PDA

View Full Version : Challenger hell-cat crash

cer0413
12-22-2014, 07:02 PM
He didn't last long.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-crashes-colorado-083512851.html

:burnout::burnout:

PuntyMario
12-22-2014, 07:25 PM
thats about as real as it gets. it isnt even for sale here in canada yet and already its been crashed.

Joe Walsh
12-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Imagine the call to his insurance agent....
only 30 minutes after he had called him for a binder on the new car....:o

Hopefully he DID call his insurance agent for a binder on the new..."crush-tomized" Hellcat.....:eek:

cer0413
12-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Imagine the call to his insurance agent....
only 30 minutes after he had called him for a binder on the new car....:o

Hopefully he DID call his insurance agent for a binder on the new..."crush-tomized" Hellcat.....:eek:
lol!!!!! I wonder how fast he was going before he lost control?

Joe Walsh
12-22-2014, 08:53 PM
lol!!!!!
I wonder how fast he was going before he lost control?

Too fast.

I'm sure it started, as all stupid maneuvers do, with:

"Hey watch this!!!"

cer0413
12-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Too fast.

I'm sure it started, as all stupid maneuvers do:

"Hey watch this!!!"
HEY WATCH THIS!!!!
VVVRROOOOMMMM, SKUUUUUUURRRRRR, PIIIIISSSSHHHHHHH, FRRRRREEEEARRRRRRR, PEEERRRRFFFF, followed by a awwww *****, from him lol

Comin' in Hot
12-22-2014, 09:06 PM
It might be the first, it's not going to be the last. I saw pictures of it sitting at the dealership after the accident, it doesn't look as bad as the front on picture makes it look. The fenders weren't wrinkled and the hood and A pillars straight..... I highly doubt the car is totaled, it will be rebuilt.

JBeezy
12-22-2014, 09:06 PM
707HP isn't for everyone. Maybe he should have used the black key first.

Joe Walsh
12-22-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm sure that the interior is a write off as well because the seats are covered in the $h*t that the occupants expelled as the Hellcat headed for the tree at a high rate of speed.
The driver's seat also has a permanent 'pucker volcano' pulled up in the seat cushion from the driver's butt cheeks.

cer0413
12-22-2014, 09:43 PM
707HP isn't for everyone. Maybe he should have used the black key first.
black key?

PuntyMario
12-22-2014, 10:43 PM
black key?

its the regular driving key that reduces power output. cant remember by how much.

cer0413
12-22-2014, 10:47 PM
its the regular driving key that reduces power output. cant remember by how much.
I see and thank you

Mr. Man
12-22-2014, 11:45 PM
Maybe he should ask Santa for driving lessons.....................

Bigdogjim
12-23-2014, 04:20 AM
I can only think of how he will tell his buddies and co-workers? The car took it hard but the driver and passenger(s) walked away. Guess he will shopping for insurance for a while.

ncmm
12-23-2014, 06:12 AM
two pics. . .looks like he was coming over a hill turning right and lost it
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-crash-totaled-in-colorado-after-one-hour-from-purchase-90303.html#agal_1

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-crash-totaled-in-colorado-after-one-hour-from-purchase-90303.html#agal_0

cer0413
12-23-2014, 06:15 AM
two pics. . .looks like he was coming over a hill turning right and lost it
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-crash-totaled-in-colorado-after-one-hour-from-purchase-90303.html#agal_1

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-crash-totaled-in-colorado-after-one-hour-from-purchase-90303.html#agal_0
Probably was going too fast into that turn

MOTOWN
12-23-2014, 06:28 AM
This is exactly why a 700 hp car isn't a good idea for mass production , over half of the drivers on the road cannot , and will never be capable of handling that much power , as stated it certainly won't be the last accident involving one of these.

Marauderjack
12-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Testosterone + "Go Pedal" = VERY DANGEROUS!!:shake:

Chrysler should make Driving School MANDATORY to buy these things like many of the Foreign manufacturers do!!:burnout:

ncmm
12-23-2014, 09:56 AM
more pics

http://www.tflcar.com/2014/12/first-2015-dodge-challenger-hellcat-sold-in-colorado-crashed/

:burnout:

Donald
12-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Undoubtably sold with performance tires. Not good in cold temps.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/performance-tires-crack-winter-cracking/index.htm

cer0413
12-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Undoubtably sold with performance tires. Not good in cold temps.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/performance-tires-crack-winter-cracking/index.htm
I learn something new everyday

RF Overlord
12-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Guess he will be walking for a while.Fixed it for you...

TJCOX
12-23-2014, 05:05 PM
The Black Box will tell all.

chief455
12-23-2014, 06:57 PM
The Black Box will tell all.
:rolleyes: Yup. Cyber Nannies someone called it. If breaking any law or manufacturer agreement lead to the crash, will allow insurance to NOT pay, they will use the box to prove it.

Joe Walsh
12-23-2014, 07:18 PM
To be fair, back in 2003 there were a rash of similar stories and photos of newly purchased FORD GTs that had been crashed by 'driver skill impaired' chumps.

......and they were only putting out 550 HP...!.....:eek:

chief455
12-23-2014, 08:26 PM
To be fair, back in 2003 there were a rash of similar stories and photos of newly purchased FORD GTs that had been crashed by 'driver skill impaired' chumps.

