PDA

View Full Version : my 2014 Thanksgiving

STEPS
11-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Hello

I hope all is well.

I just wanted to share with you about our memorable Thanksgiving. Before "The Gang" arrived
Steve wasn't feeling that well .... head ache and his vision was a little blurry and so
he laid down. About a half-an-hour later our guests arrived and this was when I
woke Steve up. He was disoriented and didn't know what I was talking about.

Fortunately, my sisters .... In-Law was here (a RN in ICU @Mayo). I quietly mentioned
to Karen that I'd like her to see Steve, as I think Steve could have had a stroke ....
he didn't know who Cailin was. She visited with him, asked him a few questions and
suggested we call "911"...which I did immediately even though I was very emotional.
The ambulance appeared in record time: while I road in the front of the ambulance
my sister Chere & Karen tailgated behind us to Mayo.

The Neurology team emerged immediately and said we they will need to do some tests
...... Steve had to be admitted. So I spent the night in Steve's private room which had a futon
in it for me to sleep on. So yesterday they did the echocardiogram which he passed;
his MRI indicated his carotid arteries were clear and yet with the MRA Steve had three (of the
six in the brain) vessels (two in the middle and one in the rear of the brain) that were "tight"
...... which caused the blurriness and the confusion. So Steve had a
Mini-TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack).

Praise-the-Lord he was D/C'd last night with an Rx for Plavix (to open the vessels and
prevent clots) for three months & to take a daily aspirin. If Steve does not have any incidences
during these months, he will just be on a daily aspirin.

They also found his Triglycerides were elevated and so he is on meds for this, as well as, a
Mediterranean Diet. He also needs to be more aggressive in his working out regime to build
up his heart rate.

I have to mention that just before Steve had his MRI/A, all of a sudden Fr. Frank arrived
in our room (from Our Lady Star of the Sea) for a visit. What such a pleasant and blessed
surprise. After saying some prayers, he administered to Steve the "Sacrament of Healing"
with the Chrism and then administered the Holy Eucharist to us and then we said prayers together.
It was a miracle that Fr. F appeared when he did to bless Steve. I know it was the Good
Lord's "will" to help and lessen Steve's afflictions.

I was so worried that Steve may have had an aneurism and that we would be in the hospital
for another day this procedure. All I can say is that the Good Lord has been so wonderful to
us. Thank you Jesus.

I just wished Steve had looked for another way out .... from doing the dinner dishes.

God bless.

Trezi A. Luty MS. RD. CDN. IBCLC. RLC.
Lactation Consultant
Trezil Consulting LLC

D Rock
11-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Wow, talking about surreal. Just met you guys a few weeks ago. Hope he gets well and stays well.

STEPS
11-30-2014, 05:08 PM
I now believe how things can change in an instant

MOTOWN
11-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery , Steve is good people.

Comin' in Hot
11-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Prayers and well wishes sent towards both of you for his speedy recovery.

sailsmen
11-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Prayers for Steve.

I encourage everyone to become certified in first aid and CPR. Two weeks ago;
I walk out of the USPO and see a man standing next to an elderly woman on the ground in the parking lot. I approach her, observe that she is breathing and kneel next to her stating I am trained in first aid may I help you.

She appears slightly disoriented and tries to get up but cannot. I scan the area and determine for the moment we are safe to stay in place. I then ask her questions and scan her to determine her injuries. She has blood coming from her nose and cannot move her left arm.

Two others approach and offer to move her, which I nix not knowing if she may have a back injury, advising if she cannot get up on her own we should not help her. They go inside to inform the USPO. I take off my jacket and make a pillow for her head. Her name is Carol.

A man from the USPO comes up and ask if EMS should be called and I say yes. I ask the other man he is with to direct traffic. I verify he called EMS and tell Carol I will wait with her until the ambulance arrives, I keep my hand on her side to assure her.

The USPO man goes in the USPO and returns with a blanket. Carol declines stating my jacket is good, I know it is, it is from Jos. A. Banks, a gift from my wife.

We hear the ambulance siren and they arrive taking charge.

Ms. Carol just wants to drive to her Dr. The EMS worker tells her no we are taking you to the hospital your nose is bleeding and your arm maybe broken.

I waive good by to Carol but she was confused and doesn't notice.

Ms. Denmark
12-01-2014, 03:19 AM
Best wishes for a full return to good health, Steve! Our prayers are with you.

martyo
12-01-2014, 04:15 AM
We hope Steve feels better soon!!!

Bluerauder
12-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Trezi,

Sorry to hear about Steve's Thanksgiving experience. :( Glad to know that you were able to get him to the hospital quickly so they could figure out what was going on. Hope he is doing much better now and on the road to a full recovery. He is fortunate that you were able to catch the symptoms and get him the help that he needed.

Will keep Steve, you and the family in our thoughts and prayers as he starts his mending process.

Roadwarrior
12-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Get well soon Steve. Prayers sent.

fastblackmerc
12-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Steve, hope you get well soon!

STEPS
12-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks to all Lord knows I need all the prayers I can get

Funny just two weeks before this happen I was certified as ERT

It doesn't help when you loose your memory.

Trezi kept a cool head and took care of me I never felt so helpless .

The team at Mayo was great and the follow up is starting now

Thanks for your prayers keep them coming