PDA

View Full Version : Got approached while getting some gas today...

sflrainmaker01
10-05-2014, 06:24 PM
It happened. Someone approached me while I was getting gas today at a local gas station. I wasn't driving the Marauder, but my 86 Mustang GT convertible. The guy asks if its "for sale". "Not really, but everything has a price tag, I guess", I said. We talked some more and I asked what kind of $$ he was thinking (I was waiting for him to say $3000 or something). He said "$6500?" Now I'm like, hmmmmm....:hmmm: Quickly, I thought, I could get another fox body AND get most of the $$ for an Eaton swap. BUT, I have owned this car for so long, and would hate to see it go after all the work we did to it. :depress: I still really like it, EXCEPT I am still dealing with tuning issues that have pushed me to a become a very frustrated owner. I probably got another $1000 to put in her before she is driving the way it should be after a MAF conversion, chip and dyno tune. After that, it's mostly little stuff it needs other than paint to be near perfect (right now it's a 6-8 foot car).

I figured I would post here to get some UN-biased feedback. So, what do ya'll think?

a_d_a_m
10-05-2014, 07:06 PM
I'd sell. Like you said, for that price you can get a Fox and make headway on an Eaton swap.

guspech750
10-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Sell it.

Buy a 1990 Saleen and do a Terminator swap.

That's what I keep thinking of for myself.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Mebot
10-05-2014, 09:09 PM
How did you respond to his offer of $6500?

chief455
10-05-2014, 10:33 PM
I just sold my 'other' toy to pay for my Marauder.
It just makes sense, for sure if you feel his offer is more than fair.

massacre
10-06-2014, 03:43 AM
I'd theoretically pay $6500 for a fox in good shape, nice ones are getting hard to find nowadays. I'm not in the market for one at the moment though.

sflrainmaker01
10-06-2014, 06:47 AM
How did you respond to his offer of $6500?

I told him he's in the ballpark. He gave me his number and told me to call him in the next couple days. He wants the car for a father/son "project".

I just sold my 'other' toy to pay for my Marauder.
It just makes sense, for sure if you feel his offer is more than fair.

I think the offer is fair. It certainly gives me some options.

I'd theoretically pay $6500 for a fox in good shape, nice ones are getting hard to find nowadays. I'm not in the market for one at the moment though.

Yeah they are getting harder to find and even some of the junked up ones people are asking all the $$ for. :rolleyes: Sometimes, you can get lucky though!

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-06-2014, 06:54 AM
EDIT: Thought you WERE in the MM... For $6500, I would do it and look for a clean notch fox.

Davesvt2000
10-06-2014, 08:26 AM
If you don't "need" the money, keep the car. If you feel it can be better used for another project, then sell it.

I feel like I did the opposite. Sold my Marauder this past June for $14,000.

When my friend asked me what I plan on doing with the money, I told him it will make a nice deposit on a 2016 Mustang.

I spent $4000 of the $14 on some upgrades to my Laguna Seca, and a mini bathroom remodel on the house.

The other $10,000 well the weekend I sold the car was the weekend Apple stock split 7-1, so that monday morning I bought 1000 shares at $93/share, and today it's at $100. See where it's at by next summer and maybe take the profit towards a new car.

sflrainmaker01
10-06-2014, 09:00 AM
If you don't "need" the money, keep the car. If you feel it can be better used for another project, then sell it.

I feel like I did the opposite. Sold my Marauder this past June for $14,000.

When my friend asked me what I plan on doing with the money, I told him it will make a nice deposit on a 2016 Mustang.

I spent $4000 of the $14 on some upgrades to my Laguna Seca, and a mini bathroom remodel on the house.

The other $10,000 well the weekend I sold the car was the weekend Apple stock split 7-1, so that monday morning I bought 1000 shares at $93/share, and today it's at $100. See where it's at by next summer and maybe take the profit towards a new car.

I don't "need" the money, luckily. But, it would certainly offer some options, like an Eaton swap on the MM and still have a bit left over for another fox (I love those cars!). Unfortunately, it's not enough to get real excited about. Like, I can't run out and go buy a 1969 Charger RT or even a new Hellcat, Z28 or GT500 with the money.

I was trying to forecast, in 10 or 15 years, what would a 1986 GT vert be worth in very good condition? $10-15k?

JBeezy
10-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm a fox owner myself and I will say I made the mistake of getting rid of my '93 Notch and regret it still to this day. So think on it and don't make any quick decisions. A good fox is becoming hard to find.

To add to this, ask yourself what it would take to buy another and it have the same mods as your current car

jsignorelli
10-06-2014, 06:36 PM
to borrow a line from the God-Father:

"He made me an offer I couldn't Refuse!"

If it is a real offer...go for it!

sflrainmaker01
10-06-2014, 06:56 PM
:beer:
I'm a fox owner myself and I will say I made the mistake of getting rid of my '93 Notch and regret it still to this day. So think on it and don't male any quick decisions. A good fox is coming hard to find.

Yeah, I know. I had a super nice 93 coupe that I thought I would own forever. Lots of great mods, but the economy got in the way and I sold it. :bigcry: However, the new owner really picked up the ball and finished it. It wound up on Velocity TV.:beer: Meanwhile, it allowed me to get this car up and running again after 10 years in the garage. But, it wouldn't be hard to find a replacement (that, of course, would need some work compared to my current one) with the $$ left over from the money I would set aside for the Eaton Swap. :burnout:

to borrow a line from the God-Father:

"He made me an offer I couldn't Refuse!"

If it is a real offer...go for it!

I called him and left him a message to see if he is for real! We all know talk is cheap. I am going to call him out! :eek: