PDA

View Full Version : COPART online auction

chief455
10-11-2014, 08:22 AM
see many Marauders and other interesting vehicles
before I sign up, anyone already involved describe the process?

A copy of your government-issued photo ID.
does this include state driver licenses?

Licensed dealers, dismantlers, general businesses and exporters should submit operational licenses, sales tax licenses and sales exemption forms.
As a civilian, private party, can I still bid, pay and get a vehicle?

chief455
10-11-2014, 08:34 AM
so, here is my registration email:

Your Member Number:

You may use your email address instead
of Member Number.

Your Password:

http://image.e.copart.co.uk/lib/fe9312717662037c71/m/3/sign-in.png (http://click.e.copart.co.uk/?qs=d56ff0b6fc5ddeb4d049be4a43 5d6b37201657068ffd11a935c50d79 d8cf262267da71c5eb5c0d64)

no password! WTF?

fireandice9008
10-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Your password will show up soon, in separate emails. I registered the other day, i'm still getting emails on how the whole thing works.

And yes, as an individual you can bid on some. They'll send you another email on how to see what you can bid/buy.

chief455
10-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Your password will show up soon, in separate emails. I registered the other day, i'm still getting emails on how the whole thing works.

And yes, as an individual you can bid on some. They'll send you another email on how to see what you can bid/buy.
I got the sign on last night, yup! So far, few cars can be bid on without a dealer or a broker - still figuring what I.D. is good enough to bid by broker or as private.
Some decent non salvage stuff going through...
thanks!

vegasmarauder
10-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Through Copart you will need a broker for almost all of the damaged Marauder (and vehicle) sales. The broker may want a sign up fee of $300 plus and may have you post $$$ against bidding on their dealer license. If you get a car through the broker there are ususally some add on fees for the broker to handle the transaction. It can add up to $1000 on the price of the car. The bigest problem with Copart is that they list a car as soon as the insurance company takes possesion of it and list a scheduled sale date. This can change severl more times and the actual auction can be several months later. I think during this time the insurance company is trying to see if one of their preferred buyers would pay a flat price for the car and not go through the auction.

ridesafely(dot)com is another salvage website. When you sign up and bid, you post the deposit right then through a credit card or paypal. The difference between copart is that RS only lists a car for auction when it has actually been cleared for sale, not a pending vehicle. Some are listed as Buy It Now prices. The extra fees are listed when you put in your anticipated bid, along with estimate of shipping if needed. If you win it, they do all the paperwork. All you do is a wire transfer for the balance. Also, Florida is listing a lot of cars with certificates of destruction only (even fixable cars). These will be parts only cars as no DMV in the US will re-register them. RS usually won't let regular people bid on them becuase unless you are a licensed auto wrecker, it's a waste of time.

RS and Copart always have the same vehicles. In fact you can see if anyone has a preliminary bid on a car by checking the same car on each site.

Also, everything wrecked and totaled now will be a salvage title even if it says clear title. There is a nation wide data base the insurance companies are required to list totaled collision and theft only (not comprehensive) losses. even if you get a clear title from say a private owner, as soon as you go to DMV and try to tarnsfer it, if it pops up in the salvage data base, the DMV is supposed to issue a rebuilt title on the car.

chief455
10-15-2014, 09:58 AM
^_^^
excellent, thnk you vegasmarauder!

I was browsing clear title (wear and tear) vehicles with high miles and such. no salvage titles for me.
I caught on to the broker being required in most every state.
I'd just get a dealer friend to bid for me.
I'll look into ridesafely, maybe they pass non salvage cars through...