PDA

View Full Version : Question for the smart people

Motorhead350
01-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Over the past few winters I have been applying motor oil around my door panels to keep salt off of the car. It's worked great and I have no rust down there. I was wondering if applying wax instead of oil would have the same effect. The oil is fine, but it smells for about a week. I have a road trip coming up this weekend and haven't had the time to do this until today.

Let me know if Turtle Wax can do the same thing. Otherwise I guess I could buy an air freshener until the oil smell is gone, worst case.

Thanks in advance.

Zack
01-28-2015, 11:29 AM
Before you get laughed off the board, let me explain.
I told Dom my uncle used to remove his door panels before every winter on his 79 T-Bird and shoot some oil into the door.
The doors were rust free for the entire 20 years he drove it in the midwest year round.

Sounds like Dom is applying oil on the outside, which is not what I explained.

fastblackmerc
01-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Of course wax will work.

You can also use PAM spray (vegetable oil in a can). Does the same thing as oil and most likely smells better!

Old drag racers trick --- liberal coating of PAM on the rear quarters behind the wheels will make the burnout rubber wash off.

Accumulator
01-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Over the past few winters I have been applying motor oil around my door panels to keep salt off of the car. It's worked great and I have no rust down there. I was wondering if applying wax instead of oil would have the same effect..

While I'm all in favor of waxing the areas that show, wax won't wick into the seam the way oil will.

I'd pop off the door panels and spray the oil, or a rustproofing agent that wouldn't need redone as often, inside the doors to seep into the seams from the inside, and then wax the outside part. But that's a bit of a project and probably not what you're after right now..

fastblackmerc
01-28-2015, 11:40 AM
While I'm all in favor of waxing the areas that show, wax won't wick into the seam the way oil will.

I'd pop off the door panels and spray the oil, or a rustproofing agent that wouldn't need redone as often, inside the doors to seep into the seams from the inside, and then wax the outside part. But that's a bit of a project and probably not what you're after right now..

Make sure you don't clog the drain holes in the door.

Vortech347
01-28-2015, 11:47 AM
I tried the Pam on the rear bumper trick while running slicks on my fox. It didn't do **** except make a horrible mess including stuck on rubber from the burnout box.

Masking tape is still king for that use/application.

Don't have any input on oil in the door though. I would think these newer cars you wouldn't need to do that. I've had mine for 7 Utah winters where they use salt like its going out of style and haven't had any salt related rust/issues. I would much rather use wax though, the oil smell would get old FAST.

Motorhead350
01-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Before you get laughed off the board, let me explain.
I told Dom my uncle used to remove his door panels before every winter on his 79 T-Bird and shoot some oil into the door.
The doors were rust free for the entire 20 years he drove it in the midwest year round.

Sounds like Dom is applying oil on the outside, which is not what I explained.

No, I simply did a poor job explaining what I do. There is zero oil on the outside of the doors.

Glad to hear wax will work. I will do this later.

CHSurvivor
01-28-2015, 11:54 AM
As a Canadian who "Krown" rust proofs all my vehicles. Oil guarding is far cheaper than rust repair. Tough it up with the smell. Buy an air freshener, roll down the window....fart...whatever works. We canadians deal with this every year...no big deal.

mad1stgen
01-28-2015, 12:39 PM
I used Fluid Film on my truck underbody. It works perfect. Very similar to Canadian Krown. Zero rust forming.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Spray-AEROSOL-CAN/dp/B001OKBFBS

It's usually available locally for about $10 a can.

Jeronimojc
01-28-2015, 01:30 PM
No, I simply did a poor job explaining what I do. There is zero oil on the outside of the doors.

Glad to hear wax will work. I will do this later.

You are going to put wax where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motorhead350
01-28-2015, 01:45 PM
You are going to put wax where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the door panels, what covers the rockers when the door is closed. I go up all the way to about the height of the seat. Sorry I cannot explain exactly where this goes, but imagine you have opened a door... you see the plastic interior panel and you oil the surface around the plastic especially towards the bottom where salt would be. Sometimes I will get the rocker too.

It works great.

stevengerard
01-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Its typical of many Porsche owners to coat the under carriage with kerosene.

Bad_S55
01-28-2015, 02:01 PM
My cousin always used grease. Same principle, different substance.

RF Overlord
01-28-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure any of that is necessary, Dom.

Mary's car, which as you know used to belong to Sergnt Mac, spent winters in Chicago and has been driven every winter here since she bought it. No rust forming anywhere except the edge of the wheel opening in the left front fender. That must be a common point as my 2000 Grand Ma is doing the same thing.

fastblackmerc
01-28-2015, 05:48 PM
By the door panels, what covers the rockers when the door is closed. I go up all the way to about the height of the seat. Sorry I cannot explain exactly where this goes, but imagine you have opened a door... you see the plastic interior panel and you oil the surface around the plastic especially towards the bottom where salt would be. Sometimes I will get the rocker too.

It works great.

If it works great, why are you asking us?

Motorhead350
01-28-2015, 06:38 PM
If it works great, why are you asking us?

The original question was if car wax had the same effect as engine oil.

Marauderjack
01-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Why not clean the inside real well and use this stuff??

http://www.amazon.com/AsSeenOnTV-com-FSCL20-Flex-Seal-Clear/dp/B00EBY4VJ2

fastblackmerc
01-29-2015, 04:58 AM

That looks like a winner!

Motorhead350
01-29-2015, 06:07 AM
I'll have to try that next year. I already took care of the car yesterday.

Thank you though.

J-MAN
01-29-2015, 08:18 AM

Be sure and do a video.