PDA

View Full Version : Huge car crash

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Thought this was interesting to share. Happened yesterday afternoon, on an intersection I pass often. This goes to show, you never know when its your time to go, even just minding your business at a red light. The old guy in the truck blew through the light at over 100mph. Took out 2 nuns in that mangled silver car and injured about a dozen. Here's the vid taken right after, and the news report.

Mm69BLoQoVs

http://abc7chicago.com/news/police-driver-involved-in-accident-before-oak-lawn-crash/338197/

Drive safe everyone.

fastblackmerc
10-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Geeez......... Did any of the onlookers think to stop recording video and try to assist the injured?

Baconbit
10-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Wow.....that's all I can say, and I have responded to some bad/strange accidents but this one takes the cake. ChiTown if you hear of any updates to this please post as I would like to follow them.

champ1173
10-06-2014, 10:19 AM
I couldn't believe he got up to that speed down 95th. My buddy has a towing business out of Oak Lawn, n was one of da trucks cleaning up that mess!

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Wow.....that's all I can say, and I have responded to some bad/strange accidents but this one takes the cake. ChiTown if you hear of any updates to this please post as I would like to follow them.

Ok, Will do.

Motorhead350
10-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Geeez......... Did any of the onlookers think to stop recording video and try to assist the injured?

You can get in major trouble for that. Unless you are of legal position to perform C.P.R., the only thing you can legally do is call the police. Unless you want to be sued for pulling someone out of a car and possibly making them worse with spinal injury for example.

I think the only condition when it's "ok" is when a car is burning and someone is trapped inside. If you have the guts to save them. Otherwise it's a mess in the court room.

The laws may differ state to state, but that's what it is here and Indiana.

guspech750
10-06-2014, 12:09 PM

You would hope someone helped. But like Dom said. You can easily be sued here for helping someone.

Many in the medical field always having a conflicting moral obligation in wanting to help someone outside of their work but having the fear of being sued if that person doesn't survive or becomes even more injured.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

ARodmarauder
10-06-2014, 12:39 PM

I thought the same when I seen this video yesterday on Facebook. It's sad to see all the people recording but not one helping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drac
10-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Holy hell....

L.Mark
10-06-2014, 01:06 PM
You can get in major trouble for that. Unless you are of legal position to perform C.P.R., the only thing you can legally do is call the police. Unless you want to be sued for pulling someone out of a car and possibly making them worse with spinal injury for example.

I think the only condition when it's "ok" is when a car is burning and someone is trapped inside. If you have the guts to save them. Otherwise it's a mess in the court room.

This is true. I'm CPR certified and unless I know you I won't touch you. Unless it's Joe, then I'll perform CPR all day long...

camelgrundle
10-06-2014, 01:14 PM
If you are a citizen and are trying to help you cannot be sued. However if you are a CFR first responder then you are obligated too. So don't worry if you are trying to do the right thing as a civilian go for it. But I would not recommend doing anything without the proper blood barriers. being in the situation normally throws that out the window though.

camelgrundle
10-06-2014, 01:17 PM
When I say trying to do the right thing I mean nothing a normal person would reasonably think was trying to help. Had to clarify for some so no shaking a lifeless body trying to wake them up!

yjmud
10-06-2014, 01:37 PM

RAWNG. You can not be sued for being a Good Samaritan there is a law to protect the good samaritan

TAKEDOWN
10-06-2014, 01:38 PM
^^^ You're correct!

J-MAN
10-06-2014, 02:10 PM
This is true. I'm CPR certified and unless I know you I won't touch you. Unless it's Joe, then I'll perform CPR all day long...

When Joe is laying on his stomach it's not called CPR. :nono:

L.Mark
10-06-2014, 02:47 PM
RAWNG. You can not be sued for being a Good Samaritan there is a law to protect the good samaritan

Really??? Didn't know that...

When Joe is laying on his stomach it's not called CPR. :nono:

Be quiet you...:P

fastblackmerc
10-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Illinois law:

CIVIL IMMUNITIES
(745 ILCS 49/) Good Samaritan Act.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2076&ChapterID=58

Bigdogjim
10-06-2014, 04:05 PM
If one driver ran a red light and ran in one or more cars then how did so many cars end up running into all the others? Hate to say it but it looks like speed is a factor in a whole for a lot of these drivers.

That "mess" will take a few years in courts to square it away. I just hope (as always) the eveyone car walk away or at least recover.

champ1173
10-06-2014, 04:48 PM
The driver was 81 yrs. old. He was probably a diabetic, n his blood sugar dropped. Or so I heard. 80 mph and he plowed into the opposite lane of traffic. He died, a so did 2 nuns. Very sad.

gdsqdcr
10-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Good Samiritan laws will protect you if you render aid in good conscious and at operating within your scope of knowledge. I am an EMT and I teach CPR/First Aid regularly.

As for being required to help, no such legal requirement exists; UNLESS you are being to paid to perform such duties.

N40GL
10-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Not every state honors the "Good Samaritan" principles. In California, for example, once you start being a Good Samaritan you aren't allowed to stop (without liability) until relieved.

This is NOT a universal rule - be warned!

gdsqdcr
10-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Not every state honors the "Good Samaritan" principles. In California, for example, once you start being a Good Samaritan you aren't allowed to stop (without liability) until relieved.

This is NOT a universal rule - be warned!

What states don't honor it? This website, not a .gov site, states all have some sort of law on the books. http://www.gotsafety.biz/good-samaritan-laws.php. Some are not as well thought out as well as others and some are a little more restrictive then others.

This site provides some information about different states. Vermont has a unique law which requires citizens to help. It is best to check with your states local law to determine what you can and can not as well as your coverage. http://firstaid.about.com/od/medicallegal/f/07_good_sam_law.htm

Basic principals of all the good Sam laws are the following:
Not be deliberately negligent or reckless
Act within the scope of his/her training
Not abandon the person after starting to give care

Anthony

Motorhead350
10-06-2014, 11:08 PM
I have no idea what is going on here...