PDA

View Full Version : Repairing leather.

Vortech347
03-31-2015, 02:03 PM
The driver's side seat has started to form a small rip in the stitching. Its the portion where the smaller pieces of leather 1" wide join to each other. I have a seat cover for the rear that has a tear in it. I'm glad I saved it as a spare. After measuring this section of leather is the exact same as the rear. I'm going to have an upholstery shop "splice" it in place of the torn section.

So, question. If you've had the front seat lower portion skin off. How did you do it? Any special tools required? The shop I talked to that came highly recommended for the work said my labor will be literally cut by 80% if I remove/re-install the seat cover myself.

Mike D Mechanic
03-31-2015, 02:23 PM
Not that big of a deal to do. Once you get seat out and start looking you'll see how it peels off pretty easy. Biggest key is to take your time. Remember your working with skin. Best way I can describe it is to massage it back into place. If you have wrinkles when you reinstall leather, you can use a hair drier to warm it up and massage it out. I mean wrinkles from it being folded or install process. wrinkles from how new part is stitched in is different deal.

fastblackmerc
03-31-2015, 02:26 PM
The driver's side seat has started to form a small rip in the stitching. Its the portion where the smaller pieces of leather 1" wide join to each other. I have a seat cover for the rear that has a tear in it. I'm glad I saved it as a spare. After measuring this section of leather is the exact same as the rear. I'm going to have an upholstery shop "splice" it in place of the torn section.

So, question. If you've had the front seat lower portion skin off. How did you do it? Any special tools required? The shop I talked to that came highly recommended for the work said my labor will be literally cut by 80% if I remove/re-install the seat cover myself.

Unplug all the seat connections and wait at least 15 minutes for the airbag circuit to discharge

Unbolt the seat

Separate the seat back from the seat

Remove all the hog rings that hold on the seat cover

Remove the seat cover

You will need to purchase hog rings and hog ring pliers to reinstall

Remember to secure the front flap

Spectragod
03-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Unplug all the seat connections and wait at least 15 minutes for the airbag circuit to discharge

Unbolt the seat

Separate the seat back from the seat

Remove all the hog rings that hold on the seat cover

Remove the seat cover

You will need to purchase hog rings and hog ring pliers to reinstall

Remember to secure the front flap

^^^THIS^^^ is fairly complete, you will need to remove the plastic back off the seat, (2) 5.5mm head screws.

Cut the hog rings on the outside to get the (2) 14mm IIRC bolts out.

Remove the 14mm bolt on the inside lower, remove the 18mm nut holding the seat belt buckle on and unplug the connector, remove buckle assembly.

After unplugging the air bag wiring and air bladder wiring, you can remove the back.

Remove the (4) 10mm bolts holding the adjustable seat rail to the bottom pan, pull it far enough so you can pull the "U" channel loose that holds the seat belt pocket in place.

You will need to unclip all the "U" channel's around the bottom of the pan.

Lift pad and skin off in one piece, just go slow and pay attention to how the lower cushion fits between metal rails in the rear.

Vortech347
03-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Alright, thanks guys. I've got rings and pliers from when I did the rear bench skin replace. The airbags in the seat are what make me the most nervous.

loud2004marquis
04-01-2015, 01:45 AM
Remember your working with skin.

https://i.imgflip.com/jll5t.jpg

Gerry24
04-01-2015, 08:13 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/jll5t.jpg

LMFAO :laugh:

RubberCtyRauder
04-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Put the lotion on the skin