PDA

View Full Version : The raffle winner

2003 MIB
04-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Too weird...I had to tell someboday so y'all get to hear this story. A young lady at work and her husband went to a benefit at the Dallas Museum of Art (DMA). They bought a $150 dollar raffle ticket and won a new Lincoln Navigator. Through an odd set of circumstances- They take delivery from my LM dealer John Eagle tomorrow at 3:00pm.
Here's the kicker- they are hippies and hate everything this vehicle represents (conspicuous consumption etc...). They would rather have cash. The raffle had no cash equivalent and they are responsible for the taxes on the Navigator. I called Sonny (The Prez of JE) to see what they could do and he said it needs to be worked out with the DMA. They will probably have to take delivery of this truck and they don't want it. It's a big press event and they really don't even want their pictures taken with it. Any ideas?

MERCMAN
04-29-2004, 12:04 PM
yeah, have them donate it to MV2 :) :up:

RCSignals
04-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Didn't they know their $150 raffle ticket was for a Navigator?

I guess if there is no cash equivalent specified, and they don't want it, another ticket should be drawn.

Logan
04-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Simple. If their scruples and moral values are that important to them and the reason they went was to benefit the charity. Then should donate the vehicle back to the charity, take the tax receipt and pat themselves on the back for a good deed while lowering their taxes.

Paul T. Casey
04-29-2004, 12:51 PM
What Logan said! Another idea? I know back on the first Earth Day in the town where I grew up, a bunch of "hippies" bought a brand new Mach 1 Mustang. They tied ropes to it, pulled it around town for a few hours, then pulled it into the cemetary and BURIEDit. I don't know if anyone has ever dug it up, but, I'll bet looking back from today's enthusiast market, they wish the just stored it! :shake:

RCSignals
04-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Well Logan's solution is of course the most fair to all parties, but I still like mine. It leaves them with nothing.

martyo
04-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Simple. If their scruples and moral values are that important to them and the reason they went was to benefit the charity. Then should donate the vehicle back to the charity, take the tax receipt and pat themselves on the back for a good deed while lowering their taxes.

Well Logan, this is actually pretty poor tax advice. Pursuant to Section 108(g(2)(ii).....Oh never mind. Just tell them to give me the darn thing!

SergntMac
04-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Didn't they know their $150 raffle ticket was for a Navigator? I guess if there is no cash equivalent specified, and they don't want it, another ticket should be drawn.
Yup...Best answer.

I have run a few of these raffles myself, mostly with Harley Davidson high end motorcycles, and my standard warning/disclaimer is printed on the ticket stub. The stub the buyer keeps, not the stub going in the draw drum. Just some legal words that say "if the winner has issues with winning, there will be a second draw."

Some people buy tickets because they want to contribute to the cause, and end up holding THE winning ticket.

Sometimes, the cause selling tickets wants to draw as much market appeal as possible, and make the ticket more desireable with a substancial "grand prize."

Kudos to both for getting the causejob done, but if it's one of my raffles, and we're going to have issues with the winner, the grand prize will go to the next "winner."

Done this ten times now, ended up in court once, and won. Watch your step with the fine print and sales pitch, 'nuff said.

Likewise...There is a sure and solid financial benefit to taking delivery, paying taxes, and driving to the nearest CarMax straight from the dealership closing the raffle.

Maybe these hippies don't want anything to do with this vehicle, and I respect that. But, even hippies trade/barter/spend in USC. I don't care what y'all post here, y'all can't convince me that a fast, clean and easy 25K isn't helpful to them hippies.

Hippies may love to run around naked and live a communal life, but none of them are ready to go hungry, eh?

The sale of the grand prize to anyone, at any price, buys a lot of veggies and Salvation Army like clothing sprees...

Bigdogjim
04-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Well Mac your do have a way with words:)

Draw the next ticket if they do not want the SUV:)

Or..........it could be the new "hippie" bus:lol:

Petrograde
04-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Dan,... tell 'em I'll give 'em 5K for it tomorrow!

jgc61sr2002
04-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Redonate to the charity of their choice and take the tax deduction.

junehhan
04-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Well if they would not like that Navigator, they can give it to me. I'll give $5001 for it........... :)

Patrick
04-29-2004, 11:27 PM
All goodn Points!!! Hey Paul what cematary??? I got shovels!!!

lgetz
04-30-2004, 07:59 AM
All goodn Points!!! Hey Paul what cemetary??? I got shovels!!!
Careful! With that car a less scrupulous partner may just leave YOU in the hole after your done digging

teamrope
04-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Or they can sell it and donate to the teamrope S/C fund :D