PDA

View Full Version : Retiring

Bob Mathis
12-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Will last Friday I was let go from work. I was a fall guy and I was one of the top paid guy's. So they called me in to HR and said they are letting me go. No warning at all. Been in aviation for 44 years.

So looking to see what to due and jobs around here paying that kind of money there just is none.

So I have made up my mind to retire. I turn 65 next month. I am retired from the Army and with SSN I will be fine. The good thing is I have a good friend that wants me to come work for him on his hotrods and he has two airplanes that need some work. Plus no time clock and no one standing over me.:)

Marauderjack
12-17-2014, 07:13 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Bob!!:beer:

Same thing happened to me back in 1995......BEST thing that ever happened to me in my career and I ain't looked back!!:D

Now go have some FUN doin' what YOU wanna do!!:banana:

martyo
12-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Congratulations but you should have exhausted your unemployment before retiring. It is the American way!!!

cer0413
12-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Will last Friday I was let go from work. I was a fall guy and I was one of the top paid guy's. So they called me in to HR and said they are letting me go. No warning at all. Been in aviation for 44 years.

So looking to see what to due and jobs around here paying that kind of money there just is none.

So I have made up my mind to retire. I turn 65 next month. I am retired from the Army and with SSN I will be fine. The good thing is I have a good friend that wants me to come work for him on his hotrods and he has two airplanes that need some work. Plus no time clock and no one standing over me.:)
Congrats!!!!! I'm sure the family will love having you around more.

TJCOX
12-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Congratulations! I retired in 2001 and I had just four hours to make up my mind. Our company took the first 400 and then it became 400 plus after all was said and done.
I took the "package" and ran.
Thanks for your Military Service!
Good Luck!

If you come to Indianapolis, I've got a 64 Fairlane that needs some work.

Jeffonebuck
12-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Good Luck Bob, One Door closes and another one will Open

Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.

Jeronimojc
12-17-2014, 07:52 AM
The good thing is I have a good friend that wants me to come work for him on his hotrods and he has two airplanes that need some work. Plus no time clock and no one standing over me.:)

^ That sounds like a great plan. Have fun there and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastblackmerc
12-17-2014, 07:52 AM
CONGRATULATIONS BOB!!!!

Know the feeling.... retired last January 2013 after 30 years with IBM... the best thing I've ever done! Consultant work is great! 50% more pay and 75% less work and the benefits are better!

Spectragod
12-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Congratulations but you should have exhausted your unemployment before retiring. It is the American way!!!

Absolutely, I think under the current administration you can extend it to as long as your in continuing education, I say go for that 8 year plan.......

But really, sounds like you have a plan in order, and you get to "tinker" AND get paid...... I say good for you, you have worked long enough, now enjoy life a little.

71cyclone
12-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Congrats ,33 years with METRO Transit (wmata) Washington DC ,member of Amalgimated transit local 689 .-I love Detroit Diesel , Cummins ,Allison -E drives, powertrain products, but I do not mis them , and in addition to making the. AM line and pre planning maintenance . Enjoy your favorite crafts and welcome to the wonderful world of retirement ...

Bigdogjim
12-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Best of luck with plan! :up:

With out a doubt after 44 years you will miss the early AM alarm.....NOT:)

Enjoy the good life.

Mr. Man
12-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Sounds like an age related law suit to me. Settle for a couple hundred grand and go fishin'.

:congrats: :beer:

martyo
12-17-2014, 10:59 AM
With your retirement pay from the military, coupled with your Social Security benefits, plus any money you squirreled away, you should be able to do survive well as a retired man rather than working your butt off!!!

Bob Mathis
12-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Yes we will be fine just trying to get things worked out.

martyo
12-17-2014, 11:22 AM

If you feel that you were wrongfully discharged, it never hurts to speak to an attorney and most will meet with you for little or no consultation fee.

Also speak with your financial advisor.

Mr. Man
12-17-2014, 11:40 AM
If you feel that you were wrongfully discharged, it never hurts to speak to an attorney and most will meet with you for little or no consultation fee.

Also speak with your financial advisor....and I'll only take 40% of the gross for planting the idea :P :)

sailsmen
12-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Life is what you make of it.:D

There are only 2 guarantees Death and Taxes.

Bob Mathis
12-17-2014, 11:56 AM
I have a appointment tomorrow. I do feel I was.

88LTDCV351
12-17-2014, 12:03 PM
They will probably replace you with an H-1B visa holder. Even big US defense companies hire these guys for the most sensitive defense projects or move thier manufacturing overseas and wonder why our secrets end up copied by China, etc.

martyo
12-17-2014, 12:04 PM
I have a appointment tomorrow. I do feel I was.

Good luck my friend!!! I hope everything works out in your favor.

martyo
12-17-2014, 12:04 PM
There are only 2 guarantees Death and Taxes.

Three. The third is that my wife will bytch about the car parts I buy!!!

71cyclone
12-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Also speak with your financial advisor.

