PDA

View Full Version : Panic situation

Gccch
01-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Just arrived at my remote storage location for my MM. CAR STARTED BUT GEAR SHIFT IS STUCK. sorry. Button will not depress to allow shifter movement. What could be the most obvious places to look. It is very cold about 20 F.

RubberCtyRauder
01-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Did you press foot on brake while doing this?

Gccch
01-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Brake lights are also not working.

RubberCtyRauder
01-17-2015, 02:09 PM
You have to press your foot on brake while moving gear selector. . It's a safety feature

Gccch
01-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Yes brake pedal depressed and shifter is locked. Brake light fuse is blown. Switched the fuse from the shift lock to brake lights and it blew as soon as I hit the pedal. Must need both circuits to allow the shifter to unlock?

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Bad brake light switch.

fastblackmerc
01-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Most likely it the wiring at the brake light switch attached to the pedal.

Gccch
01-17-2015, 05:01 PM
Bad brake light switch.

Is this a typical problem? Should I also check each bulb?

myrodr
01-17-2015, 05:44 PM
if you have remote start it may be the way some are taped into the brake wire. check to see if brake lights are working (lighting when pedal is pushed) good luck

Gccch
01-17-2015, 06:12 PM
if you have remote start it may be the way some are taped into the brake wire. check to see if brake lights are working (lighting when pedal is pushed) good luck

No remote start. All factory wiring throughout. The lights will light with a new fuse but the fuse blows as soon as I hit the pedal and the lights only flash then are out with the loss of the fuse.

RubberCtyRauder
01-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a faulty BOO switch/wiring with it (Brake On Off) switch, the one the pedal activates. no , I would not say it is a common issue, just one of those things

FordNut
01-17-2015, 07:02 PM
I believe you can turn the ignition to the first notch (not all the way "on") and move the shifter to "N", then start it and drive. Just remember the brake lights are out and if you put it in park you'll have to do the whole process again.

Motorhead350
01-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Turn the key to top dead center... like 12 o clock. Shift to N, start it and drive it. Your brake lights are out, but you can drive. I had this happen and my wiring was bad for the brake light switch. The switch is above the brake petal and had 2 wires I believe. You pull a little green tab and unclip the plastic.

Bruce Wayne
01-17-2015, 07:14 PM
my gear shifter has been hard to move lately also, any more info on this brake switch thinggy, is there a part no.# available, also the location and any other likely culprits which could be causing this. Thanks. It seems the button on the side of the gear shifter gets stuck.

cougarmandan
01-17-2015, 07:43 PM
If its in storage, double check that you don't have mice eating the wiring. If so, do alot of checking close because those dudes can chew in just the right spot and cause a big fire out of what used to be a nice car.

RF Overlord
01-18-2015, 05:55 AM
If its in storage, double check that you don't have mice eating the wiring. Or red squirrels...ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Gccch
01-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Turn the key to top dead center... like 12 o clock. Shift to N, start it and drive it. Your brake lights are out, but you can drive. I had this happen and my wiring was bad for the brake light switch. The switch is above the brake petal and had 2 wires I believe. You pull a little green tab and unclip the plastic.

This did the trick. Thank you for all the ideas. I managed to get it out this morning but it was raining so I had to take her out do some burn outs and put her away wet. Got the battery all charged up, threw some bounce sheets, peppermint oil, mouse poison and traps surrounding the car. Should be good for another couple months. No signs of mice present so I think the switch is just misbehaving. I'll go back armed with a replacement.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/gccch/marauder/4af3aa24c470267c4ecdd36d4d2ecf 9e_zpsad9644e3.jpg

Bruce Wayne
01-18-2015, 10:00 AM
would the brake light switch have anything to do with the button on the gear selector not engaging?

justbob
01-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Re read post 6,7,11,13,17,19

Yes.

Builder Of Badassery

jwibbity
01-18-2015, 11:00 AM
would the brake light switch have anything to do with the button on the gear selector not engaging?

YES!!! IF the car doesn't know your hitting the brake then it won't allow you to shift out of park!!!

RubberCtyRauder
01-18-2015, 11:00 AM
In my opinion, it is better to take the battery out and store it indoors/basement..if the battery freezes once, it's gonna be toast. Put a trickle charger on it when at hme so that it is fresh when you go to the car. my Marauder is in my garage and the battery is out of it and so it is out in my truck which is outside but not driven thru winter.

Gccch
01-18-2015, 11:51 AM
It is in the basement garage of a summer house. Heat is on in the house so the pipes won't freeze. It won't get cold enough to freeze the battery.

Gccch
03-01-2015, 07:24 PM
I finally got around to ordering the brake light switch. It came in a kit with instructions to change the wiring harness also. I received kit SK-3f1t13480-AB. TSB 02-05-01 is noted in the instruction. Can anyone explain what this is about? I thought the recommendations here were for replacing th switch. Is blow brake light fuse linked to the TSB and harness?

Thanks,

Gerry24
03-01-2015, 10:26 PM
Replace the brake light switch and go from there... Had the same problem minus the fuse and shifter on an 08 MGM LS I used to have...

Gerry24
03-01-2015, 10:27 PM
To change the switch... You tube it! It worked for me

fastblackmerc
03-02-2015, 05:33 AM
I finally got around to ordering the brake light switch. It came in a kit with instructions to change the wiring harness also. I received kit SK-3f1t13480-AB. TSB 02-05-01 is noted in the instruction. Can anyone explain what this is about? I thought the recommendations here were for replacing th switch. Is blow brake light fuse linked to the TSB and harness?

