PDA

View Full Version : To all my Christian Marauder Enthusaist and others.

prchrman
03-30-2015, 07:36 AM
Jesus change my life in nearly every way and I will never be able to thank him enough. This is high Holy week for us Christians and I thought that I would post some of the ways that Jesus not only changed me personally but how he changed the world.....these quotes are from Christians and non Christians alike. God bless you and your family.

Flavius Josephus, Jewish historian, became a Pharisee at 19, later commander, of the Jewish forces in Galilee. Captured by Romans and attached to their headquarters. Born: 34AD
“Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ, and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first, did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians so named from him are not extinct at this day.”

Pontius Pilate, Roman governor of Judea who ordered Christ's crucifixion, first century A.D
Wrote to the Roman emperor Tiberius Caesar:
"And him, Herod, and Archelaus and Philip, Annas, and Caiphas, with all the people, delivered to me, making a great uproar against me that I should try Him (Christ). I, therefore, ordered Him to be crucified, having first scourged Him, and having found against Him no cause of evil accusations or deeds. At the time he was crucified, there was darkness over all the world, the sun being darkened at midday, and the stars appearing, but in them there appeared no luster; and the moon, as if turned into blood, failed in her light."

Julian the Apostate, Roman Emperor from 361-363 A.D. and one of the most gifted ancient adversaries to Christianity.
In his work against Christianity:
“Jesus…has now been celebrated about three hundred years having done nothing in his lifetime worthy of fame, unless anyone thinks it is a very great work to heal lame and blind people and exorcise demoniacs in the villages of Bethsaida and Bethany.”
But at the end of his life was forced to say:
“Thou has conquered, O Galilean!”
- He also affirms the authenticity of all four gospels.

Thallus, Samaritan-born historian, wrote A.D. 52. His writings have disappeared and we know of them only from fragments cited by other writers.
One such writer is Julian Africanus, A Christian writer of about 221 A.D. who says:
“Thallus, in the third book of his histories, explains away this darkness as an eclipse of the sun – unreasonable as it seems to me (unreasonable of course, because a solar eclipse could not take place at the time of the full moon, and it was at the season of the Paschal full moon that Christ died).”

Carnegie Simpson
“Jesus is not one of the group of world’s great. Talk about Alexander the Great and Charles the Great and Napoleon the Great if you will…Jesus is apart. He is not the Great – He is the only.”

David Strauss, German theologian who applied Hegelian philosophy to the study of the Bible.
Toward the end of his life
“This Christ…is historical, not mythical, is an individual, no mere symbol…”

E. M. Blaiklock
“Luke is a consummate historian, to be ranked in his own right with the great writers of the Greeks.”

Bruce M. Metzger
“Today no competent scholar denies the historicity of Jesus.”

H. G. Wells, British writer, 1866-1946
“In the reign of Tiberius Caesar a great teacher arose out of Judea who was to liberate the intense realization of the righteousness and unchallengeable oneness of God, and of man’s moral obligation to God…This was Jesus of Nazareth…Is it any wonder that to this day the Galilean is too much for our small hearts.”

Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of the French
"You speak of Caesar, of Alexander, of their conquests and of the enthusiasm which they enkindled in the hearts of their soldiers; but can you conceive of a dead man making conquests, with an army faithful and entirely devoted to his memory? My armies have forgotten me even while living, as the Carthaginian army forgot Hannibal. Such is our power.”
“I know men and I tell you, Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between him and every other person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded his empire upon love; and at this hour, millions would die for him.”
“I search in vain history to find similar to Jesus Christ, or anything which can approach the gospel. Neither history nor humanity, nor ages, nor nature, offer me anything with which I am able to compare it or to explain it. Here everything is extraordinary.”

Ernest Renan, French historian, religious scholar and linguist
“All history is incomprehensible without Christ.”
“Whatever may be the surprises of the future, Jesus will never be surpassed.”

