PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a new winter beater...

NewCar
11-15-2014, 01:24 PM
A 1999 Grand Marquis LS w/113k miles. Anything in particular I should do to her right off the bat (Outside of normal used car stuff)? No, not mods. I mean platform specific maintenance. :banana2:

RF Overlord
11-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Outside of normal used car stuff, not really. Fluids, filters, etc...

Check the parking brakes. Most likely the friction material has fallen off the shoes or is about to. Very common.

Also, don't be surprised when you see the driver's side rear caliper is mounted in front while the passenger side has the traditional mounting (rear-facing).

2mercs
11-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Outside of normal used car stuff, not really. Fluids, filters, etc...

Check the parking brakes. Most likely the friction material has fallen off the shoes or is about to. Very common.

Also, don't be surprised when you see the driver's side rear caliper is mounted in front while the passenger side has the traditional mounting (rear-facing).
+1 On this happened to my 04 maquis thought a wheel bearing took a crap. Luckily it was just the shoe came apart.

loud2004marquis
11-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Think there was something with the intake manifolds around that year, up to 2001 IIRC. They had a plastic coolant crossover which would end up leaking and owners have been upgrading to a Dorman unit with a built in aluminum coolant crossover.

NewCar
11-15-2014, 04:43 PM
I haven't had a V8 car in a while so I kind of want to put a cat-back on the car LOL.