PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Tribute Run Rich

crouse
11-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone,

My daughter has a 2004 Mazda Tribute. 3.0 V6 with approximately 132,000 miles. Spark plugs were changed in the spring/summer of 2013. Can't remember how many miles.

Sometimes on a cold start, it will run rough / rich for a few minutes until it warms up. It sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders. No Check Engine Light, so I can't scan for any codes. Typically a bad coil will throw a code. I've read online and some have talked about the lower intake gaskets needing to be replaced, but it seems weird that it would run rich with leaking intake gaskets. I would think it would run lean since there is more air being pulled in. I hate to just throw parts at it hoping to fix the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt

fastblackmerc
11-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone,

My daughter has a 2004 Mazda Tribute. 3.0 V6 with approximately 132,000 miles. Spark plugs were changed in the spring/summer of 2013. Can't remember how many miles.

Sometimes on a cold start, it will run rough / rich for a few minutes until it warms up. It sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders. No Check Engine Light, so I can't scan for any codes. Typically a bad coil will throw a code. I've read online and some have talked about the lower intake gaskets needing to be replaced, but it seems weird that it would run rich with leaking intake gaskets. I would think it would run lean since there is more air being pulled in. I hate to just throw parts at it hoping to fix the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt

Have you checked a Mazda Tribute forum?

http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/

http://forums.mazdaworld.org/108-tribute/

RF Overlord
11-14-2014, 06:34 AM
My daughter has a 2004 Mazda Tribute. 3.0 V6 I *think* that's the same engine as the Ford Duratec.
No Check Engine Light, so I can't scan for any codes.Yes, you can. There may be pending codes that just haven't gotten severe enough to set the CEL
Typically a bad coil will throw a code. Not necessarily. Mary's car had a bad skip that only showed up under moderate acceleration or when in a higher gear. Bad #3 COP, never set a CEL.

crouse
11-14-2014, 09:46 AM
It's the DOHC V6. I think it's a Duratec.

I'll scan for any codes this weekend. I still have my OEM coils from when I installed the Granatelli coils. Maybe I'll replace the front 3 to see if there is any change. 50/50 chance. :) The upper intake has to be removed in order to get at the back 3 coils.

Thanks, Curt