PDA

View Full Version : I need help on Lincoln LS Tranny info

Stephen Soulsby
04-26-2004, 04:05 PM
I have a 2000 Lincoln LS6 with the Getrag 221 transmission. There was a production change in the transmission on 11-18-99. The ID # was XR83-7002-AA and it changed to XR83-7002-AB. Does anybody have access to information on what the change in the tranny was? The reason I ask is because my production date is 8-99, and my tranny does not have overdrive (5th gear is Drive). I theorize that the production change was the addition of overdrive. I'm getting tired of taching at 3,200rpm when I'm cruising on the interstate and I'd like to be able to change my rear ratio from 3.07 to 3.58 to help the little V6 get a better launch.

Any information is helpful. I have spent hours searching and I have not been able to find info. And before somebody suggest it, I don't want to pay $35 and join LLSOC.com. Although if anybody has a membership and can ask for me, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sactown
04-26-2004, 06:55 PM
... And before somebody suggest it, I don't want to pay $35 and join LLSOC.com. Although if anybody has a membership and can ask for me, that would be appreciated.

Thanks
You read my mind, but I think they have a guest/trial 30 day membership.

Stephen Soulsby
04-26-2004, 07:17 PM
You read my mind, but I think they have a guest/trial 30 day membership.

Already had two trials (my name and my wife's name). I just didn't see $35 worth of info for a website that offers little more info than MM.net does. What I don't get is why nobody has had the bright idea yet to start a free BB service for Lincoln LS owners. I would if I knew how.

mtnh
04-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Already had two trials (my name and my wife's name). I just didn't see $35 worth of info for a website that offers little more info than MM.net does. What I don't get is why nobody has had the bright idea yet to start a free BB service for Lincoln LS owners. I would if I knew how.

I'm a member there, and you're correct, the info now available there is marginally worth the cost of membership. For free info, try asking on http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@147.1FgmcEVnvvr.2@.eea 34f2/13529

There are over 13,500 posts there and people are always asking new stuff and getting answers. Just do not mention llsoc.com there, or your post will be deleted. Then you won't get any feedback.

I can tell you this: the final drive ratio is unchanged from early build ls manuals to the end of the run in 2002.

Why you would want to move your cruising speed engine rpms down below the power band is my question. The car is a dawg under 3K rpm and leaving it alone at least assures you of a quick step up to passing speed when you are cruising at 3K. Not sure about yours, but mine (8/99 build) rapidly accelerates from 65-95 the way it is set up. That little 3 litre 24 valve engine needs to breathe at speed in order to make power, alot like the MM does with its 32 valves. :rasta:

Mike