PDA

View Full Version : Some General Restoration Questions

sflrainmaker01
03-09-2015, 02:13 PM
I'm considering buying a old muscle car to do as a father/son project. Late 60's or early 70's big block. I have an eye on a Q code 1968 Galaxie XL. My question is VERY general. Just as a guide when selecting a car (as it pertains to rust), does anyone have a general idea as what I could expect to pay to have a floor pan, entire floor pan, trunk floor and/or quarter panel replaced? That means buying the new metal pieces (which generally don't seem too expensive) and cutting out and re-welding the new parts in. I realize there is a lot of different things that can come up in a restoration, but I am looking for a reasonable expectation so I can factor that into the purchase price of what ever car I buy as an expense. Trust me, I don't want to re-weld and replace ALL these parts! But, one car might need a quarter or two, another might need a DS floor pan or trunk floor.
Thanks!

Marauderjack
03-09-2015, 02:18 PM
I can't help you but I have been a member at:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/

for over 10 years and they do some fantastic stuff over there!!

Not selling our Marauder group short and I'm sure you'll get some good information here but join up at FORD MUSCLE and go to the Galaxie pages.....great bunch of folks that do lots of restoration work!!:beer:

Good Luck!!:D

sflrainmaker01
03-09-2015, 02:33 PM
I can't help you but I have been a member at:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/

for over 10 years and they do some fantastic stuff over there!!

Not selling our Marauder group short and I'm sure you'll get some good information here but join up at FORD MUSCLE and go to the Galaxie pages.....great bunch of folks that do lots of restoration work!!:beer:

Good Luck!!:D

I was going to sign up with a forum like that, but I haven't yet because I am not 100% sure on what I am buying. There are two other contenders. Once I decide for sure, I'll jump on! The Galaxie is the biggest stretch due to distance. The other two aren't too far outa reach.

chief455
03-09-2015, 07:23 PM
floor pans in a GM A body or F body from the 60's or 70's can cost a grand to cut and replace, correctly. A trunk pan for an A body will be a grand as well. Body and fuel tank mounting involved. F body trunk easier around $500. Quater panels, cheaters - a grand per side. Any less, they are not taking time to do them properly. Rocker panels - inner are a bugger - gotta fabricate = time labor. Outers not hard, a few hundred per side.
Subframe / shock tower Ford cars will be less in the trunk because it's just a frame rail cover and trunk extension on each side. Quarters will be the same = ~$1k / side. Floors, just as hard / easy to weld in a full left / right side pan as a single section, just cut it out once. Full floors, done, ~$1k
frame rails, torque boxes, shock tower areas, radiator support stuff get's dicey. Can be easy or require some custom fab work. A Q code car would be worth the cost, any generic car, buy a better body. Ballpark from the rusty cars I've done over the years.

sflrainmaker01
03-09-2015, 09:04 PM
floor pans in a GM A body or F body from the 60's or 70's can cost a grand to cut and replace, correctly. A trunk pan for an A body will be a grand as well. Body and fuel tank mounting involved. F body trunk easier around $500. Quater panels, cheaters - a grand per side. Any less, they are not taking time to do them properly. Rocker panels - inner are a bugger - gotta fabricate = time labor. Outers not hard, a few hundred per side.
Subframe / shock tower Ford cars will be less in the trunk because it's just a frame rail cover and trunk extension on each side. Quarters will be the same = ~$1k / side. Floors, just as hard / easy to weld in a full left / right side pan as a single section, just cut it out once. Full floors, done, ~$1k
frame rails, torque boxes, shock tower areas, radiator support stuff get's dicey. Can be easy or require some custom fab work. A Q code car would be worth the cost, any generic car, buy a better body. Ballpark from the rusty cars I've done over the years.

Thanks man! That's kinda what I was looking for. Just an experienced ball park. I have never needed to dive this deep. But once in a while, there is a deal out there. I just dont want TOO big of a suprise while trying to save a precious American muscle car:cool:!