View Full Version : Veteran's Day!!!!!

fastblackmerc
11-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks to all that served!

Thanks to all that are serving!

http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetdayhistory.asp

tmwlch1
11-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Thank You. I wish my brothers and sisters a safe and happy Veterans Day. Retired July 17th 1987 U.S. Army Military Intel.

88LTDCV351
11-11-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm always confused by Veteran's day. I mean, is it more about those who served in combat, or during combat time, or served over seas for the US military? Those who lost thier lives in war time?

I mean, for someone like myself who did 8 years in the US Army Reserve but didn't go no where but weekend drills at the drill hall and two week training in the summer, I don't really consider myself a veteran. I was just some high school and college kid who did a small part for patriotic duty purposes and needed the GI Bill. Considered the military as a career choice but decided later it was for better men than I. To each his calling.

Thoughts? Who are the veterans that deserve recognition on this day?

88LTDCV351
11-11-2014, 11:50 AM
My Dad was in the Army and stationed in Germany during the cold war. He got his honorable discharge to marry my mom. This was before Vietnam heated up. My Grandpa was in the Navy during WWII and was a medic. But he said he didn't see any combat. I would consider them veterans though.

ChiTownMaraud3r
11-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I think its for all who have served.

wannaMM
11-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Y'all might want to check link in post #1...11th day of the 11th month on the 11th hour.....the end of the "Big One"

Bluerauder
11-11-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm always confused by Veteran's day. I mean, is it more about those who served in combat, or during combat time, or served over seas for the US military? Those who lost thier lives in war time??

Not surprising since there are many definitions of Veteran depending on its use (see below). For the purposes of "Veterans' Day", it is intended to honor ALL those who have served ..... i.e. those who took the oath and signed a blank check to Uncle Sam.

I think its for all who have served.

You are correct.

However, for "Veteran's Preference" in hiring, the definition in 5 USC 2108 is a little more specific on time periods and qualifications regarding service time .....

"(1) “veteran” means an individual who—
(A) served on active duty in the armed forces during a war, in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized, or during the period beginning April 28, 1952, and ending July 1, 1955; THIS COVERS WORLD WAR II AND KOREA AND ALL PRIOR.

(B) served on active duty as defined by section 101 (21) of title 38 at any time in the armed forces for a period of more than 180 consecutive days any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976, not including service under section 12103 (d) of title 10 pursuant to an enlistment in the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard or as a Reserve for service in the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, or Coast Guard Reserve; THIS COVERS THE COLD WAR AND VIETNAM.

(C) served on active duty as defined by section 101 (21) of title 38 in the armed forces during the period beginning on August 2, 1990, and ending on January 2, 1992; or THIS COVERS THE GULF WAR/DESERT STORM.

(D) served on active duty as defined by section 101 (21) of title 38 at any time in the armed forces for a period of more than 180 consecutive days any part of which occurred during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, and ending on the date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law as the last date of Operation Iraqi Freedom; THIS COVERS SINCE 9-11, IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN.

and, except as provided under section 2108a, who has been discharged or released from active duty in the armed forces under honorable conditions; "

Dre1842
11-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Happy Vets Day to all my brothers and sisters that served........

Windsor58
11-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Fastblackmerc - Thank you for posting this up.

+1 whole-heartedly.

Thank you to all who served and kept the rest of us free.
And thank you to all of your families, too.

Bradley G
11-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Thanks to all that kept us and keep us free !:bows: