truly has a goal of power. A Marauder with a stock motor that has a Trilogy ($7-8k) or Eaton swap kit ($4-4.5k) on it and lets say full exhaust will put down more power at the rear wheels than what the Ford 6.2 does at the flywheel.

sailsmen
09-18-2014, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=MMBLUE;1411286]He already has a MMR 600 in it. - Who has an MMR 600?

The best way you can get to where you want to be Mike - Who is Mike?

lji372
09-18-2014, 12:32 PM
what kind of mileage could we get if we modified a prius drive train i wonder.....anybody??

SIZEMOREMK
09-18-2014, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=MMBLUE;1411286]He already has a MMR 600 in it. - Who has an MMR 600?

The best way you can get to where you want to be Mike - Who is Mike?

He's talking about me, I'm the fella that bought his Marauder.

None of this is aimed towards MMBLUE by the way, he sold me a really nice MM.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-18-2014, 01:25 PM
A diesel swap, or hybrid (electric/gas) motor swapped panther would be the only thing to impress me. Mileage and torque? :eek:

jnobles06
09-18-2014, 02:01 PM
A diesel swap, or hybrid (electric/gas) motor swapped panther would be the only thing to impress me. Mileage and torque? :eek:

swap in a a 351c. they are are basically the ls based engine less the heads. there are very few differences between the 351c and an ls1. it will probably cost the same as a 6.2 in the end, but itll be faster and it'll be ford. its as close to an ls type engine you can get before buying an an actual ls based engine. if you stroke it with h/c/i and keep it fuel injected with a spyder type efi system it would be SICK:eek:

SIZEMOREMK
09-18-2014, 02:24 PM
swap in a a 351c. they are are basically the ls based engine less the heads. there are very few differences between the 351c and an ls1. it will probably cost the same as a 6.2 in the end, but itll be faster and it'll be ford. its as close to an ls type engine you can get before buying an an actual ls based engine. if you stroke it with h/c/i and keep it fuel injected with a spyder type efi system it would be SICK:eek:

Just to be clear, my questions were posed for the Ford 6.2 from the Raptor and/or the Superduty pickups.

There is no place in my MM for any bowtie motors.

Interesting point on the LS motors being based on a 351c, I have heard that before and kinda dismissed it. Maybe there is something to it?

As for the 351c, I have always heard numerous times that the blocks themselves had issues with voids too close to the cylinder walls, and many couldn't be bored???

Is the 351c a 429/460 bolt pattern? Would you have to go C6 on the tranny? Or would maybe an E4OD or something like that bolt up? OD would be a must. I want to have my cake and eat it too ;)

jnobles06
09-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Just to be clear, my questions were posed for the Ford 6.2 from the Raptor and/or the Superduty pickups.

There is no place in my MM for any bowtie motors.

Interesting point on the LS motors being based on a 351c, I have heard that before and kinda dismissed it. Maybe there is something to it?

As for the 351c, I have always heard numerous times that the blocks themselves had issues with voids too close to the cylinder walls, and many couldn't be bored???

Is the 351c a 429/460 bolt pattern? Would you have to go C6 on the tranny? Or would maybe an E4OD or something like that bolt up? OD would be a must. I want to have my cake and eat it too ;)

you can take it up to a 408 and it needs to be stroked to take advantage of the larger port heads it has. you can take it to .060 over stock but i would bore .040.

i'm pretty sure the 351c has the small block windsor transmission bolt pattern.

MMBLUE
09-18-2014, 03:13 PM
I think you are answering your own questions. Bird man has some really good points. However, if you think it would cost a lot to beef up what you already have, answer is no.

Your 10-12K figure is not even close. JT trim 2K, stall 500, pullies 150.

Sell your NOVI minus 1500 = 1,150. That will get you close to the 600 mark. Oh yeah, I forgot the serpentine belt 150. Anyway, better than a shat load of money and engineering to fit a 6.2 that won't fit anyway. It will of course, if you don't need the cowl and it's not a daily driver. My .02

MMBLUE
09-18-2014, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=sailsmen;1411362]

He's talking about me, I'm the fella that bought his Marauder.

None of this is aimed towards MMBLUE by the way, he sold me a really nice MM.

Thanks... ;) I know you got a deal of a lifetime.

MMR 600 short-block here http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.c om/

SIZEMOREMK
09-18-2014, 03:46 PM
I think you are answering your own questions. Bird man has some really good points. However, if you think it would cost a lot to beef up what you already have, answer is no.

Your 10-12K figure is not even close. JT trim 2K, stall 500, pullies 150.