William E. Channing, American religious leader whose writings and sermons led to the emergence of Unitarianism, 1780-1842
“The sages and heroes of history are receding from us, and history contracts the record of their deeds into a narrower and narrower page. But time has no power over the name and deeds and words of Jesus Christ.”

P. Carnegie Simpson,
Concerning Christianity said:
“Is a fact of history recognizable as any other.”

H. G. Wells, British writer, 1866-1946
When asked which person left the most permanent impression on history, he replied that judging a person’s greatness by historical standards:
“By this test, Jesus stands first.”
“I am a historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.”
“Christ is the most unique person of history. No man can write a history of the human race without giving first and foremost place to the penniless teacher of Nazareth.”

Kenneth Scott Latourette, former President of American Historic Society
In A History of Christianity:
“It is evidence of His importance, of the effect that He has had upon history and presumably, of the baffling mystery of His being that no other life ever lived on this planet has evoked so huge a volume of literature among so many people and languages, and that, far from ebbing, the flood continues to mount.”
“As the centuries pass by, the evidence is accumulating that measured by its effect on history, Jesus is the most influential life ever lived on this planet. The influence appears to be mounting.”
“No other life lived on this planet has so widely and deeply affected mankind.”

George Bancroft, great American historian
“I find the name of Jesus Christ written on the top of every page of modern history.”

One Solitary Life
Nearly two thousand years ago in an obscure village, a child was born of a peasant woman. He grew up in another village where He worked as a carpenter until He was thirty. Then for three years He became an itinerant preacher.
This man never went to college or seminary. He never wrote a book. He never held a public office. He never had a family nor owned a home. He never put His foot inside a big city nor traveled even 200 miles from His birthplace. And though He never did any of the things that usually accompany greatness, throngs of people followed Him. He had no credentials but Himself.
While He was still young, the tide of public opinion turned against Him. His followers ran away. He was turned over to His enemies and sentenced to death on a cross between two thieves. While He was dying, His executioners gambled for the only piece of property He had on earth – the simple coat He had worn. His body was laid in a borrowed grave provided by a compassionate friend.
But three days later this Man arose from the dead – living proof that He was, as He had claimed, the Savior whom God had sent, the Incarnate Son of God.
Nineteen centuries have come and gone and today the risen Lord Jesus Christ is the central figure of the human race. On our calendars His birth divides history into two eras. One day of every week is set aside in remembrance of Him. And our two most important holidays celebrate His birth and resurrection. On church steeples around the world, His cross has become the symbol of victory over sin and death.
This one Man’s life has furnished the theme for more songs, books, poems and paintings than any other person or event in history. Thousands of colleges, hospitals, orphanages and other institutions have been founded in honor of this One who gave His life for us.
All the armies that ever marched, all the navies that ever sailed, all the governments that ever sat, all the kings that ever reigned have not changed the course of history as much as this One Solitary Life.
Daniel Webster, American politician., 1782-1852
“All that is best in the civilization of today, is the fruit of Christ’s appearance among men.”

prchrman
03-30-2015, 07:36 AM
Will Durant, popular modern historian and philosopher
When asked what he felt the apex of history was:
“the three years that Jesus of Nazareth walked the earth.”

Both President Obama and Governor Romney have had to repeatedly address their views about an itinerant rabbi who lived 2000 years ago.
But why does anyone care?

Yale historian Jeroslav Pelikan wrote, "Regardless of what anyone may personally think or believe about him, Jesus of Nazareth has been the dominant figure in the history of Western Culture for almost 20 centuries. If it were possible, with some sort of super magnet, to pull up out of history every scrap of metal bearing at least a trace of his name, how much would be left?"
It turns out that the life of Jesus is a comet with an exceedingly long tale. Here are some shards of his impact that most often surprise people:
Children
In the ancient world children were routinely left to die of exposure -- particularly if they were the wrong gender (you can guess which was the wrong one); they were often sold into slavery. Jesus' treatment of and teachings about children led to the forbidding of such practices, as well as orphanages and godparents. A Norwegian scholar named Bakke wrote a study of this impact, simply titled: When Children Became People: the Birth of Childhood in Early Christianity.

Education
Love of learning led to monasteries, which became the cradle of academic guilds. Universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, and Harvard all began as Jesus-inspired efforts to love God with all ones' mind. The first legislation to publicly fund education in the colonies was called The Old Deluder Satan Act, under the notion that God does not want any child ignorant. The ancient world loved education but tended to reserve it for the elite; the notion that every child bore God's image helped fuel the move for universal literacy.

Compassion
Jesus had a universal concern for those who suffered that transcended the rules of the ancient world. His compassion for the poor and the sick led to institutions for lepers, the beginning of modern-day hospitals. The Council of Nyssa decreed that wherever a cathedral existed, there must be a hospice, a place of caring for the sick and poor. That's why even today, hospitals have names like "Good Samaritan," "Good Shepherd," or "Saint Anthony." They were the world's first voluntary, charitable institutions.

Humility
The ancient world honored many virtues like courage and wisdom, but not humility. People were generally divided into first class and coach. "Rank must be preserved," said Cicero; each of the original 99 percent was a personis mediocribus. Plutarch wrote a self-help book that might crack best-seller lists in our day: How to Praise Yourself Inoffensively.
Jesus' life as a foot-washing servant would eventually lead to the adoption of humility as a widely admired virtue. Historian John Dickson writes, "it is unlikely that any of us would aspire to this virtue were it not for the historical impact of his crucifixion...Our culture remains cruciform long after it stopped being Christian."

Forgiveness
In the ancient world, virtue meant rewarding your friends and punishing your enemies. Conan the Barbarian was actually paraphrasing Ghengis Khan in his famous answer to the question "what is best in life?" -- To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.
An alternative idea came from Galilee: what is best in life is to love your enemies, and see them reconciled to you. Hannah Arendt, the first woman appointed to a full professorship at Princeton, claimed, "the discoverer of the role of forgiveness in the realm of human affairs was Jesus of Nazareth." This may be debatable, but he certainly gave the idea unique publicity.

Humanitarian Reform:
Jesus had a way of championing the excluded that was often downright irritating to those in power. His inclusion of women led to a community to which women flocked in disproportionate numbers. Slaves--up to a third of ancient populations--might wander into a church fellowship and have a slave-owner wash their feet rather than beat them. One ancient text instructed bishops to not interrupt worship to greet a wealthy attender, but to sit on the floor to welcome the poor. The apostle Paul said: "Now there is neither Jew nor Gentile, slave or free, male and female, but all are one in Christ Jesus." Thomas Cahill wrote that this was the first statement of egalitarianism in human literature.
Perhaps as remarkable as anything else is Jesus' ability to withstand the failings of his followers, who from the beginning probably got in his way at least as much as they helped. The number of groups claiming to be 'for' Jesus are inexhaustible; to name a few: Jews for Jesus, Muslims for Jesus, Ex-Masons for Jesus, Road Riders for Jesus, Cowboys for Jesus, even Atheists for Jesus.
The one predictable element of this fall's U.S. presidential campaign is that it will be called "the most important election of our time." As the last one was called, and the next one will be.

Meanwhile, the unpredictable influence of an unelected carpenter continues to endure and spread across the world.