......and they were only putting out 550 HP...!.....:eek:
I remember as a youngun' hearing how those crazy GTO's (late 1960's)were killing high school kids - history does repeat itself...

cer0413
12-26-2014, 11:00 PM
I remember as a youngun' hearing how those crazy GTO's (late 1960's)were killing high school kids - history does repeat itself...
That's crazy

chief455
12-27-2014, 05:06 PM
That's crazy
It's true. I was 7 years old in 69, mother saying 'stay off the street - that kid will come over the hill and hit you!'. Kid had a new dark green GTO. I'll never forget it growling the streets.
He totaled it, but was unhurt.
Another orange Judge was totaled on graduation night, lost two kids.
370hp on F70 X 14" bias ply tires same as 700HP with 20" radials?

TJCOX
12-28-2014, 02:01 PM

In 69 I purchased a 68 Torino 428CJ which was rated a 335HP. I knew what this car was capable of doing and drove it accordingly. The horsepower was underrated for Insurance
purposes. I saw a video where so many returning soldiers that were returning from the war, being involved in many fatal crashes, that the Armed Services were showing the
service members on an aircraft carrier, what a Mickey Thompson Mustang was capable of.
Does anyone here remember this? Eventually, the federal government forced the auto
manufacture's to "de-tune" the high performance street cars in the early 70's.

chief455
12-28-2014, 04:01 PM
In 69 I purchased a 68 Torino 428CJ which was rated a 335HP. I knew what this car was capable of doing and drove it accordingly. The horsepower was underrated for Insurance
purposes. I saw a video where so many returning soldiers that were returning from the war, being involved in many fatal crashes, that the Armed Services were showing the
service members on an aircraft carrier, what a Mickey Thompson Mustang was capable of.
Does anyone here remember this? Eventually, the federal government forced the auto
manufacture's to "de-tune" the high performance street cars in the early 70's.
I do remember hearing of said warning videos, and others shown by driving instructors to teenage kids before the license test.
In 1971 the horsepower ratings plummeted, static compression ratios dropped to ~8.5:1 and exhaust valve seats were hardened for unleaded fuel - now being pumped everywhere.:depress:
After that a very few truly powerful production cars snuck through, but gone by 1974.
Alas, in 1999 - thirty years later, like 1969, LS-1 and other auto makers engine power ratings were on the climb! A new horsepower war between production cars was under way.
So, if history does repeat - watch for the nanny hammer to end high horsepower in production cars pretty soon. Hellcat may well be the peak. :eek:

MM in MN
12-29-2014, 04:23 PM
One of the big reasons for the horsepower ratings drop was the change from brake, or gross, HP calculations to the SAE rating system. The old system was measured at the crank on a dyno, but allowed things like no accessories, no air cleaner, open exhaust or even headers, etc. SAE was still at the crank, but had to be pretty much as installed in the car with air cleaners, full exhaust, all belt driven components in place etc. The big reason for the drop in compression was the fed mandated switch to unleaded fuel that did not support those high compression ratios (lack of the cooling properties of the now missing tetraethyl lead as well as lower octane ratings) and the lack of compression lead to an even further decrease in HP

chief455
12-29-2014, 11:44 PM
One of the big reasons for the horsepower ratings drop was the change from brake, or gross, HP calculations to the SAE rating system. The old system was measured at the crank on a dyno, but allowed things like no accessories, no air cleaner, open exhaust or even headers, etc. SAE was still at the crank, but had to be pretty much as installed in the car with air cleaners, full exhaust, all belt driven components in place etc. The big reason for the drop in compression was the fed mandated switch to unleaded fuel that did not support those high compression ratios (lack of the cooling properties of the now missing tetraethyl lead as well as lower octane ratings) and the lack of compression lead to an even further decrease in HP
10-4
All due to regulations. Regulations set fourth to save us from ourselves.
Buying and driving unsafe, over powered gas guzzlers ;)
The auto makers were clever enough to under rate the big boy toys for insurance until around 1970, but then they changed the rating method AND really reduced the power of new cars. And regulated emissions crap onto all cars. EGR, charcoal canisters, even the little PCV valve in a valve cover was a start of federal car nannies. 1968 smog pumps were already on most California cars. Sure, some smog devices provided a mechanical improvement as well, but mandatory? Regulated? Actually reducing pollution?
It will come again.
$1500 gas guzzler tax anyone? Plug in and read the PCM emissions monitors and fail cars that don't even pollute? Money.
Way off thread topic, but it does stir the memories of how it all slowed down last time cars got too powerful and wasted fuel.
Wonder if we'll see an 800hp Hellcat and 785hp ZR-1 before a steep mandatory surcharge / tax to buy it, or just regulate power levels down again. Maybe they'll measure power at the alternator pulley this time. :D

LSp8
12-30-2014, 12:03 AM

The Black key is considered the valet key (well fob as we know actual keys are now old school) and it will limit top speed and reduce hp down to 500 which is intended for Daily Driving duty plus maximizing mileage into the 20s.

The Red key is intended to give you your $60k+ worth and disrespect every other car that pulls up next to you at the drag strip.:banana:

ckadiddle
01-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Whatta maroon. You're supposed to wreck the Hellcat during the test drive, while it still belongs to the dealer. ;)

Then again, maybe we are better off with one less Lime Green.