Yes the law Firm of' Dewy Burnham and Howe ' will take the case. ( say it fast)

martyo
12-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Yes the law Firm of' Dewy Burnham and Howe ' will take the case. ( say it fast)

I used to work at Dewey Cheatem and Howe!!!

Mr. Man
12-17-2014, 03:15 PM
I used to work at Dewey Cheatem and Howe!!!I thought you worked for Ben Dover, Esquire :D

LIGHTNIN1
12-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hear of the termination and circumstances. Sounds like you will come out the winner. I am headed down that road later this year with the USPS.

71cyclone
12-17-2014, 03:51 PM
SorryTo hear of the termination and circumstances. Sounds like you will come out the winner. I am headed down that road later this year with the USPS.

Yepp did USPS "Contractor. " Morris Transport out of Baltimore. /Decent money with Postal ID ( minimal benfits) at least 40 percent of mail is transported Not delivered by contractors. Paid by US government .

Shaijack
12-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Do it, I opened a Ho House and Bar. Loving it. I don't drink alcohol so I am ok.
Been 4 years for me.

J-MAN
12-18-2014, 05:09 AM
Good luck! I hope a lawsuit doesn't cloud what sounds like an easy well deserved retirement.

ncmm
12-18-2014, 06:03 AM

Good to hear. Most importantly keep active and think positive!

Congrats! :banana2:
:burnout:

Bob Mathis
12-18-2014, 07:04 AM
I am not going to let anything get me down. I want to just take it easy and be happy.

MM03MOK
12-18-2014, 08:09 AM
I am not going to let anything get me down. I want to just take it easy and be happy.

A good place to be, Bob.

<3

Blk Mamba
12-18-2014, 10:39 AM

You can claim unemployment while collecting SS, I did.

71cyclone
12-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Do it, I opened a Ho House and Bar. Loving it. I don't drink alcohol so I am ok.
Been 4 years for me.
You are a Smart business man :Ghettronomics 201 states- Dont Get Hi on your own Supply.

Donald
12-18-2014, 08:25 PM
In December, 2012 I was 64 3/4. By the coming April I would have 10.5 years at the current job. Went to SS to review situation. The person said I had enough quarters in to get full SS. Penalty for going at 65 vs 66 was minimal. After the new year told the boss I was retiring. 3/21/2013 I said goodbye. No more 110 mile roundtrip drive. 5/8 the first SS deposit was made. First pension deposit from employer landed 2 weeks before. With my other financials I make more now than when I was employed.

637 days and loving it!

TJCOX
12-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Congrats ,33 years with METRO Transit (wmata) Washington DC ,member of Amalgimated transit local 689 .-I love Detroit Diesel , Cummins ,Allison -E drives, powertrain products, but I do not mis them , and in addition to making the. AM line and pre planning maintenance . Enjoy your favorite crafts and welcome to the wonderful world of retirement ...

My Brother and nephews all work for INDY GO. Two are drivers and one works in training.

VMARAUDER
12-19-2014, 02:34 AM
Congratulations, pipe down and enjoy your retirement. Have fun... I find it rather easy.

71cyclone
12-19-2014, 10:14 AM
My Brother and nephews all work for INDY GO. Two are drivers and one works in training.

Thats great Cousin, Urban Mass transit is a Must ,also I have 2 relatives that Retired from Allison ,currently they have 2 pro street big block Chevys Crankin in "Nap Town"

Bob Mathis
12-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Went today and filed for my SS. Took me about 45min. I was done and out. Get my first check Feb. I was all so give a job working for a good friend on his hot rods and two airplanes. Get to come and go as I please. So retirement was the answer. My wife ask how I liked not having to get up and go to work. I love it. I now get to have fun and still do some work that I like. No stress.:):banana:

STEPS
12-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Bob I retired and moved to Fl in 2011 best thing I ever did.

MM03MOK
12-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Went today and filed for my SS. Took me about 45min. I was done and out. Get my first check Feb. I was all so give a job working for a good friend on his hot rods and two airplanes. Get to come and go as I please. So retirement was the answer. My wife ask how I liked not having to get up and go to work. I love it. I now get to have fun and still do some work that I like. No stress.:):banana:

Bob - after the trauma you went through last week, it warms my heart to read this now. You had me really, really scared!!! You had faith and let go..... and your prayers were answered!!

<3
:bunny3:

fastblackmerc
12-19-2014, 12:47 PM

CONGRATS!!!!!!

88LTDCV351
12-19-2014, 12:50 PM
I never understood why they call Indianapolis Nap Town. I remember getting a lot of flak from my old drill sergeant because I was from Indy.

burt ragio
12-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Thirty years ago I saw a dedicated co worker let go two week pre retirement. Over the years I have seen many similar insidents. Sometimes just the politics going on at work is harder to deal with than the work alone. The days of retiring from a company with a going away party & gold watch are gone forever. I am loyal to my customers friends & family.

71cyclone
12-20-2014, 11:44 AM
I never understood why they call Indianapolis Nap Town. I remember getting a lot of flak from my old drill sergeant because I was from Indy.

Well my dad who is 92 years old ,from Indianapolis told me years ago everything shut down early in the PM.:beer: