PDA

View Full Version : Battery CCA question

Green96
01-06-2015, 05:42 PM
This is in the lounge because the question is related to my truck, not the Marauder but the question could apply to a Marauder also.....The last time the oil was changed the battery was also tested. The battery is rated for 800 CCA, it checked 715 at about 45 degrees F. The truck is starting, but it it does crank very slowly in this cold weather.

It is only a 10% drop, I would not expect a drop in CCA on a 2 year old battery. Should I worry about it?

It is the factory battery, which I generally consider to be of questionable quality, so I do not want to ignore a warning sign and end up stranded someplace.

Bluerauder
01-06-2015, 06:15 PM
This is in the lounge because the question is related to my truck, not the Marauder but the question could apply to a Marauder also.....The last time the oil was changed the battery was also tested. The battery is rated for 800 CCA, it checked 715 at about 45 degrees F. The truck is starting, but it it does crank very slowly in this cold weather.
It is only a 10% drop, I would not expect a drop in CCA on a 2 year old battery. Should I worry about it?

It is the factory battery, which I generally consider to be of questionable quality, so I do not want to ignore a warning sign and end up stranded someplace.

A 2-year old battery should not have cranking problems at 45*F. That isn't cold by battery standards. If the truck is used infrequently, it could just be a slow drain from sitting without a routine recharge from the alternator. If this truck is getting frequent or daily exercise, I would suspect a battery that is on its way out and its ability to hold a charge has been compromised or you have some kinda of active drain in your electrical system that is bleeding the battery.

I have had good luck with factory OEM Motorcraft batteries. 8.5 years on the original BXT 65-650 in the Marauder and 3.5 on its exact replacement.

TJCOX
01-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Motorcraft battery? Has the battery even been run down previously where the engine wouldn't crank? Might check the output of the alterntor and be sure it's satisfying the battery. Battery with a full charge should read at least 12.7 VOLTS and with the engine
running should read close to 14 maybe 14.5 volts, depending on the engine rpm.
What group battery is it, 65? See if you can check the level in the cells and if low, add distilled water and recharge at 1-2 amps.
Also, have the starter checked as far as amperage draw.

Green96
01-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Group 65 Motorcraft battery. It is driven daily, but it did sit for a day before I took it in. It was a 20 minute drive to the oil change place.

I looked at the test sheet again. The voltage showed 12.1, a little low. I also looked back at past battery test sheets and it showed right at 800 CCA over the summer. Voltage was a little higher 12.4.

TJCOX
01-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Group 65 Motorcraft battery. It is driven daily, but it did sit for a day before I took it in. It was a 20 minute drive to the oil change place.

I looked at the test sheet again. The voltage showed 12.1, a little low. I also looked back at past battery test sheets and it showed right at 800 CCA over the summer. Voltage was a little higher 12.4.

Check your alternator output at the battery engine running. Walmart has sold digital volt meters that you insert into the cigar lighter and I believe they can be found in the RV section.

Green96
01-06-2015, 07:06 PM
I have one of the crappy 3 light battery and alternator tester things. It says both are OK. I have a nice multimeter, but not with me. I will check it when I get home but I thing the alternator is OK.

Mr. Man
01-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Try cleaning the battery posts first to make sure you are getting the best connection.

ctrlraven
01-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Slow crank during cold weather could also be due to a thick oil being used.

Back in November I had an 2 year old Interstate battery go dead on me, was showing 12.4 volts at rest, hour later 11.7 volts and while idling the alternator was showing 15.12 volts. Took it to the dealer as to have the alternator checked out since it was charging so high and the battery was swollen (one sign of overcharging), dealer called a few hours later and said alternator was good but it was the battery. Replaced with a new Ford battery and it has been fine since, even after a week or more parked it started right up.

Check terminals to ensure they are clean/tight and also check the grounds, something could have vibrated loose?

loud2004marquis
01-06-2015, 10:45 PM
It is the factory battery, which I generally consider to be of questionable quality

Just replaced the three year old, OEM/Motorcraft battery in the wife's Fusion last week. Surprised it went when it did was hoping to get more out of it.

I do not want to ignore a warning sign and end up stranded someplace

+1

TJCOX
01-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Just replaced the three year old, OEM/Motorcraft battery in the wife's Fusion last week. Surprised it went when it did was hoping to get more out of it.

+1

The 24 group batteries last only a maximum of three years. The 65 Group may last up to almost three times as long.