PDA

View Full Version : Carfax Please on 1989 Pontiac Firebird

MENINBLK
03-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Hello All !!

I am buying my son his first ride.
We have been looking for a clean third gen Firebird.
It has been a very hard hunt because most of these cars
go through some very rough times.
Unlike Marauder Owners, :) , we take care of our rides...

So would someone please run a carfax for us
so we can verify the mileage and see what maintenance
it might have had ?

1G2FS21E2KL211068

Thanks !!

a_d_a_m
03-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Can't help you with the Carfax, but having owned two 3rd-gens...

-Judging by the tape stripe combined with the alloy wheels, I am going to guess that this is a 305 under the hood? If I'm wrong, and it's a V6, watch out for the oil filter adapter. Had the gasket fail on both of mine without warning and create massive puddles in their respective parking lots.

-Since you live in a similar climate, I recommend you closely monitor the undercarriage. Even in dry storage, these cars can and will rot quickly. On my '92, it went into a dry garage (where a friend's '53 Chevy had been stored for 20+ years and was in clean condition) with only some minor rust in the floorpans, etc... Came out with a bad case of cancer six months later.

Fun first cars though! I miss mine.

MENINBLK
03-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Hi Adam,

It is an LO3 5.0 V8 TBI Firebird.
Nothing really special, but it is a very clean car with 77k miles.

chief455
03-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Hi Adam,

Nothing really special, but it is a very clean car with 77k miles.
Carfax won't go back to that vintage with any accuracy. You'll have to buy based on the current condition, not the miles or history.
If you are buying it in that picture, at least it was from a Pontiac man - nice garage signage ;)
Value is all over on those - low demand, but as you found, no true original, nice examples around often. Good luck!

a_d_a_m
03-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Hi Adam,

Nothing really special, but it is a very clean car with 77k miles. Best of luck with it. May wanna get some sort of rustproof or preventative underneath. (Oiling in the fall, maybe?)

Showroom
03-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Carfax says no accidents,no problems reported to carfax. Give me your e-mail and i'll send it.

CoreyM75
03-10-2015, 03:24 PM
It looks like a sweet first car. Your son is lucky to get such a nice first car, I hope that he gets many miles of enjoyment out of the car.

ctrlraven
03-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Did you buy that car off ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebird-firebird-/181655097756?vxp=mtr#

martyo
03-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Your son is lucky to get such a nice first car.

Plus he has a pretty good dad to boot!!!

Quasar3210
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
I did an autocheck and its very clean there also. But if you say it has 77K on it now. It seems to have been sitting an awfully long time.

Autocheck shows it had 77,767 miles on 6/2/2006. If its been stored all this time then great, but if the Odometer isn't working, it could be trouble.

Just something to double check.

chief455
03-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Carfax says no accidents,no problems reported to carfax. Give me your e-mail and i'll send it.
I did not know Carfax reached that far back, but be alert - much work could be done 'off the grid' from 89 until the late 90's when most shops enter everything into a computer that Carfax can access.

Did you buy that car off ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebird-firebird-/181655097756?vxp=mtr#
same VIN, sure looks like it!

Plus he has a pretty good dad to boot!!!
ya, man! Daddy didn't help me get my first car :rolleyes:

I did an autocheck and its very clean there also. But if you say it has 77K on it now. It seems to have been sitting an awfully long time.

Autocheck shows it had 77,767 miles on 6/2/2006. If its been stored all this time then great, but if the Odometer isn't working, it could be trouble.

Just something to double check.

Eh, if they unplugged the speedo or it hasn't worked, it's all about condition at this point. 77,921 in the ad picture. I think if it looks, runs and drives well, in his opinion, he got a solid starter car for fair money = WINNING!

MENINBLK
03-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the eBay listing.
The seller told me that the two cars were purchased in an estate sale.
After I purchase this, I can now get in touch with the eBay seller
since he is a CROWN VIC owner and see if he can offer
any more information to me.

Thanks for all your help guys !!!

I think the first thing we will be doing to this car is changing out the
timing chain and the coolant pump as well as the coolant.
The tranny is the 700R4 so I think it will be okay after an oil change.

MENINBLK
03-31-2015, 09:02 PM
Picked up the car and it is a sweet deal !!
It is clean as a whistle. Inside, outside and underneath.

I've got it tucked away until I can get setup on insurance and plates.
In the meantime I'm looking for a new daily driver that we can share.