This week TIME magazine released their list of the 100 most influential people for 2013. The list includes musical artists like Jay Z and Christina Aguilera, TV personalities like Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon and many other well known and not so well known people.
The list is like a who's who of rich people and even richer people who have exerted some sort of influence over the people around them. The Top 100 list comes out every year so this years influential people may not be next years most influential people and 100 years from now most of the people on the list no one will remember.
There is one name however which is conspicuously missing from the list, One wonders why because this person has been influencing people all over the world for the last 2000 years or more. His name is Jesus the Christ.
Don't scoff just yet because whether people believe in the Bible or not. Whether people believe that Jesus was God in the flesh or not they are still influenced by Him in one way or another. There is not another person throughout history who has changed the shape of the world more then the person of Jesus.
The very fact people argue about the influence Jesus has in the current society is a testament to how much influence Jesus still has today. Think about it, what if Jesus had never existed, there would so many aspects of society which would never have changed for the better.
So this is the short list of some of the influence Jesus has had on the world in the past 2000 or so years. There is a lot more but as John says in the Gospel of John, “If all things Jesus had done were written down, it would take volumes to contain the information.” Maybe next year Jesus will make TIME's list.

People of faith
Over the century’s millions of people have come to faith in Jesus and His claims and have carried on the message of Him as the risen Savior. Untold numbers of those people, starting with the disciples have lost their lives because of faith. He has definitely influenced millions of people into changing their lives.

The birth of Jesus changed the calendar www.oxfordcartographers.com
The birth of Jesus changed the calendar
The current calendar we have starts with the birth of Jesus. Sure Jesus' exact birth date might be off by a few yeas but the point is the calendar is based on His birthday. Of course some people have tried to eliminate Jesus from the calendar by changing it to CE (Current Era) and BCE (Before Current Era) but the true calendar remains.

Jesus is at the center of two holidays www.ambergristoday.com
Jesus is at the center of two holidays
Each year there are two holidays which are tied to Jesus' birth and death, they are Christmas and Easter. Then again people have tried to take Christ out of those holidays too by creating a Santa Claus and Easter Bunny.

The bible is still a best seller www.ehow.com
The bible is still a best seller
The Bible, which was and is the best selling book of all time, chronicles the history of a promised Savior and then a risen Savior, has been translated into multiple languages so more more people in the world have heard of Jesus then any other person not to mention more Bibles are sold each year then any other books. How's that for consecutive month's on the best sellers list.
Jesus' teaching influenced higher education www.guardian.co.uk
Jesus' teaching influenced higher education
The love for Jesus and His teaching has led to a system of institutions of higher learning, which later became know as Cambridge, Harvard and Oxford universities. Well at least they were once dedicated to Biblical teachings.

Jesus' love for the infirm influenced medicine www.catholic-convert.com
Jesus' love for the infirm influenced medicine

Jesus' love for the people with infirmities, led to the establishment of leper colonies, which in turn led to many of the modern day hospitals. Many of these hospitals were created through the faith of the Catholic Church to helping people.

Zack
03-30-2015, 08:12 AM
WTF is this Sh$T

NXSBOB
03-30-2015, 08:17 AM
WTF is this Sh$T
PLUS ONE........

jwibbity
03-30-2015, 08:17 AM
WTF is this Sh$T

lololololololol

HotRaud90
03-30-2015, 08:40 AM
WTF is this Sh$T

Pretty obvious that it's someone sharing their faith, one that happens to find much of it's basis in the reason behind celebrating Easter and Palm Sunday (next Sunday, this past Sunday); thus, he's sharing with others at a specific time that is important to his faith and his personal life.

If you're not interested, there's no need to bring negativity. Just carry on :up:

Thanks for sharing, prchrman!

Crown Vicman
03-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Thanks and God bless you Mr. Preacherman

Zack
03-30-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm excited I got to use the report post button!

rauder88
03-30-2015, 09:00 AM
FORUM RULES... This following topics are not allowed on this message board and will be removed if posted: Religion, politics,...
May not agree with all the rules here, but this thread is against them.

RF Overlord
03-30-2015, 09:06 AM
While we believe in everyone's right to worship and profess faith as they see fit, this is not the place for it.

If anyone disagrees, please read the forum rules regarding religion, politics, etc.

Edit: Looks like rauder88 beat me to it.