PDA

View Full Version : LED bulbs in the home

RF Overlord
04-05-2015, 04:55 AM
Decided to take the plunge and bought a few to try. Cree 60W equivalent 2700k...I cannot detect any difference in light output between these and the incandescents they replaced. I only put them in the most heavily-used lamps, but as the others go, I'll convert the whole house.

Please share your experiences...

camelgrundle
04-05-2015, 05:03 AM
I like the 4k bulbs for the home more of a whiter light. I put led's in my basement cuz it has old track lighting and they are perfect now. Before it was dark and I tried other bulbls but were too hot in the metal cans. LEDs are perfect for me. I also have alot on that circuit which I pop alot less now until I get around to installing a sub panel.

RubberCtyRauder
04-05-2015, 05:05 AM
I have LED kitchen recessed lighting..6 can lights only use like 9w each when on . and I have under cabinet lights that are LED in the kitchen. I too have cree 75w and 60w equiv. in my most used lamps and the bathroom wall lights over the counter/sink.. The kitchen lights have been in for over 2 years and the cree bulbs, over 6 months..No issues so far.

camelgrundle
04-05-2015, 05:15 AM
I think that led upgrades for fluorescent lighting is a god send! At work we have alot of tricky ballasts to change because the motion detection kills the ballasts pretty quick. We found a company that retrofits two tubes filled with LEDs and a driver that are magnetic and stick in the light fixture perfect. Now not changing bulbs everyday or ballasts off the genie lift lol.

Fastbob
04-05-2015, 05:26 AM
I have been running mostly LED lighting in my home for about 2 years with out any failures. There has been a very noticeable drop in my electricity bill. I stay with bulbs around to 3,000 color temperature. Cree is a very good dependable brand.

larryo340
04-05-2015, 06:10 AM
LED's are the way to go in the home too. I've replace all bulbs in my apartment with them, and as others posted keep them under 3K in color otherwise colors look like crap. I've even put a LED strip in my walk in closet with a micro switch on the door so they turn on when opening door. I also did a friends boat with them which was great for night fishing..kept on for hours without draining down the batteries.

Here's a link to my sisters small galley kitchen I did five years ago. The video doesn't show the in cabinet lighting (also done with micro switch) or the up lighting.

http://youtu.be/Aqn5Or1YyAU

Jolly Roger
04-05-2015, 08:13 AM
I used 12 Cree 60 watt and 4 Phillips 3 ways.
Very noticeable drop in my electric bill.
Not sure if I like the reliability of the Cree bulbs.
Of the 12 Cree bulbs I've returned 3 defective already.
5 year warranty and 22 year life span (supposedly).;)

MyBlackBeasts
04-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Decided to take the plunge and bought a few to try. Cree 60W equivalent 2700k...I cannot detect any difference in light output between these and the incandescents they replaced. I only put them in the most heavily-used lamps, but as the others go, I'll convert the whole house.

Please share your experiences...

Lowes was clearencing some last year so I bought 2 to try in a specific fixture.

Loved it so much I went back the next day & bought them all.

Changed out all the CFLs that I absolutely hated and has been great since.

gdsqdcr
04-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Have converted all interior and exterior lights to LED exceptnthe garage. Electrical bill drop and love not replacing bulbs.

You will not regret them.

Donald
04-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Replaced all external incadescent with 60w CREE 5000K awhile ago (16 bulbs). They work with my X10 timers and switches. CFL did not. Replaced some with the 100s when they came out. I noticed that at night they were 25% on. X10 depends on leakage current and apparently it was enough to exite the 100s.

Inside I have replaced the bulbs that I use the most with LED. Even use some floods to bounce off the ceiling.

No idea how much I save on my bill as it is erratic to begin with.

I am looking to replace the X10 system as it is not consistant in operation. Looking at Z-Wave and ZigBee.