PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Make Up My Mind: Opinions & Advice Appreciated

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Here's the issue:

My DD is an 03 Aviator with 148,000 miles. It's a V8 and takes premium gas. The air conditioning quit (haven't had it diagnosed). The check transmission light is coming on at around 60 MPH. (This is an issue we are in the process of trying to chase down.) It may turn out I need a new tranny. There is a rust issue in one rear wheel well. (Not readily visible so doesn't detract from cosmetic appearance.) And the heated seats don't work. Otherwise the truck has only minor exterior flaws and the interior is better than good (only usual wear on drivers seat otherwise looks in good shape) It is comfortable and cushy and rides like a Lincoln. I enjoy driving it.

I am torn. I can replace the tranny and fix the air and hope it goes another 100,000 miles or cut my losses. I am not interested in spending huge amounts of money so maybe spending $20-30 K. I am open to new or used. Also my position requires me to attend conferences and meetings and represent my company so I need something presentable. (At work my parking spot is next to a Jag and a GTR at the high end and late model Nissans and Audis etc.)

Yesterday I went to my Ford dealer and drove a 2012 Escape limited with 30,000K and also a 2014 6 cylinder Mustang. They also have a 6 cylinder used 2013 Mustang Convertible with 20,000K all at about the same price point. I am considering test driving a Mustang 5.0 (2015) for a lot more $$ but it would be a lot more respectable and fun...and I like to have fun driving. Not going to be able to afford my dream car right now (and I don't even know what that might be)....so I need to decide on a course of action. BTW I don't like the Fusion or Focus at all.

As you can see, I'm all over the map with this. I can't even nail down if I want an SUV or a car. (I've even considered Kia Optima or Subaru). Also, I do live where it snows and I must get in to work, about a 25 mile drive. What do you think? Fix my Aviator or not? If not, what to consider buying? All advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

RubberCtyRauder
03-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Mustang will be quite horrible in the snow. they are just too light in the back end. I have a Subaru WRX for DD they are all wheel drive..it still takes premium gas but in the summer I avg.24mpg, winter has avg 22 mpg. and I'm 65-70% hwy for work commute (31 miles one way) I have dedicated steel wheels and snows on it and it drives circles around on the slop. I can easily out drive the conditions if I wanted. My sister has a 10 yr old Subaru Forester with 150k, it takes regular gas..only turbo models need premium. She hasn't had any trouble with it until just last week when the head gasket went..maybe due to age, maybe due to the minus 0 cold we have been having.

a lot of decent choices out there...I got mine for a deal as it had 15k miles on it and the dealer wasn't a Subaru dealer.

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 08:33 AM
^^^I know you're right about the rear wheel drive Mustang doing poorly in snow conditions. The Subaru is a solid option. I'm not so concerned with gas mileage so even one that takes premium is OK. Thanks for the input.

RubberCtyRauder
03-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Here's mine last Aug. when I bought it, 2014 hatchback , which they discontinued for 2015 (the hatchback) Mine has leather, heated seats,sunroof, navigation. Only avail. as a manual trans. not sure about 2015 models if auto avail. within the wrx line.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu92/mdnos/photo%202_zpsfa7gam1r.jpg

03blackvegas
03-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Buy another Marauder.

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Here's mine last Aug. when I bought it, 2014 hatchback , which they discontinued for 2015 (the hatchback) Mine has leather, heated seats,sunroof, navigation. Only avail. as a manual trans. not sure about 2015 models if auto avail. within the wrx line.

That is sweet! You got all the bells and whistles I'd be looking for and i love driving a manual so no prob there. Thanks for sharing. Got a Subaru dealer 15 miles away so will take a look.

boatmangc
03-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Subie FTW!

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Buy another Marauder. I got two already. Can't bring myself to drive them in winter conditions, as unreasonable as that prolly sounds. I do have a 4WD pick up I can drive if needed (and I do love to drive it, but it's a king cab with 8 ft bed so a ***** to park at the office).

justbob
03-01-2015, 09:18 AM
After all these years I've known you Paula it still turns me on hearing you reference auto parts in short term I.E. Tranny.. :)

With that said, image is everything. I think it would be in your best interest to put some money in the Aviator and carry on.

