PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

NOMARQUIS
04-19-2004, 01:46 PM
I have always been a fan of the Mark VII's. There is one for sale locally that has to be one of the cleanest I have ever seen. The body is straight and rust free. The black paint is free of peel and shines real nice. The interior is nice with only one bad crack on the driver's side bolster. It seems to run and drive ok, but the "Air Suspension" lamp is on. The owner has replaced all four bags and he has a slip to prove it. 3 months ago the lamp came on, but the system seems to work fine. It has new exhaust. It seems that these cars were problem ridden, but I can get this one for under a grand. It has 117,000 miles on it. Do any of you know if these cars are reliable and I'm wondering your opinions if it's worth 800 dollars?

Thanks,

Eric

MAD-3R
04-19-2004, 01:54 PM
That would make one HELL of a "Hot Rod Lincoln" you could build it up as a dedicated drag car, and do your 1/4 mile sprints in Style! :)

GordonB
04-19-2004, 02:19 PM
Eric,
I have had my LSC ('90) since new and replaced bags 2 years ago, but have NEVER had the Check Suspension light come on except when I jack the car up abd forget to turn the suspension switch back on! I have 168,000 miles now. There is the possibility of an Air Compressor problem in your proposed new car -- try turning off the switch in the trunk, shut off car; restart car and turn switch back on. See if this helps. Good luck with your decision.
GordonB

I have always been a fan of the Mark VII's. There is one for sale locally that has to be one of the cleanest I have ever seen. The body is straight and rust free. The black paint is free of peel and shines real nice. The interior is nice with only one bad crack on the driver's side bolster. It seems to run and drive ok, but the "Air Suspension" lamp is on. The owner has replaced all four bags and he has a slip to prove it. 3 months ago the lamp came on, but the system seems to work fine. It has new exhaust. It seems that these cars were problem ridden, but I can get this one for under a grand. It has 117,000 miles on it. Do any of you know if these cars are reliable and I'm wondering your opinions if it's worth 800 dollars?

Thanks,

Eric

NOMARQUIS
04-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Well, I took 8 crisp Ben Franklins to the guy, but I road tested the Mark one last time. I noticed at idle the red "engine" lamp came on and flashed. If you hit the gas it went away. I'd guess the engine is tired. It's funny it didn't knock. I put the hundos back in my wallet and drove off in the Radio Flyer and watched the Mark get smaller and smaller. It stinks. It was so nice, but with the lights on, I'd think it's wise to pass her up. :(

Thanks.....

Eric

RoyLPita
04-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Eric,
I had an '87 LSC. -about 15k made through 2/87. It is rated at 200 HP and 265 ft lbs TQ, the equivalent of an '86 GT.
As for mods, you can use the Mustang cat back exhaust but you will have to extend the tips. I don't know id the H-pipe will work. You can also add the stock upper intake and EGR spacer from the '87-'93 Mustang for a little more "throaty" sound. I had to use the 58 MM TB from the other intake because of the tv cable set up. It is still speed density so, there's only so much that one can do.
At least the LSC has 3.27 gears (code 5 for conventional, code E for Traction Lok), but the double cardan driveshaft can be weak.
The tripminder can be a pain if it is screwed up. Mine would say 0 Distance to empty after the fuel guage left full. I also had an exhaust leak on the right side from the cat connection at the header flange (a/c evap drip causes this). My ABS never worked. I got rid of it because the panel below the rear window rusted out and water leaked into the trunk and also the roof above the door sills rusted out too. With Flowmaster exhaust, '87 and up intake, and 3.55 Traction Lok and 140+ thousand miles, It would bark 2nd gear if I manually shifted it right. I kept the tranny for that reason. And put the motor, radiator and front rotors on an '89 GT convertible. I still have the front calipers. they will work on my 1992 GM LS HPP.
As for the air suspension light coming on, the lines may have to be checked for leaks. They are made out of plastic so, they can be starting to leak.

Just my .02 and then some.

gpfarrell
04-20-2004, 06:19 AM
You have a '78 Marquis? This place is filled with wierd people.

The engine light is probably an oil pressure issue, which might not be any issue at all. If the body isn't ugly, I think it would be a blast for 8 bills. Maybe you can even get it for less now that you walked once!

Change the oil and fill it up with 20w-50. My 1985 5.0 Mustang got 127,000 really hard miles before 3rd gear quit triggering the engine/tranny upgrade. The valve guide seals were gone so it was smoking a bit, but I still topped 100 mph on the drive to the garage to pull the motor. I did run heavier oil in it towards the end, and that kept it happier for awhile.

That 5.0 roller-cam motor is one tough sumbiotch; it should still have some life left in it with 117k.

Some of the connections on that air-ride have to be bought N-E-W from Ford... they can only be used once. If the car works okay... I'd unscrew the bulb... that's how you fix an $800 car!

Good luck on a good decision... I'd check for the hidden rust though... all bets are off its crusty.

G

sailsmen
04-20-2004, 06:37 AM
The disadvantage is early 1990's and 1980's cars were no where as reliable as late 1990's.

The advantage is lots of inexpensive go fast parts for that engine.

If it's for a daily driver look for a Mark VIII. If it's for a car to mod for the track or weekends get the Mark VII.

jerrym3
04-20-2004, 08:10 AM
My wife's 89 Lincoln Towncar with a 302 has 142,000 miles and doesn't smoke or burn oil. Since new, I've personally changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. (Same with my 94 TBird 4.6 with 110,000 miles).

The Towncar does have an oil leak, though.

Both cars have had trans rebuilds.