Sell your NOVI minus 1500 = 1,150. That will get you close to the 600 mark. Oh yeah, I forgot the serpentine belt 150. Anyway, better than a shat load of money and engineering to fit a 6.2 that won't fit anyway. It will of course, if you don't need the cowl and it's not a daily driver. My .02

When I get around to stepping things up for reals, it will most likely not be with a centri. I'm not ready to do anything in the near term, just exploring some options right now.

I'm as small as I can go on the blower pulley, next step is the crank pulley; and I'm sure I'll do that in the nearer term, along with a stall converter.

I know my shortblock is advertised for 600 to the wheels but I would be affraid to get up real close to 600 on this particular shortblock if I were going with a roots or screw blower. I like a large margin for error.

Realistically, a new 4.6 longblock stroked and worked for serious power is going to be close to 10K by itself.

88CuttyClassic
09-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Price wise the g8 gt and gxp are still way high. I considered them for a split second. The only real viable option that had potential to change my mind about the marauder was a charger rt.

If want displacement go old school. Nothing feels or sounds like a big block.

ctrlraven
09-18-2014, 04:40 PM
When I get around to stepping things up for reals, it will most likely not be with a centri. I'm not ready to do anything in the near term, just exploring some options right now.

I'm as small as I can go on the blower pulley, next step is the crank pulley; and I'm sure I'll do that in the nearer term, along with a stall converter.

I know my shortblock is advertised for 600 to the wheels but I would be affraid to get up real close to 600 on this particular shortblock if I were going with a roots or screw blower. I like a large margin for error.

Realistically, a new 4.6 longblock stroked and worked for serious power is going to be close to 10K by itself.
When a company advertises it's handling power it will be to the crank, never to the wheels. 600hp to the wheels in our cars is 725-750 at the crank give or take depending on the FI being used since it takes power to make power.

There is very little if anything to be gained by stroking a SC modular engine. Stroking will increase piston speed which increases friction and lowers the maximum rpm of the motor. Boring is the way to go if you have to have increased displacement as with the added benefit of the same as stock or higher maximum rpm of that motor. Increasing the compression ratio can offer a good gain when used on a bored modular motor.

With the blocks there are really only a few differences between the 4.6 4v (305hp/320tq using Mach 1 NA as example) has a 3.94" bore spacing, bore and stroke have both a diameter of 3.55", 5.93" connecting rod length and has a compression ratio of 10.1:1. The Coyote 5.0 NA (412hp/390tq), shares the 4.6's 3.94" bore spacing, bore diameter and stroke have increased to 3.63" and 3.65". The engine also retains the 4.6's 5.93" connecting rod length, which produces a 1.62:1 rod to stroke ratio and has a compression ratio of 11.1:1.

justbob
09-18-2014, 04:46 PM
plus you might want to stay with a smaller high revving v8 since you are running the auto with 4.10's. whats your top speed right now with 4.10 and the 4r70w, like 130?

130... That's a couple feet into 4th for me! :)

OP, Not too sure why your power is lacking. My old set up was nothing special, just an unported Trilogy 3.2 upper/stock lower, MAFia, JLT, and a stock trans. With just over 11 PSI she made 456/431 with room to spare.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

sailsmen
09-18-2014, 05:33 PM
For the record wayyyy back when stock MMs were put on a DynoJet and the RWHP was consistently ~60HP less than the Ford advertised crank HP. What this tells us is the parasitic drag of the MM drivetrain is ~60Hp.

My car per the above posted specs has 600CHP.

My car does the 1/4 in 11.5 and 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

I raced modified 440 Magnums and 455's when they were new. I have also driven a 1961 Impala SS Dual 4 barrels and 4 speed.

None of the "Muscle" cars I raced or raced against that were in street class ever came close to 11.5 or 3.2.

The answer is sitting in your car and outlined by the guy who sold you the car.

I think the best thing you can do is sell the MM and buy something else.

Nothing beats Memories!
From an old post;
"Watched the Speed Channel last nite Muscle car shoot out. Legendary Motor Cars took the following vehicles as they came from the factory and here's what they did in 1/4 times;
1969 GTO Judge Stage 3 - 14.090
1970 Chevelle LS6 - 13.953
1970 Buick GS Stage 1 -13.960
AMX 390 GoPack - 14.848
1969 429 Boss Mustang - 13.743
1969 Hurst Olds - 13.828."

I drove/rode in a lot of these cars and car that ran in the 13's was very fast.