Thanks,

Replace the switch and the provided harness.

marauderthis
03-02-2015, 01:29 PM
20 degrees wow unless it is absolutely necessary I would never start my MM when its that cold.

Oh by the way --- when the car is nice and cold again is there any chance you can remove the metal plug on the cross over tube and check to see if the top portion of your radiator is completely void of fluid? (anti freeze)
Dont open the coolant reservoir when the COT plug is removed!!!

These cars have peculiar issues with the coolant levels when they get exposed to extreme cold. And yes even after its been methodically burped.
Almost forgot If fluid is missing fill it for now then burp it when the weather is much warmer.

Just arrived at my remote storage location for my MM. CAR STARTED BUT GEAR SHIFT IS STUCK. sorry. Button will not depress to allow shifter movement. What could be the most obvious places to look. It is very cold about 20 F.

fastblackmerc
03-02-2015, 02:38 PM
20 degrees wow unless it is absolutely necessary I would never start my MM when its that cold.

Oh by the way --- when the car is nice and cold again is there any chance you can remove the metal plug on the cross over tube and check to see if the top portion of your radiator is completely void of fluid? (anti freeze)
Dont open the coolant reservoir when the COT plug is removed!!!

These cars have peculiar issues with the coolant levels when they get exposed to extreme cold. And yes even after its been methodically burped.
Almost forgot If fluid is missing fill it for now then burp it when the weather is much warmer.

Why would he want to check the coolant level?

The problem the OP is having is not being able to get it in gear.................. nothing to do with the cooling system.

marauderthis
03-02-2015, 03:30 PM
FB - yes- of - course - not -getting - into - gear - has nothing to do with cooling system.
This individuals car was exposed to very frigid temperatures.
Just want to alert him that something more serious may come to bite him in the rear end.

Why would he want to check the coolant level?

The problem the OP is having is not being able to get it in gear.................. nothing to do with the cooling system.

Gccch
03-02-2015, 05:25 PM
I don't really want to avoid getting any further information about the brake light issue, as I would like to understand why the harness must be replaced.... I see a new thread on cold weather.

Brake details if you have them!

fastblackmerc
03-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Sometimes the harness and connector will get damaged. I have seen the connector at the switch melted. If the connector looks OK just replaced the switch.

Gccch
04-05-2015, 06:40 AM
I am resurrecting this subject since I took my car out of storage yesterday and had a chance to change the brake switch. In January When I checked on the car I was blowing the fuse #22 when I hit the brakes. So before doing anything with the car yesterday I changed the brake switch. Hitting the brake pedal does not blow the fuse, but the flasher switch will blow it. Directional and brake will not, but they will not light up. The turning lights WILL light up when I hit the directional switch, but no flashing signal.

I'm thinking this must be the "Multi-function" flasher switch. Any suggestions?

fastblackmerc
04-05-2015, 06:51 AM
I am resurrecting this subject since I took my car out of storage yesterday and had a chance to change the brake switch. In January When I checked on the car I was blowing the fuse #22 when I hit the brakes. So before doing anything with the car yesterday I changed the brake switch. Hitting the brake pedal does not blow the fuse, but the flasher switch will blow it. Directional and brake will not, but they will not light up. The turning lights WILL light up when I hit the directional switch, but no flashing signal.

I'm thinking this must be the "Multi-function" flasher switch. Any suggestions?

You have a short.

Check the wiring harness at the front left near the headlights.

Gccch
04-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Under guidance from another forum member I have removed the 12 pin connector from the multi-function switch on the steering column. When I engage The flasher switch the fuse #22 blows after a few cycles of flashing. I don't have the wiring diagram so not sure what we isolated with the removal of the 12 pin. I think it was to remove the front section?

Anyway, I still have a short in the flasher circuit in case anyone has more ideas to pinpoint the issue.

Badass_forever
04-11-2015, 06:30 AM
when it comes to wiring all bets are off. But in most cases, things like this. its something simple. if you are blowing fuses due to lighting issues, IE brake lights and turn lights, then you have a possible bad connection at a bulb.

The only way to really find these type of problems is to first check the basics, then you will need a volt meter to start probing around and see where power and ground are crossing.

Gccch
04-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Solved it! A few weeks before going into storage I had. My rear bumper repainted. To fix a nasty scratch. They removed the bumper and rear light fixtures. They pinched the **** out of one side. I spliced them in good with solder and shrink tubing. Found a couple more fuses that got blown in the process. Once I got the flashers going it was just fuses. Now on to the Trilogy!

fastblackmerc
04-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Solved it! A few weeks before going into storage I had. My rear bumper repainted. To fix a nasty scratch. They removed the bumper and rear light fixtures. They pinched the **** out of one side. I spliced them in good with solder and shrink tubing. Found a couple more fuses that got blown in the process. Once I got the flashers going it was just fuses. Now on to the Trilogy!

Glad you got it fixed. :beer:

I should have asked if you had any work done recently.

Gccch
04-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Yeah it all made sense in the end, but the issue did not show up for several weeks after that job was done. I guess the insulation had to ooze out so partial contact could be made. I'm glad this one is over.

1Marauder
04-13-2015, 08:54 PM

Makes perfect sense now!