PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing woes

Mr. Man
03-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Picked up what I believe to be a wheel bearing or bearings going South on my DD truck. It is 4wd if it matters. Is there a way to determine which wheel bearing is bad? From inside the truck the low grade hum sound just seems to come from everywhere.

camelgrundle
03-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Jack it up so the wheels are off the ground and spin each one and try pulling an pushing on them too. You will either hear the sound or have a little wiggle. If you have a big enough jack that is.

camelgrundle
03-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Also if one is bad I would replace them all and be done with it.

fastblackmerc
03-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Jack it up so the wheels are off the ground and spin each one and try pulling an pushing on them too. You will either hear the sound or have a little wiggle. If you have a big enough jack that is.

Also if one is bad I would replace them all and be done with it.

That and that right there!

Bigdogjim
03-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Picked up what I believe to be a wheel bearing or bearings going South on my DD truck. It is 4wd if it matters. Is there a way to determine which wheel bearing is bad? From inside the truck the low grade hum sound just seems to come from everywhere.

What happens with you bump the gas a little? How many miles, when is the last time they were re-packed?

larryo340
03-23-2015, 06:17 PM

Does it get louder when you move the steering left or right? If it's louder when turning left it will be the right front, and vise versa louder turning right it's the left front... reason being that when turning you take the load off the inside wheel and put more load on the outside wheel so with more load it will be louder on a worn bearing.

MyBlackBeasts
03-23-2015, 08:26 PM

Year/Make/Model, 1/2 ton or 3/4?

If 1/2T, most are sealed bearing in hub assm. Easy to diagnose by spinning wheel off ground. Just did LF on my F150 on Saturday, will do RF when weather improves. 20/30 minute job.

Mr. Man
03-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll see if I can get on a lift and get a diagnosis.