# YEAR/MODEL ET/MPH ENGINE HP TRANS GEAR SOURCE
1 1997 Viper GTS 12.05@116 V10 450 six-speed 3.07 MM 8/97
2 1966 427 Cobra 12.20@118 427 8V 425 four-speed 3.54 CC 11/65
3 1990 ZR1 Corvette 12.8@113.8 LT5 350 375 six-speed 3.45 MT 4/90
4 1966 Corvette 427 12.8@112 L72 427 425 four-speed 3.36 CD 11/65
5 1969 Road Runner 12.91@111.8 440 Six BBL 390 four-speed 4.10 SS 6/69
6 1997 Hurst/Firebird 12.99@103.11 350 350 automatic 3.42 MCR 4/5 97
7 1970 Hemi Cuda 13.10@107.12 426 Hemi 425 four-speed 3.54 CC 11/69
8 1992 Viper RT/10 13.1@108 488 V10 400 six-speed 3.07 CD 7/92
9 1970 Chevelle SS454 13.12@107.01 454 LS6 450 four-speed 3.55 CC 11/69
10 1969 Camaro 13.16@110.21 427 ZL1 430 four-speed 4.10 HC 6/69
11 1997 Corvette 13.20@109.3 350 LS-1 345 six-speed 3.42 MT 5/97
12 1997 SLP Camaro SS 13.20@108.8 350 LT4 330 six-speed 3.42 MT 2/97
13 1990 Pontiac Firehawk 13.20@107 350 350 six-speed 3.54 CD 6/91
14 1968 Corvette 13.30@108 427 6V 435 four-speed 3.70 HC 5/68
15 1970 Road Runner 13.34@107.5 426 Hemi 425 automatic 4.10 SS 12/69
16 1970 Buick GS Stage I 13.38@105.5 455 Stage I 360 automatic 3.64 MT 1/70
17 1996 Camaro Z28 SS 13.46@106.48 350 LT-1 310 six-speed 3.42 MCR F/M 96
18 1969 Charger 500 13.48@109 426 Hemi 425 four-speed 4.10 HR 2/69
19 1973 Trans Am 13.54@104.29 455 SD 310 automatic 3.42 HR 6/73
20 1969 Corvette 13.56@111.1 427 L88 430 automatic 3.36 HR 4/69
21 1969 Super Bee 13.56@105.6 440 Six Pack 390 automatic 4.10 HR 8/69
22 1969 Boss 429 Mustang 13.60@106 Boss 429 375 four-speed 3.91 HC 9/69
23 1970 Challenger R/T 13.62@104.3 440 Six Pack 390 automatic 3.23 CC 11/69
24 1970 Torino Cobra 13.63@105.9 429 SCJ 370 automatic 3.91 SS 3/70
25 1968 Biscayne 13.65@105 427 L72 425 four-speed 4.56 SS 4/68
26 1995 Mustang Cobra R 13.67@102.82 351 300 five-speed 3.27 MCR A/S 95
27 1964 Polara 500 13.70@107.37 426 4V 365 four-speed 3.23 HC 2/64
28 1996 Corvette GS 13.7@105.1 350 LT-4 330 six-speed 3.45 RT 2/96
29 1969 GTX 13.70@102.8 440 4V 375 automatic 4.10 MT 1/69
30 1987 Buick GNX 13.70@102 231 Turbo V6 300 automatic 3.42 HR 4/87
31 1969 Dart 440 13.71@105 440 4V 375 automatic 3.55 CC 5/69
32 1971 Road Runner 13.71@101.2 440 Six BBL 390 automatic 4.10 CC 1/71
33 1971 Cuda 13.72@106 440 Six BBL 390 automatic 4.10 SS 4/71
34 1971 Corvette 13.72@102.04 454 LS6 450 four-speed 3.36 CL 8/71
35 1971 Super Bee 13.73@104 426 Hemi 425 automatic 4.10 MT 12/70
36 1968 Hurst/Olds 13.77@103.91 455 W-30 390 automatic 3.91 SS 8/68
37 1968 Firebird 13.79@106 400 HO 335 four-speed N/A HR 3/68
38 1967 Corvette 13.80@108 427 6V 435 four-speed 3.55 HR 5/67
39 1971 Boss 351 Mustang 13.80@104 Boss 351 330 four-speed 3.91 MT 1/71
40 1966 Satellite 13.81@104 426 Hemi 425 four-speed 3.54 CD 4/66
41 1969 Coronet R/T 13.83@102.27 440 4V 375 four-speed 4.10 SS 4/69
42 1968 Cyclone GT 13.86@101.69 428 CJ 335 automatic 4.11 MT 8/68
43 1969 Nova SS 396 13.87@105.1 396 4V 375 automatic 3.55 HR 7/69
44 1969 Shelby GT-500 13.87@104.52 428 CJ 335 four-speed 3.91 SS 9/69
45 1970 Olds 4-4-2 W-30 13.88@95.84 455 W-30 370 automatic 3.42 CC 11/69
46 1962 Corvette 13.89@105.14 327 FI 360 four-speed 4.10 HR 1/62
47 1969 Barracuda 13.89@103.21 440 4V 375 automatic 4.10 SS 8/69
48 1969 Mustang Mach I 13.90@103.32 428 CJ 335 automatic 3.50 CL 3/69
49 1967 GTO 13.90@102.8 400 RA 360 automatic 4.33 CL 10/67
50 1970 Trans Am 13.90@102 400 RA 345 four-speed 3.91 HR 2/70
Legend: CC=Car Craft, CD=Car and Driver, CL=Car Life, HC=Hi Performance Cars, HR=Hot Rod, MCR=You have to ask?, MM=Mopar Muscle, MT=Motor Trend, SS=Super Stock
http://www.musclecargarage.com/50fastestmusclecars.html