But if your also looking for some change, I couldn't speak more highly of the used 2013 EDGE AWD limited we picked up for Mel for $29,900 at Carmax two years ago. Awesome power with the 3.5L V6, eye peeling blue, option list that's over the top, unreal traction, and best yet only '87 octane.. If money weren't a concern we would have looked into the Explorer Sport for more room, but this one serves us well. Besides, the EDGE is built off the Fusion chassis and rides very confident but doesn't toss you around like a true SUV would.

Builder Of Badassery

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 09:33 AM
After all these years I've known you Paula it still turns me on hearing you reference auto parts in short term I.E. Tranny.. :)

With that said, image is everything. I think it would be in your best interest to put some money in the Aviator and carry on.

But if your also looking for some change, I couldn't speak more highly of the used 2013 EDGE AWD limited we picked up for Mel for $29,900 at Carmax two years ago. Awesome power with the 3.5L V6, eye peeling blue, option list that's over the top, unreal traction, and best yet only '87 octane.. If money weren't a concern we would have looked into the Explorer Sport for more room, but this one serves us well. Besides, the EDGE is built off the Fusion chassis and rides very confident but doesn't toss you around like a true SUV would.

Builder Of Badassery I was hoping you'd pipe up, Bob. I have always respected your opinion. (And who doesn't love a guy who's turned on by short cut car talk....which I learned right here from you guys. We can talk trannys, slush boxes, jamming gears as much as you want, my friend:cool:) Your point about image is well taken. (plus the Aviator is paid off). My heart wants to keep it. On the other hand, I will take a look at the Edge. You made a great case for it. Thanks.

whitey
03-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Fix the lincoln for a thousand or few.
Or
Buy a new 20-30 thousand dollar car.

As of right now, if you're not sure what you even want, it would not be a good decision to drop money on something you may end up regretting. If you are still sassyfied[emoji12] with the lincoln, fix it. If its time for a change, go out browsing around, and keep your mind open. Hyundai has IMHO stepped their game up and offers high end commodities for a lower to mid range price tag.

Or get a used ferrari testarossa and watch people drool.

RF Overlord
03-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Can't bring myself to drive them in winter conditions, as unreasonable as that prolly sounds. Not unreasonable at all, Paula. NJ uses salt on the roads, right? :nono:

As to your current dilemma, find out that's wrong with the Aviator's transmission and AC before you decide. They may be relatively minor and therefore more cost-effective to keep it, especially since you say your heart wants to. :)

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Your points are well taken, Steve. I really am all over the map and need to look into what it will cost to fix up my Aviator. But I do agree with your thoughts about Hyundai. Eric is pretty impressed with the Equus and I did look at a sweet 5 liter Genesis coupe a couple years ago. That could be an option.

And yes, Bob, the salt is a big factor here. That and smashing a bumper while skidding on ice....:) But you got the same issues I'm sure.

Shaijack
03-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Or spend the $300.00 and take a chance on my DRT at the Louisville raffle. I was in the situation you are talking about with my F-150 Kings Ranch. I spent the 2K and got the stuff fixed. But since you won the 500 million Power Ball, you should get the RR pick up truck with the built in BMW spare car instead of a spare tire....

lji372
03-01-2015, 10:18 AM
i would put 3-4 k into the aviator or go with an awd edge. if you haven't test driven one do it, you will kick that escape idea to the curb.

my wife has the awd edge and i love it.
we test drove the mkx with 20" wheels and the edge with 18" and were immediately sold on the edge.

also, i'll throw out the first $8.00 offer on the aviator :D

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Or spend the $300.00 and take a chance on my DRT at the Louisville raffle. I was in the situation you are talking about with my F-150 Kings Ranch. I spent the 2K and got the stuff fixed. But since you won the 500 million Power Ball, you should get the RR pick up truck with the built in BMW spare car instead of a spare tire.... LOL Barry. No one was supposed to know!

i would put 3-4 k into the aviator or go with an awd edge. if you haven't test driven one do it, you will kick that escape idea to the curb.

my wife has the awd edge and i love it.
we test drove the mkx with 20" wheels and the edge with 18" and were immediately sold on the edge.

also, i'll throw out the first $8.00 offer on the aviator :D

Hey Jerry, that's $8 bucks more than the dealer would give me on trade in. :o

And I am really taking to heart that a lot of you guys think it's worth fixing the Aviator. I do appreciate the input. And I've heard some good advice about about plan b if I don't opt to keep it. The Subie, Hyundai and Edge are all worth looking at. I agree that the Escape is way down the list. The V6 that I drove had some nice bells & whistles, low miles and priced competitively but at the end of the day it's an Escape. Pretty ho hum.

Pat
03-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Keeping or selling the Aviator, that is the question. The machine is at the point where it will become a money pit. Get something newer (> 3/4 years) with about 20-25K on the meter.

Best to you, in whichever choice you make.

Pat

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Keeping or selling the Aviator, that is the question. The machine is at the point where it will become a money pit. Get something newer (> 3/4 years) with about 20-25K on the meter.

Best to you, in whichever choice you make.

Pat That's definitely the decision, Pat. My head agrees with getting something newer...but it won't be a Lincoln or even close so around I go...

Fastbob
03-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Take a look at a used Infiniti G37x 2009 or newer. I bought one for my wife new in 2009 and we have put 50,000 totally trouble free miles on it. It has never returned to the dealership for anything. Used prices for low mileage examples are very good. 328 HP V-6 with 7 speed auto. The "x" means all wheel drive. I would buy another one in a red hot second.

Ms. Denmark
03-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Take a look at a used Infiniti G37x 2009 or newer. I bought one for my wife new in 2009 and we have put 50,000 totally trouble free miles on it. It has never returned to the dealership for anything. Used prices for low mileage examples are very good. 328 HP V-6 with 7 speed auto. The "x" means all wheel drive. I would buy another one in a red hot second.
Thanks! That one was not even on my radar. I'll take a look for sure. Gotta find an Infinity dealer in the area. Not a lot of choice close by where I live. (We have Ford/Lincoln, Chevy and Dodge locally.) Lots more choice 15- 30+ miles away. Appreciate your input!

Lowndex
03-01-2015, 01:54 PM
All weather car, reliability, good performance, fun ride = WRX Subaru. My wife's car is a new 2015 Subaru. I live in sunny CA, so I do not have your weather issues (as much). However, nothing is better than my Marauder. If I wish, I have the money to spend $100K on a ride. I chose to upgrade my Marauder and drive it for another 10 years. I even have a re-paint planned (same color).

Like the earlier advice states, you need to decide what ride excites you the most. Spend the time, drive some other cars and you will make a good choice.

Comin' in Hot
03-01-2015, 02:28 PM
I would keep the aviator, know what you have you know what's wrong with it we could all be fixed for less than $5000 worst case scenario and that's a HIGH figure

jlangmaid
03-01-2015, 02:41 PM
If it was my money, a certified used all wheel drive MKZ with ecoboost. 6 yr/100k warranty.

Buick regal gs awd, or the caddys are nice too. All are classy rides.

For more ground clearance, MKT, flex, or explorer awd, or f150 crew.

My uncle replaced his aviator with a MKX, and it gets him around no problem in up state Minnesota.

Personally I'd check on how much to fix the aviator first, since it's a nice ride.

1Marauder
03-01-2015, 02:45 PM
what about searching for another low mile lincoln aviator?

Sell yours, and pay the spread.

I drove one of them for a feww months and I loved it. Nothing beats the solidness and the quiet ride. Not sure moving to a sweet small hot hatch will give you the comfort you are used to.

Bigdogjim
03-01-2015, 03:18 PM
I just drove a rented Ford Flex and really liked it:)

Bruce Wayne
03-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Fix the Lincoln or buy that 5.0 L Mustang if you want a real car, put snow tires on in winter and you'll be fine . F***k the Suberu

cer0413
03-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Damn that thang clane! (clean)

chief455
03-01-2015, 06:46 PM
+1 = these are great value on the used market, most in mint shape. G37xS has AWD and the Sport package - very nice cars!
My sister had a 2012 Escape and traded it in with 30k, and then wished she had kept it - so actually traded her 2014 in for another 2012, this time a Limited, with only 20k, and is happy again.
Two decent choices for change.

Bad_S55
03-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Like Bob & Jerry mentioned, the Edge is great. Smooth & sound, decent milage, all the things you want for a daily. I had an aunt with one when they first came out in '07, and as far as I know, it was always reliable.

I've always liked the new generation Taurus, although I can't offer anything about driving one. Good looks that would blend right in with any Jaguar or Nissan.

sailsmen
03-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Buy a used car with a manufacturers extended warranty. No logical reason to buy new.

Spectragod
03-01-2015, 08:25 PM
My wife had a MKX for about 6 months, electrical problems like you wouldn't believe, dealer couldn't fix it, traded it for a 15' Explorer Sport, she's happy, it goes through the snow and drive's like a car.

Either fix your Aviator (which is less than car payments), or look for a certified on a lot, your choice of automakers....

SergntMac
03-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Fix it.

Aviator is a good car, won't you agree? Add up the good stuff before you call it done.

Ms. Denmark
03-02-2015, 04:09 AM
...nothing is better than my Marauder. I chose to upgrade my Marauder and drive it for another 10 years.

Like the earlier advice states, you need to decide what ride excites you the most.... You're right. Love my Marauder! If weather was not an issue I'd be driving it now. ...

I would keep the aviator, know what you have you know what's wrong with it we could all be fixed for less than $5000 worst case scenario and that's a HIGH figure Thanks Derek. That is so true.

If it was my money, a certified used all wheel drive MKZ with ecoboost. 6 yr/100k warranty....
Personally I'd check on how much to fix the aviator first, since it's a nice ride. MKZ is an idea I would consider. Thanks!

what about searching for another low mile lincoln aviator?....
I drove one of them for a few months and I loved it. Nothing beats the solidness and the quiet ride. Not sure moving to a sweet small hot hatch will give you the comfort you are used to. You make 2 good points here. First, I would seriously consider another Aviator if a nice lower miles one came up. And second,I would have to give a lot of thought before changing over to a completely different style of DD.

I just drove a rented Ford Flex and really liked it:) We sat in one a few years back...figured we could live in it if push came to shove....talk about nice & roomy. But no, it's not my style...

Fix the Lincoln or buy that 5.0 L Mustang if you want a real car, put snow tires on in winter and you'll be fine . My thoughts exactly.:cool:

+1 = these are great value on the used market, most in mint shape. G37xS has AWD and the Sport package - very nice cars!
My sister had a 2012 Escape and traded it in with 30k, and then wished she had kept it - so actually traded her 2014 in for another 2012, this time a Limited, with only 20k, and is happy again.
Two decent choices for change. I'm planning on heading to an Infinity dealer this week to check them out This is one car I never even considered until now but looks like a contender for sure! (The Escape is a practical choice and I could see why people like them ...but pales after having the Aviator

Like Bob & Jerry mentioned, the Edge is great. Smooth & sound, decent milage, all the things you want for a daily.

I've always liked the new generation Taurus, although I can't offer anything about driving one. Good looks that would blend right in with any Jaguar or Nissan. I will def consider the Edge. Drove one several years ago which was underwhelming, but the newer ones are worth a look for sure. Never drove a newer Taurus....

Buy a used car with a manufacturers extended warranty. No logical reason to buy new. Agreed!

Ms. Denmark
03-02-2015, 04:19 AM
My wife had a MKX for about 6 months, electrical problems like you wouldn't believe, dealer couldn't fix it, traded it for a 15' Explorer Sport, she's happy, it goes through the snow and drive's like a car.

Either fix your Aviator (which is less than car payments), or look for a certified on a lot, your choice of automakers.... Thanks for the heads up on MKX, Darren. An Explorer Sport would be a good replacement if I don't fix the Aviator. Haven't seriously looked for one...

Fix it.

Aviator is a good car, won't you agree? Add up the good stuff before you call it done. Thanks, Mac. I do agree! Good advice.

Spectragod
03-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up on MKX, Darren. An Explorer Sport would be a good replacement if I don't fix the Aviator. Haven't seriously looked for one...

Thanks, Mac. I do agree! Good advice.

And if you get the bug for speed, plenty of tunes out there to bump the boost from 5psi to 22 psi, makes it a smidgen more zippy. :D :burnout:

1Marauder
03-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Infinity is a great choice. I'd move up and try the m35s or m35x (all wheel), bigger more plush ride. chief 455 is correct. These are wonderful cars. I leased the M35s sport+tech version for work, had it three years and it was heavinly.

I couldn't afford to keep it as the resale/lease return price was so high.

Fast, fun, quite, could burn rubber on demand, and had a stearo where the SNL cowbell skit felt like it was in your backseat.

felt soul-less, but was a wonderful car.

michael ward
03-05-2015, 03:03 AM
I would stay American and look at 2015 Ford Edge is redesigned) or Lincoln mkc or mkz all come in awd look great and ride very nice with good mpg's best of luck hope you find a new love:) oh and Explorer is nice also!!

Ms. Denmark
03-05-2015, 03:42 AM
Infinity is a great choice. I'd move up and try the m35s or m35x (all wheel), bigger more plush ride. chief 455 is correct. These are wonderful cars. I leased the M35s sport+tech version for work, had it three years and it was heavinly.

I couldn't afford to keep it as the resale/lease return price was so high.

Fast, fun, quite, could burn rubber on demand, and had a stearo where the SNL cowbell skit felt like it was in your backseat.

felt soul-less, but was a wonderful car. Took a look at Infinity but with our recent weather couldn't do a test drive. Wasn't quite as impressed by looks and interior as I had hoped. Soul-less sort of fits.

BTW "needs more cowbell" still makes me laugh out loud every time.:D

I would stay American and look at 2015 Ford Edge is redesigned) or Lincoln mkc or mkz all come in awd look great and ride very nice with good mpg's best of luck hope you find a new love:) oh and Explorer is nice also!! I'm thinking that staying with an AWD SUV is the way I should go and I am partial to American.

As a matter of fact I am leaning pretty heavily toward putting in a reman tranny and keeping my Aviator. With all the snow/ice/blizzards we've had this winter I have felt completely safe and in control during my daily 60 mile round trip commute....plus it's so comfortable. 2 nights ago it took me 2 hours to get home but I was kicking back and relaxing behind the wheel while others were white knuckle driving because of horrible weather and road conditions. And a big factor in making a decision is that I MUST get into work no matter what. Our Governor has declared another state of emergency for today but I'll be heading out on the road shortly.

MMBLUE
03-05-2015, 04:17 AM
Ms. D.

In regards to you initial question.

Lots of things for you to consider:

I would try the VW or Audi route especially TDI save boatloads of dinero on fuel. A3 TDI or Jetta sportwagon or Passat. ( Have TDI's for DD for years and love them )

Also try Volvo. Nice safe crossover C70 I think?

Subaru 4WD in sedan, wagon, and crossover.

All pre-owned of course from reputable companies.

Ms. Denmark
03-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Ms. D.

In regards to you initial question.

Lots of things for you to consider:

I would try the VW or Audi route especially TDI save boatloads of dinero on fuel. A3 TDI or Jetta sportwagon or Passat. ( Have TDI's for DD for years and love them )

Also try Volvo. Nice safe crossover C70 I think?

Subaru 4WD in sedan, wagon, and crossover.

All pre-owned of course from reputable companies.

Thanks for some other options to consider. (I have never driven an Audi but they have some great looking vehicles.) With the really bad roads we've had this winter, I know I need something sure-footed with good ground clearance so these might work. However my Aviator is looking better and better to me. We'll see.....thanks!

Cheeseheadbob
03-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Paula, for what it is worth, if you will be carting around clients/coworkers, the Subie would be a mistake. I had a 2012 WRX Sti wagon. It was a blast to drive but the interior was as cheap as cheap gets.

My favorite car and most practical was my CTS 4 wagon. I had a set of Blizzaks on it for the winter and it could go almost anywhere. The ride was very comfortable, but not too soft. Typical Cadillac. Ultimate luxury, decent mileage and plenty of power. Lots of aftermarket cosmetic goodies for it as well.

Just thought I would throw it into the mix. Have fun!

Ms. Denmark
03-06-2015, 05:35 PM
^^^^Ha! So you didn't go for the V, Bob? 660+ HP:D Eric has mentioned the Caddy station wagon to me before. I didn't like the CTSV sedan that I drove. Never looked at a wagon. And you make a great point...I do need to take people around with me every once in a while. I like a nice interior and decent sound system. We're going back to check out Infinity one more time and take a test drive tomorrow. There might be a Cadillac dealer in that general area so we'll stop there too. Thanks for your advice!

1Marauder
03-07-2015, 02:01 AM
And I must reiterate, while it felt souless, it was because it was non-stop bulletproof, fast and fun... Wrapped in a limited understated personality.

The service (I only needed oil changes for all three years) was out of this world. They had a similar car WAITING for me to use while the changed the oil, every time, no charge.

The infinity service was the best I've ever experienced. No waiting what so ever, no paperwork shuffle, they just walked me around my car, and then opened the door to the new loaner

When I bought a new Toyota highlander for work, and went to get it serviced, I was hugely disappointed, at their two hour shuttle to get a four mile ride... and I still am.

camelgrundle
03-07-2015, 06:09 AM
My wife got a 2011 Honda crv and I thought it was a joke until I drove it. I honestly like it and its a pit bull in the snow. Nothing major has gone wrong with it in 2 years and a 50 mile commute a day. make fun of me if you want :)

pem
03-07-2015, 09:16 AM
I was listening to an auto related segment on tv the other day....the so called expert addressed this type problem/dilemma.....first you must determine the value of the car....if the thing can be fixed for half the value, you're money ahead to fix it....what they use to determine that was never brought up.....looking back at some repair bills on my E150 conversion van (175,000 miles) that's pretty much what I've been doing not even realizing it.....sounds great but if the same thing happens over and over with different repairs, you'll wish you never did it and then it becomes a money pit.....if I was in your shoes, I'd keep it and fix it.....good luck

Ms. Denmark
03-07-2015, 10:02 AM
And... while it felt souless, it was because it was non-stop bulletproof, fast and fun... Wrapped in a limited understated personality. The infinity service was the best I've ever experienced. I'm pretty sure I would really enjoy driving the Infinity as a DD.... EXCEPT if we have another winter like this one (and I'm sure we will). While I love a fun to drive, well appointed car that comes with great customer service, I also need to be able to blast my way over snow piles left at the end or my drive way by the plow at 6 am on my way to work. It apparently does well in snow but I am concerned about the fact that the G37X is a mere 4.9" off the ground. :eek:

My wife got a 2011 Honda crv and I thought it was a joke until I drove it. I honestly like it and its a pit bull in the snow. Nothing major has gone wrong with it in 2 years and a 50 mile commute a day. make fun of me if you want :) No, I wouldn't make fun of you at all. The CRV has a good reputation and it's gotten larger over the years. A friend of mine loves hers. It's just that I need to feel a bit more excited by my ride. The CRV would be a good utilitarian choice if that's what I was looking for.

I was listening to an auto related segment on tv the other day....the so called expert addressed this type problem/dilemma.....first you must determine the value of the car....if the thing can be fixed for half the value, you're money ahead to fix it....what they use to determine that was never brought up.....looking back at some repair bills on my E150 conversion van (175,000 miles) that's pretty much what I've been doing not even realizing it.....sounds great but if the same thing happens over and over with different repairs, you'll wish you never did it and then it becomes a money pit.....if I was in your shoes, I'd keep it and fix it.....good luck Here's the problem, my Aviator is not worth all that much. Trade in maybe 3 K if that and so it's going to cost more than half that to fix it for sure. But if I fix it and if it runs another 3-4+ years I'm car payment free and driving something I really like. Of course there is no guarantee that something else won't go wrong so it's a crap shoot. I'm still really torn.

slickster
03-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Honda Accord sport with xpack body kit lifetime powertrain warranty 35 miles per gallon huge trunk

Green96
03-07-2015, 10:20 AM
My wife has had 2 Subaru Outbacks. She has lived them both. They are unstoppable in the snow, especially when you put snow tires on them (I know overkill). Neither one ever when to the shop for anything other that routine maintenance.

The down side of an outback is that they are slow. For fun to drive I would go 2015 wrx. You can get a low trim level for mid $20k. Watch out for used ones, some had timing belts ( new ones are chain) and some have been modded.

rayjay
03-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Fix the Aviator and drive it until the wheels are square. Pocket the money you save in payments. I hate car payments... Another 12 months and my Sorento is mine. FWIW, most trouble free car I've ever owned.

Ms. Denmark
03-08-2015, 05:58 AM
^^^^Hi Ray! Good to hear from you! You're probably right about fixing and keeping the Aviator. We went to look at 2 vehicles yesterday at one of those horrible, auto mall places not far from NYC. What a cluster****! They had a 2010 pretty clean Eddie Bauer Explorer with low miles and a late model V8 Pathfinder that I wanted to check out. After looking and sitting in both trucks, they just couldn't compare to the Aviator or even come close. Plus I had forgotten how much I detest car salesmen (or women, in this case). Such a sleazy experience. I had to go home and take a shower. Anyway, great to see you back. We miss you!

chief455
03-08-2015, 06:37 AM
NYC = NO,NO,NO!!!:alone:

I've read all your concerns and requirements and have the perfect vehicle for you: Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
If you don't like the new body style, find a low mileage version you do like.
Most have an 8/80k warranty.
My last one, fully load (Limited) amazing stereo, heated seats, etc, etc tough but nice looking leather interior, easy to drive, everything placed sensibly inside, easy to maintain, easy to get in and out of (I'm part paralyzed), an absolute BLAST in the snow! High enough to feel like a small truck looking down on Honda trunk lids, low enough to jump in without running boards.
Even tons of room for cargo with an easy access rear hatch. Hauled rear ends and short blocks in the back with 4 people in the seats all comfy.
Handled extremely well, far more like a car than a truck - such as a Tahoe or Explorer (owned them all in winter months)
It was the best car truck I've ever owned or driven in over 35 years in CT/MA.
After this winter,:mad: I might be getting another.
When gas hit $5/gl, I went fwd Honda Accord EX-L to have luxury, dependability and fuel economy - and don't regret that. With 4 snow tires mounted through winter it is amazing on snowy roads and even hills. BUT - it can't get over the morning plow mountains either. I figured, eh, what, 2, 3 times a year that will matter? Ha!
My good friend is service manager over 15 years at an award winning Dodge/Jeep dealership, ran VIN numbers for me when I bought used Jeeps - he tells me the new ones are so well sorted out, they have no chronic issues like the old days.
Mine was a 99 with the then new little V8, ran flawlessly to 150,000 when I sold it, but I bet a large 6 cylinder Limited will satisfy all our needs.
You owe yourself a test drive.
Go to a county dealer, find some snow piles to drive over...

Ms. Denmark
03-08-2015, 06:42 AM
^^^I know I know. :D Only went there because they had those 2 trucks on autotrader. And, yes, a JGC might fit the bill. I will keep that in mind, and will absolutely stay more local. Thanks for some good advice.

chief455
03-08-2015, 06:58 AM
^^^I know I know. :D Only went there because they had those 2 trucks on autotrader. And, yes, a JGC might fit the bill. I will keep that in mind, and will absolutely stay more local. Thanks for some good advice.

funny story: my sister wanted to join in my Accord owning glory. I searched within 150 miles for a good deal, that wasn't sold before I got there. Dealer outside the city had an ebay ad - beauty in the pictures, decent miles,nice guy on the phone. she got cash and we drove the 2.5 hours into hell.
Dealer says - 'oh, someone just put a deposit on that - we tried to call you...'
the car was nowhere on the lot or in the garage, and he didn't even try to sell us another car. Just left us walking around waiting for an answer how this car was deposited and gone when he knew I was on my way with cash. After 30 minutes of obviously avoiding us I yelled to the entire showroom what happened and beware, than drove 2.5 hours home - and showered the rage from my soul.
JGC = you'll love it! Like the G37xS raised up 4 inches and more room for stuff :)

sailsmen
03-08-2015, 07:52 AM
If he was a salesman he would have tried to sell you something.