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-18-2014, 05:49 PM
OP, Not too sure why your power is lacking. My old set up was nothing special, just an unported Trilogy 3.2 upper/stock lower, MAFia, JLT, and a stock trans. With just over 11 PSI she made 456/431 with room to spare.

That's pretty much my eaton swap details except my BF 3.1 upper. :banana2:

massacre
09-18-2014, 06:00 PM
http://www.musclecargarage.com/50fastestmusclecars.html

A very interesting list, thanks for posting!

SIZEMOREMK
09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
Kooks Headers & X Pipe
GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
Art Carr Built Trans , Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87
300A, Build 2002, 78 of 7839

95,000 Miles - Ford Cobra Reman
180,000 Miles & 300+ Runs Down the 1,320’
1.667 7.360@92.70 11.542@121.19
Top Speed 160+MPH
Out ran 1 day at the track;
Mustang Cobra Convertible – 12.47
Mustang Coyote – 12.03
Chevelle 454 – 11.67
Corvette – 11.975
Corvette Z06 – 12.48*
Camaro SS – 11.87
Corvette – 11.57.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90621

So your car lives at 19lbs pretty reliably then!
What is your compression ratio?
Assuming stock cams?

Mind sharing the details of your 8 rib setup? Did you have to swap the timing cover?

sailsmen
09-18-2014, 08:24 PM
8.5, stock cams, Ford Reman Long Block.

2014 Oil Report
From Blackstone Labs;
All seems well for this engine at 3,269 miles on the oil so far. Wear metals are holding pretty steady compared to the June 2013 sample, and we're not finding any excessive amounts of lead or sodium here. And the viscosity was in the proper range for a 5W/20, so this is a second perfect report in a row!
Nice! Low insolubles are showing excellent oil filtration and good combustion, and a high flashpoint is showing no fuel present in the oil. You could certainly leave this oil in place a little longer -- resample in 2,000 miles to check up on wear. Good report!

No issues to report for the transmission. Metals really haven't changed all that much since the last sample. Iron went up a tad, copper decreased a bit, but these readings are just fine after 9,755 miles onthe oil. We're not finding any excessive solids in the oil (see insolubles at a trace level), and the viscosity
was good for Mercon V. Put another 2,000 miles on this oil and check back. Keep up the good work!

Blown3.8
09-19-2014, 07:28 AM
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?981744-600-HP-N-A-Carburated-Ford-6-2-SOHC-Foxbody-Notch-Build-High-9-s-Or-Bust!!

71cyclone
09-19-2014, 08:58 AM
WOW -- Definitely read the SVT /FORum--- Definitely A Crackin Motor !!!

SIZEMOREMK
09-19-2014, 12:20 PM
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?981744-600-HP-N-A-Carburated-Ford-6-2-SOHC-Foxbody-Notch-Build-High-9-s-Or-Bust!!

Short version, these are his numbers from a few days ago.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?981744-600-HP-N-A-Carburated-Ford-6-2-SOHC-Foxbody-Notch-Build-High-9-s-Or-Bust!!&p=14412716&viewfull=1#post14412716

Looks like he started out going for 9s N/A, but decided on a centri before he was done.

690 rwhp 560 rwtq with 11PSI on a blowthrough carb. Currently stock longblock. I would be very interested in what things would look like with N/A 11:1 compression maybe and stroked a bit?

Roush built one into a 7.0 and had 700HP N/A, then an e85 version with 800 HP.