It maybe he has gotten jaded from all those people who have told him hold that car we are coming over to buy it and never show up.

chief455
03-08-2015, 09:30 AM
If he was a salesman he would have tried to sell you something.

It maybe he has gotten jaded from all those people who have told him hold that car we are coming over to buy it and never show up.

Oh, no. There I was, drove 2.5 hours, with cash ready to buy, no car to switch into? Can't let me see the car 'I just missed'? The desk greeter passed the 'deposit was taken' message to us, several sales staff were dealing with at least 2 unhappy, vocal customers. 1 fellow pacing around shrugged his shoulders and said ' nobody wants to help me here'. It was pathetic.
All the used cars on the lot had bumps and bruises, and the car I went for had been listed on ebay for days, and the listing stayed active for another week. Huh?
No good car buying experiences in NYC, L.I. or surrounding areas. Just my experience, never take the trip.:shake:
Anyway - tell us how you like a Jeep!:D

Ms. Denmark
03-17-2015, 03:04 AM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608045345296746752&pid=15.1&w=162&h=121&p=0
Wanted to thank you guys for your help deciding what direction to go. I took a hard look at a lot of your suggestions. Ultimately I decided not to put more money into the Aviator but wanted to stick with an SUV style vehicle. I bought a local, one owner 2009 Lincoln MKX in Dark Ink Blue Metallic. (It looks black except in bright sunlight). The interior is Stone. Just brought it home last night but so far I'm happy. It's not much better on gas than the Aviator, but it takes regular instead of premium. Thanks again, guys!

jwibbity
03-17-2015, 05:35 AM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608045345296746752&pid=15.1&w=162&h=121&p=0
Wanted to thank you guys for your help deciding what direction to go. I took a hard look at a lot of your suggestions. Ultimately I decided not to put more money into the Aviator but wanted to stick with an SUV style vehicle. I bought a local, one owner 2009 Lincoln MKX in Dark Ink Blue Metallic. (It looks black except in bright sunlight). The interior is Stone. Just brought it home last night but so far I'm happy. It's not much better on gas than the Aviator, but it takes regular instead of premium. Thanks again, guys!

Congrats but that thing is ugly! :puke:

Bluerauder
03-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Ultimately I decided not to put more money into the Aviator but wanted to stick with an SUV style vehicle. I bought a local, one owner 2009 Lincoln MKX in Dark Ink Blue Metallic.

Congrats on the "new to you" vehicle and welcome to the Blues Brothers (& Sisters) !!! :D

I wish that Lincoln would revert to giving real names to its line of cars. I just cannot keep the models MKX, MKT and MKS straight at all. This continuing trend toward numbers and letters to distinguish makes and models is really confusing.

Ms. Denmark
03-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Congrats but that thing is ugly! :puke:
Yeah, it takes getting used to but essentially an Edge, Jerry....but nowhere near as ugly as the new Lincolns with the hideous baleen grilles. :D It's real purdy inside tho....

And hey Charlie, glad to be in the "B B Club"..... however most people will never believe it's blue. The salesman wrote "black" all over the paperwork....

jwibbity
03-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it takes getting used to but essentially an Edge....but no where near as ugly as the new Lincoln's with the hideous baleen grilles. :D It's real purdy inside tho....

I'm just not a big crossover fan in general, but lincoln's interiors are pretty legit though.... Enjoy the new vehicle :burnout:

Ms. Denmark
03-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Thanks, Jerry! And since it's a crossover it is a bit lower (and it doesn't have roof rails) so I can reach to clean off all the snow all by myself vs getting Mr. Man out there at 0 Dark:30. ;)